Commander
# 1 Advice for a new player?
11-19-2013, 06:05 PM
I've only been in STO for 2 months, main is a Lvl 50 Eng w/Falchion (Eng Scimi)

Looking for some solid build tips realizing I'm still working through the content and don't have access to the best/very rarest items, looking for some decent build advice to get more staying power and DPS (I guess "Tank & DPS"). I run almost entirely PVE.

I'm too new to know most of the abbreviations and I'm too new to understand these "Aux" builds and how they work.

I'm also looking for quick tips to the -must have- space and ground Boff abilities - if this is not the right place to ask please let me know where to go

Any advice appreciated. I don't mind workin' for it but I'm still new and a lotta the fancy stuff is either out of reach or I don't yet know how to get.

(P.s. I looked at the character planner builds, many of them use too many very rare items I don't think I'll be seeing for awhile yet?)

Last edited by realisticalty; 11-19-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Captain
# 2
11-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Obviously two always-on Emergency Power To X (EPTx) abilities (you probably already know that though). Aux2Bat or Damage Control Officers to drop the cooldowns so that you only need one of each, depending on if you want to keep your aux energy for heals or aux-be-damned and trim the cooldowns on your tac abilities. Attack Pattern Beta (APB) for PVE, since it helps both your own damage and your teammates, then lots of AOE attacks to exploit it. Probably all stuff you already know of course, but maybe some even newer players looking at this thread don't.

Essential gear, get your Romulan and Omega Reputations to at least T4. For Romulan, its so you can use the Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedo to absolutely rip up slower high-hull targets, and then combo it with the Zero Point console for a flat boost to any plasma weapons. T4 also unlocks the Mk12 Romulan Plasma weapons, which are really expensive, but are truly brutal in PVE if you want to spend that kind of money.

Omega side, on any ship thats going to be fighting weapon drain, you want the Omega Weapon Amplifier 2-piece bonus, likely from the Assimilated Module and Kinetic Cutting Beam. It procs fairly often, gives you a kinetic weapon with a 360 arc for energy-resistant targets, and is a big help with drain.

For Omega sets, the Assimilated Deflector and Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines are both good in their own right, and then together give you a hull heal proc that can go off whenever you're taking damage (including bleedthrough damage), to give you a big hull heal pretty regularly. Its especially handy on ships that either are going to be absorbing a lot of punishment, or simply don't have room to load up on heals. Then you top it off with your favorite shield and you're ready to go. Moreover, if you buy only the Mk11 version instead of the 12, the performance difference is so small I doubt you'd ever notice even with a parser, but it costs half as much dil and no neural processors.

Note these aren't the only good bits of gear by a long shot. Klingon Honor Guard makes a nasty torpedo or science set, or the new Dyson set looks like it will be tanky as anything for example. I just point to the 3 sets I listed above because they're very useful, very versatile, and show up in SO many builds over and over again, that they're just really handy to have in your bank.

Lastly, don't discount mission drop gear, especially weapons. Fleet Weapons are certainly among the best, but they're more a bonus than endgame essentials. On the other hand, the assorted Mk11s you can farm from various missions will gear you up for free and give you more than enough firepower to rock ESTFs, Voth, Tholians, whatever. This STO Wiki List tells you what you can get from what mission, and will let you gear up without spending a dime, saving your dil for those critical special toys, till you decide you want to go all-in and know what you really want. Perfect your layout with cheap stuff, then swap in the fancy toys. Your wallet will thank you.
Captain
# 3
11-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Best advice is to join a fleet and get all the questions you have answered over a voice chat.
EptE3+evasive maneuvers+130/100 engine power+Attack patternmega+deuterium surplus+ aux2inertial dampeners+ the biggest ship you can find = damn right
Commander
# 4
11-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks, reginamala78, for your reply, it's very helpful and I hope others will also lend me their advice.

dahminus : I'm already a member of a fleet, but I find the expertise here to be exactly what I'm looking for, and I can come back and reread and refer to it anytime.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by realisticalty View Post
I've only been in STO for 2 months, main is a Lvl 50 Eng w/Falchion (Eng Scimi)

Looking for some solid build tips realizing I'm still working through the content and don't have access to the best/very rarest items, looking for some decent build advice to get more staying power and DPS (I guess "Tank & DPS"). I run almost entirely PVE.

