Lt. Commander
# 31
01-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigorius
e free headstart and then they don't let you in, then they have a breach of their advertising agreement! But nowhere did they give you a guarantee that there would be no problems.
Which is why I am personally not upset, however it bothers me even more when I see people on these forums who are such dedicated fans that they chastise the people who do not feel they are getting all that they paid for, because in blunt reality, they are not.

It's the same as back before this weekend, almost any time someone posted a complaint about the game, they were met with a page full of "its beta!" replies. No crap its beta. That's the BEST time to complain about anything and everything, because its most likely time for things to be changed and fixed.

In all reality though, it could be worse. Star Wars Galaxies was basically a paid beta after release, they were fixing and upgrading and changing things for months after people started actually paying their monthly fees.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitygoo
Yup, pretty much this. I'd have save the money if I knew more about their lack of finished products. To think I was just upset about skill cap and lack of Klink content. Now to have paid to forum troll? what a joke of a beta that was. Get your crap together Cryptic. Feb. 2nd will be even worse..
You didn't pay for anything. A pre-order was the same cost of not pre-ordering.

Pre-ordering got you the advertised head-start. You got a head-start. They didn't advertise "A head start with a bug free experience and no server downtime type of headstart". Give it a rest - I've never been in any "head start" in a mmorpg that was bug-free and had no downtime.

In fact, that's a problem with all mmorpgs in general, isn't it? Bugs and downtime? Why would you expect more here?
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Yup, pretty much this. I'd have save the money if I knew more about their lack of finished products.
If you did play the beta... what did you expect? :p

There is NOT ONE single mmorpg out there who´s beyond beta status
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel-Hyena
1. No one "pays" for headstart, as others have pointed out.

2. Bugs and server issues aside, it's not beta since you get to KEEP your character afterwards. It's a perk for pre-ordering, and Cryptic didn't have to give you if they didn't want to. Issues aside, you'll still be ahead of everyone else come launch day that didn't pre-order.

OK I am tired of the no one pays for headstart BS...YES I DID ... The preorder was 5 bucks and it dont come off the price fo the game. And yes i know it says it does..but here is a paste of the checkout cart.

Star Trek Online Deluxe Edition - Digital Download PC
Download $54.99 Remove
Star Trek Online - Preorder PC
Download $5.00 Remove

$59.99 SubTotal
$59.99 Total

the game itself is 54.99 we paid an extra 5 for the preorder.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
I wonder if they plan on fixing this... So far in 2 days, I've lost something like 6 hours play time thai I purchased...
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisen
OK I am tired of the no one pays for headstart BS...YES I DID ... The preorder was 5 bucks.
My preorder was free. You got suckered.

I think this game is far from perfect too, but you'd have to be an idiot to expect an MMO to have no downtime at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Yup, pretty much this. I'd have save the money if I knew more about their lack of finished products. To think I was just upset about skill cap and lack of Klink content. Now to have paid to forum troll? what a joke of a beta that was. Get your crap together Cryptic. Feb. 2nd will be even worse..
You paid for the game. The headstart was an extra gift, you didn't buy it. Stop acting so entitled.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisen
OK I am tired of the no one pays for headstart BS...YES I DID ... The preorder was 5 bucks and it dont come off the price fo the game. And yes i know it says it does..but here is a paste of the checkout cart.

Star Trek Online Deluxe Edition - Digital Download PC
Download $54.99 Remove
Star Trek Online - Preorder PC
Download $5.00 Remove

$59.99 SubTotal
$59.99 Total

the game itself is 54.99 we paid an extra 5 for the preorder.
But that's not what's happening. Or at least that's not what is supposed to be happening according to the details of the purchase agreement. And yes I had the same 'charges' when I ordered the SyFy bundle through Atari. But according to what was posted during the transaction, only the $5.00 will be billed at pre-order download purchase. The invoice you receive shows all 'charges' but in reality $5 was charged and on Tuesday the regular price of the game will be charged minus a $5 credit. (I haven't seen my charge clear the bank yet but I'll be watching to make sure this is done as stated!)

And all of the pre-orders that I've seen include some type of bonus like a Boff or Deflector Shield or something. It also includes the right of anyone who orders to participate in the headstart. But the headstart is most likely being done to help catch more of the bugs that are in initial releases. If you do choose to participate in a pre-launch activity like headstart you have chosen to participate in identifying pre-launch problems.
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLiam View Post
You paid for the game. The headstart was an extra gift, you didn't buy it. Stop acting so entitled.
No, head start was not a "gift." Head Start was advertised as one of the services/featured offered for the product if you purchased a pre-release copy of the game. There was also some confusion, due to poor advertising at retail points of sale, about pre-order bonuses and Head Start.

I paid $59.95 on January 13 at Direct2Drive. Here's what I paid for:

* "Exclusive" TOS Uniforms
* Open Beta Access
* Head Start/Early Start Access
* Multispatial Personal shield
* Joined Trill Race
* Two emotes

Nowhere on D2D did I read anything about not getting my pre-order bonuses at Head Start. The advertising read like I would have access to my bonuses at Head Start.

I purchased the DDE because I wanted all of the things that D2D and Cryptic advertised as being available. So yeah, I paid for Head Start. Yeah, it sucks that I've only been able to play for 6 or 7 hours this weekend, especially when they knew about the server stability/capacity issues early in Open Beta and were supposedly taking steps to fix them.

I do hope that things get better and that this game doesn't turn in to CO or SWG... or worse, another Hellgate.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLiam View Post
You, sir, know absolutely nothing about retail or business law.

If something is an advertised part of a product, regardless of what they call it ("free bonus", "package deal", etc) it is legally considered part of the purchase. For financial purposes, if I paid for a game that comes with a bonus, as long as that bonus is advertised as part of the game before I bought it, then it's just as much a part of my purchase as the game itself.

It's a shame that there's no buffer on internet forums to block out posts by people who feel the need to make blatant statements without having any clue what they are talking about.

If I buy a car from a dealer who advertises "free TV with purchase" and then do not get the TV, they are in breach of contract for violating the terms of sale. The "free TV" is part of the sale of the car as much as the car is. If the dealership delivers my car and doesn't give me a TV as advertised, they have committed false advertising.

Now I know this isn't quite the same thing that's going on with this game, because they are not INTENTIONALLY causing the bugs, but that is almost a separate issue. The issue here of whether or not the head-start is paid for or not is a no brainer to anyone who actually has the slightest clue how the world works.