Lt. Commander
# 61
09-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Everything in that interview is good news to me. STO being Star Trek turned into an MMO rather than an MMO being turned into Star Trek? Check. Space combat that emulates the movies and series? Check. A DS9 fan? Check.

Anyone that picks "Sacrifice of Angels" as their one of their favorites episodes gives me faith that the game will have heart to it.
Lt. Commander
# 62
09-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Much to like in that interview; it seems the "design ethics" associated with Cryptic are still alive and well, and I'm very pleased.

I was also pleased to read that the starship combat may be "scalable", in that, if you want to micro-manage every aspect of starship combat, you can -- but if you want to let the game handle some of it for you, you can choose that also.

Sometimes I'm in the mood to go all-out, but other times I play MMOs to relax and unwind when I'm tired, or when the insomnia is beating the guano out of me.

It would be much appreciated if I could still play STO passably well when I was too tired to take "hands-on" command of every single aspect of running a starship. I wouldn't expect to do as well with the computer covering for me as I would when I was handling the entire show myself -- but to still be able to have fun with STO when I wasn't at 100% would have me playing all the more often.

I'm also reminded of my few times playing Star Wars Galaxies, where I kept running into people who never, I repeat never, flew a starship in-game -- not even to travel from planet A to planet B.

Yes, I confess, I found this frogging _weird_. I still do. It's Star Wars, for Yoda's sake. Flying around in starships -- even just to travel or to sightsee -- is part of the deal.

And yet, I repeatedly encountered players who had access to starships in-game, and yet proudly announced that they never used them, and travelled everywhere in-game by zoning (transport shuttle) only.

Now, Star Trek Online is not Star Wars Galaxies (thank Yahweh!), and players will have to fly a starship if they want to progress in-game. A scalable level of difficulty when operating a starship in combat might go a long way towards keeping the kind of "ultra passive" players I encountered in SWG still playing happily, I suppose.

But again, playing a Star Wars game and never flying a starship, even though you have access to one? That's like going into a Chinese restaurant and complaining because they don't serve hamburgers ...

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 63
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
He sounds like a TRUE Trekkie, and not just a game designer/star wars fan/average scifi guy. I think my worries of Star Trek being mishandled have been put to rest. Anyone who says A)DS9 is his favorite and B)Can give such a detailed description of his favorite episodes is okay in my book. P.S. I too own a bat'leth
Lt. Commander
# 64
09-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I really hope they do end up using a system that is true to the series like his interview suggests. It would turn away some people but it would bring in a lot more, people who really want a deep and tactical mmo (and it would appease all us trekkies <3)
Lt. Commander
# 65
09-10-2008, 02:13 AM
"This is not going to be another cookie-cutter MMO with a Star Trek skin on it. STO will be the unique experience that you have been waiting for."

I've been hurt before, Al...

Be kind.
Lt. Commander
# 66
09-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Great interview.

However am I the only one who read that he used to work on "The Sims Online" then had their brains kick into repeating "Please do a better job than that, please do a better job than that, ..." over and over?
Lt. Commander
# 67
09-10-2008, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keo
Great interview.

However am I the only one who read that he used to work on "The Sims Online" then had their brains kick into repeating "Please do a better job than that, please do a better job than that, ..." over and over?
No, you were not the only one to think that very same thing.
Lt. Commander
# 68
09-10-2008, 10:25 AM
GEKO!

Rumor Control is leading the game. Turns out accuracy may need to be nerfed.

Lt. Commander
# 69
09-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Welcome Aboard Captain!!!
Glad to see you and Cryptic are on top of things and want to make as good a game as we want to play!!
Lt. Commander
# 70
09-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Thank you for the interview and sounds like the game is in good hands.