I'm too new to know most of the abbreviations and I'm too new to understand these "Aux" builds and how they work.

I'm also looking for quick tips to the -must have- space and ground Boff abilities - if this is not the right place to ask please let me know where to go

Any advice appreciated. I don't mind workin' for it but I'm still new and a lotta the fancy stuff is either out of reach or I don't yet know how to get.

(P.s. I looked at the character planner builds, many of them use too many very rare items I don't think I'll be seeing for awhile yet?)

Until you get tech doffs(duty officers) you can buy common gear from the vendor or off the exchange, or as mentioned, episode replays :http://sto.gamepedia.com/Episode_replay
Just use find in that webpage for whatever you want. A traditional DHC forward, turrets in the rear build should carry you till you get Omega Rep Gear, feel free to look for me if you need a hand holder in STFs. Farming ISE ( Infected Space Elite) is probably the easiest way to farm Omega Marks. Space traits you will want Romulans with operative, and Remans with infiltrator, more experienced Roms will correct me if I'm wrong. For now, run with a Positron Shield, and a regular Shield Array, with [Cap] and/or [Reg] if possible.
Empire Veteran
# 6
11-20-2013, 12:48 PM
On ground....

If you play Engi you absolutely want the "Enemy Neutralization" kit for ground missions. Chroniton mines + transphasic bombs will ruin any NPC's day, even bosses.

For your boffs on ground I generally run 2 scis, 1 eng and 1 tactical as my away team. Load the scis up with heals and the eng with shield recharges and you'll be invincible. Give your 1 tactical the lunge ability so he can drop-kick everybody.

Last edited by variant37; 11-20-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 7
11-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Develop a thick skin and do not take what is said in the forums or game chat too seriuosly.

There are lots of good people here but they all be crazy.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Career Officer
# 8
11-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by realisticalty View Post

Aux2Bat itself is a bridge ability that slams all your Aux power into Weapon, Shield, and Engine power. Technician DOffs reduce cooldowns whenever you use Aux2Bat - which means constantly spamming between 2 copies of Aux2Bat while you have 3 Technician Doffs slotted will result in all your abilities on Global Cooldown.

For example, Cannon Scatter Volley has a 30s cooldown and a 15s duplicate ability cooldown. So if you have two copies of CSV, you'll be able to fire off a CSV every 15 seconds. If you're spamming Aux2Bat, CSV will end with a cooldown of around 15s. This means you only need one copy to have the effect/availability of two copies. This is obviously very useful for ships without many Tactical stations.

As for "must have" BOff abilities, you will want Tactical Team 1. It will automatically and nigh-instantaneously balance your shield facings. If you have 10,000 shields on each facing, normally 10,000 damage to that facing will expose your hull. TacTeam will bring redistribute shield strength to that facing, so they would need to deal 40,000 damage to that facing before your hull is exposed. In general we carry two copies of TT1 (cooldown of 30s, duplicate ability cooldown of 15s, duration of 10s) so we can have it active 2/3rds of the time. (If you're using Aux2Bat, then you can get by with one.)

In general, we also want a pair of two different Emergency Power to X (usually Shields and Weapon) abilities. Those have a self cooldown of 45 seconds, a duration of 30 seconds, and a shared cooldown of 15 seconds. If you have two EPtY and two EPtX, then you would be able to keep both constantly active. (If you're using Aux2Bat, then you only need one of each.)

If you're not geared, you probably don't have three purple Technician DOffs. In that case I would recommend starting with the following "standard" build and tweak to taste:

Ens Tac: Tactical Team 1
Lt Sci: Hazard Emitters 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2
Lt Eng: Emergency Power to Weapons 1, Emergency Power to Shields 2
Cdr Eng: Emergency Power to Weapons 1, Emergency Power to Shields 2, Auxiliary to Structural Integrity Field 2
Cdr Tac: Tactical Team 1, ?, ?, ?

Two TT1s will keep it active 2/3rds of the time. Two EPtS2s will keep it constantly active, and combined they will keep your shields strong and properly distributed. TSS2 is a good shield heal and combined with Rotate Shield Frequency (your Eng Cap ability) which gives good shield resistance, you'll have rather tough shields.

