Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartshot View Post
I can see a guys log in name on my friends list. Are you nuts? Have you ever heard of hackers?

This is a stupid idea to let anyone see my log in name.

I had my account hacked in WoW.

This is just asking for trouble.
If your Account login = Forumhandle /@name = "Heartshot", then it's you own fault if you can't read. If you created your account way, way, way, way back, then it wasn't in to seperate account login and forum handle/@name.

Contact tech support to change your Forumhandle "Heartshot" into something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartshot View Post
I had my account hacked in WoW.
That's because you don't understand elementary IT security in an era where IT security should be your 1st priority.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 01:32 PM
If they can get your password, they can get your log in name too without any trouble.

But in reality, even with your log in name being public knowledge, your perfectly safe. There is no magic wand people can wave to get your info.

Like email addresses. Your email address is your log in, but there is no epidemic of hacked email's.

Your safe, don't worry. If it bothers you so much, get cryptic to change your username.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken07
ILike email addresses. Your email address is your log in, but there is no epidemic of hacked email's.
Actually, email addresses are one of the most commonly "hacked" things on the internet. The technical term is "cracked". "Hacked" implies modification through unconventional means, such as rewiring a circuit, changing machine code, or subsituting/adding content to a program. Cracked implies that some form of security was broken. But nitpicking aside, yeah, emails are actually the primary target. With someone's email account, you can get all sort of information, like their login info for all their accounts, including online banking if they have it. Also, China is in trouble with Google right now because of hacked email accounts. If you're going to make statements about what is and is not an "epidemic", try to watch the news more often.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodymanuel
The game actually shows your @ name which you were supposed to set different than your login name for exactly that reason
but when alot of people signed up, they didnt know that their username would be displayed in game...hence alot of people may have made the names the same.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 01:46 PM