Lt. Commander
# 71
09-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Awesome. So good to know we've got a genuine fanboy desgining STO!
Lt. Commander
# 72
09-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Sounds like some good stuff! I can't wait til this game comes out, i will be holding my breath til then ..... lol
Lt. Commander
# 73 CAPTAIN'S LOG proposal
09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I'd like to have a Captain's Log options to be voice and writing available. We would do a log while in game that would be stored/saved in our cryptic on-line web account temporary to be exported on the web to put in a report for our respective fleet to read/learn about our in game activity while we are playing.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 74
09-10-2008, 04:51 PM
First and foremost, I want people to know that this is not an attempt to flame or bash Captain Al.

However, is anyone else concerned that the lead designer on this game, a Star Trek game, a game from an IP that is about exploration, science and the unknown, is a combat designer?

Was anyone else as concerned for the safety of the ingame exploration and diplomatic solutions components of this game after reading this as I was?

Seriously, can a person say "combat" more times in an interview?

Quote:
led the combat team for Champions Online for a while,
Quote:
A: Space combat.
Quote:
I am a combat system designer at heart,
Quote:
and I am very excited about the system we have worked out for space combat.
Quote:
Space combat is nothing like typical MMO combat,
Another thing that disturbs me is how it seems everyone at Cryptic is addicted to DS9 and the Dominion War. Why is there so much emphasis at Cryptic on combat? Isn't Trek about exploration? But yet all I hear is DS9, DS9, Dominion War, Sacrafice of Angels, DS9.

Quote:
Q: What are your favorite episodes?
A: There are so many. If you had asked what my favorite series was, I would say Star Trek: Deep Space 9.
Quote:
If I had to pick one, I guess I would have to say my favorite is "Sacrifice of Angels" (DS9), where Sisko retakes DS9;
Does Cryptic really think that combat, war and DS9 is going to sell this game? DS9, by Cryptic's own poll, was far from the most favorite series in the franchise. But yet, we keep hearing from Cryptic just how great it was, how great the combat is, how great the Dominion War was.

Perhaps I am the only person who feels this way. Then so be it. But it really feels to me like this game is going to be geared for console style pew pew shoot'em up and not for exploration and the things that truly made Trek great. There have already been a ton of Trek games made. The all seemed to focus on combat. Why can't STO be the first to focus on Starfleet's primary mission?

/end rant
Lt. Commander
# 75
09-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Sounds like the type of guy I want leading the STO design team.

Looks like space combat will turn out to be well thought out, which is great.
Lt. Commander
# 76
09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
RandomRedshirt, I'm sure that exploration will be a major factor in the space part of STO. I can't see how it won't. But space combat should also be a huge factor. Don't forget that not all people will be weak Federation explorers. There are enemies all around you wanting nothing more to blow you to little pieces. In fact I look forward to doing some of that myself...

However, I do believe it will be a big part of the game so don't worry too much...yet.
Lt. Commander
# 77
09-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Nice to meet you, Captain! Thanks for putting yourself and hopefully future STO Staff out there for consideration by the community. We appreciate it!
Lt. Commander
# 78
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRedshirt View Post
First and foremost, I want people to know that this is not an attempt to flame or bash Captain Al.

However, is anyone else concerned that the lead designer on this game, a Star Trek game, a game from an IP that is about exploration, science and the unknown, is a combat designer?

Was anyone else as concerned for the safety of the ingame exploration and diplomatic solutions components of this game after reading this as I was?

Seriously, can a person say "combat" more times in an interview?

Another thing that disturbs me is how it seems everyone at Cryptic is addicted to DS9 and the Dominion War. Why is there so much emphasis at Cryptic on combat? Isn't Trek about exploration? But yet all I hear is DS9, DS9, Dominion War, Sacrafice of Angels, DS9.

Does Cryptic really think that combat, war and DS9 is going to sell this game? DS9, by Cryptic's own poll, was far from the most favorite series in the franchise. But yet, we keep hearing from Cryptic just how great it was, how great the combat is, how great the Dominion War was.

Perhaps I am the only person who feels this way. Then so be it. But it really feels to me like this game is going to be geared for console style pew pew shoot'em up and not for exploration and the things that truly made Trek great. There have already been a ton of Trek games made. The all seemed to focus on combat. Why can't STO be the first to focus on Starfleet's primary mission?

/end rant

I don't think there's cause for alarm just yet RandomRedshirt. Just because he is a combat systems designer doesn't mean that he's got a one-track mind. Virtually all MMOs, heck virtually all games are about advancement through conflict. How much experience do you get for completing a mission where no one fired a shot? Or for a mission where you went and scanned a nebula? That sort of thing is pretty arbitrary. But just like in our favorite Star Trek shows, when the time comes to fight, we fight, and so I for one hope that the exercise of fighting is a well thought out and implemented system that's fun to do and properly rewarding to me as I build my character.

And, given what's already been told to us about the model for STO, I think it has a good chance right now of bringing scads of that deeper core of Star Trek to the surface for us to enjoy.

Lt. Commander
# 79
09-10-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm just having a hard time believing Cryptic's commitment to the non-combat aspects of Trek. Everything I see, everything I hear is combat combat combat, war, conflict, combat, DS9, Dominion War, combat.

And this has been the general trend of anyone having anything to do with the franchise since Gene passed on. Can anyone out there name a Trek game in the last 10 years that had a primary focus on something other than combat?

An MMO is an ideal environment to explore the richness what is the Trek IP. Exploration, discovery, these things can actually be done in this type of environment. But yet, something tells me it's not going to get nearly the focus that Cryptic keeps saying it will, or that it deserves.

"To seek out new life, and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."

not

"To seek out new life, blow it up, blow it up again, destroy your enemy, kill kill kill and do it again."

Are we sure that we aren't looking at a Mirror STO instead of a real, true to the franchise, Star Trek MMO?
Lt. Commander
# 80
09-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRedshirt View Post
I'm just having a hard time believing Cryptic's commitment to the non-combat aspects of Trek. Everything I see, everything I hear is combat combat combat, war, conflict, combat, DS9, Dominion War, combat.

And this has been the general trend of anyone having anything to do with the franchise since Gene passed on. Can anyone out there name a Trek game in the last 10 years that had a primary focus on something other than combat?

An MMO is an ideal environment to explore the richness what is the Trek IP. Exploration, discovery, these things can actually be done in this type of environment. But yet, something tells me it's not going to get nearly the focus that Cryptic keeps saying it will, or that it deserves.

"To seek out new life, and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."

not

"To seek out new life, blow it up, blow it up again, destroy your enemy, kill kill kill and do it again."

Are we sure that we aren't looking at a Mirror STO instead of a real, true to the franchise, Star Trek MMO?
If it is going to be full of war why dont they just call it Shattered Universe 2: The MMO. Star Trek has always been about exploring the final frontier and not about combat. A good example of where combat could have come into play and didnt was "The Cobomite Maneuver" The enterprise was proceeding into unknown space and encountered the First Federation and tried every attempt to be diplomatic but still didnt fight and in the end Balok befriended them. They explored unknown space and it got tense but it didnt require the Enterprise to fire a single blast at the First Federation ship. Now the point is combat isnt always needed to make exploration interesting.