Aux2SIF2 has a cooldown of 15s, is a decent instant heal, and improves your damage resistance for 10s. As a result, you should be firing it off every time it's off cooldown. This means you'll have the resistance boost 2/3rds of the time, and be constantly topping off your hull. If you're really getting hurt, fire off HE1. HE1 will also counter being on fire, or having the Borg Shield Neutralizer on you.

Tough shields and tough hull, you won't have much to worry about. When you become more experienced, you'll probably want to switch the Lt Cdr to a Tactical BOff, but this is a solid build to start with.

Two EPtW1s will feed power to your weapons, and help counter drain. You generally want as much weapon power as possible, because you get +2% damage for every point of power above 50.

The remaining three Tac abilities depends on your loadout. If you're running cannons (Dual Heavy Cannons, Dual Cannons, Cannons, Turrets) you'll want Cannon Scatter Volley or Cannon Rapid Fire. I recommend CSV for PvE, because most enemies come in groups. I'm not sure how viable DHCs/Turrets are in a Scimitar, since DHCs have a firing arc of 45 degrees and the Falchion only has a turn rate of 7.

If you're running beams (Dual Beam Bank, Beam Array) instead you would want Fire At Will. Beam Overload isn't bad if you're using Dual Beam Banks, because as an Engineer you'll have Nadion Inversion to offset the drain from BO. If you have a torpedo launcher, you may want Torpedo Spread. Attack Patterns are nice too.

At this point you can see why Aux2Bat (with Technician DOffs) is so popular - if you were using Aux2Bat you'll be able to carry one copy of an Attack Pattern, a Cannon/Beam ability, and a Torpedo ability while still having them at the fastest cooldown possible. Without Aux2Bat you'll need two copies to use them as much as possible, and you won't have enough room for the things you'd want.

With regards to hangers, the Elite Romulan Drone Ship is easily one of the best (if not the best) carrier pets available.

Hope that helps!

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk

Last edited by darkjeff; 11-20-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Career Officer
# 9
11-20-2013, 01:31 PM
For ground, I prefer the Engineer's "summon an army" approach.

Use the Fabrication kit (the one that summons a turret, a mortar, a supply drone, and a seeker drone) and grab the Duty Officers that give you a chance of summoning extra turrets, mortars, and supply drones.

Take two Engineering BOffs, give them Shield Recharge, Quick Fix/Weapon Malfunction, Turret, and Supply Drone.

That gives you 3-9 turrets, 1-3 mortars, 1 seeker drone, and 3-9 supply drones in any one fight.

Take a Science BOff, fill her up with healing skills. Take a Tac BOff, give him Draw Fire, Lunge, Sweeping Strike, and Smoke Grenade. This means you have an abundance of healing (shields from the two Engineers, health from your medic) and the Tac can effectively tank.

Give your healer a sniper rifle, the Engineers a pulsewave, and the Tac either a melee weapon or a pulsewave. When you attack, the Tac runs in first because the Engineers take a moment to set up turrets and your medic is busy using the secondary fire on the sniper rifle. Then the Engineers will run after the Tac. If anything ignores them to go after you or the medic, they end up taking shotgun (pulsewave) blasts to the back.

I've found it to be a very effective (if somewhat slow due to needing to set up turrets) tactic that requires minimal effort.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Commander
# 10
11-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendragon527 View Post
Until you get tech doffs(duty officers) you can buy common gear from the vendor or off the exchange, or as mentioned, episode replays :http://sto.gamepedia.com/Episode_replay
Just use find in that webpage for whatever you want. A traditional DHC forward, turrets in the rear build should carry you till you get Omega Rep Gear, feel free to look for me if you need a hand holder in STFs. Farming ISE ( Infected Space Elite) is probably the easiest way to farm Omega Marks. Space traits you will want Romulans with operative, and Remans with infiltrator, more experienced Roms will correct me if I'm wrong. For now, run with a Positron Shield, and a regular Shield Array, with [Cap] and/or [Reg] if possible.
Re: ISE, thanks, was looking for a good way to farm omega marks, gotta farm more Rommie marks too. The mission replay link is excellent, although I have to play through (or skip) much of the content yet to get to the items I want.

I've tried DHC and my ship is slow to turn so I found it confining, but I'll either do that or go plasma shields. So far I've found one torp launcher to be very handy, do you agree I should keep one up front or make it all beams or cannons?