Lt. Commander
# 211
01-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodorn
Regardless of what you want to call this, it is a business and needs to be regulated to be fair to the consumers. I really think you would be happier if they had a standard to go by and you could play the game whenever you wanted to without worrying about lag, disconnects, instant server downtime, etc.
/loses even more faith in humanity.
Lt. Commander
# 212
01-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRiker78 View Post
LMAO! Best thread ever on the Internet!
I agree that it's ridiculous to try to get things done with congress' help, however I do hope that one day we gamers form a union so we can hold companies accountable when they do stupid things (like SOE revoking lifetime subscriptions or blizzard including shady things in their EULA about agreeing to allow your computer to be continually inspected by warden). Not a "ZOMGBOYCOTTT" group, but a platform for voicing our concerns over misleading advertising, shovelware, and general things.

I had hoped the ECA could be this group, but we all know the terrible road they went down...
Lt. Commander
# 213
01-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodorn
I think gamers should contact their local goverment representative about establishing legislation so that companys who create mmo's have to meet a certain service level for their customers. This is not to just bash Cryptic, but if you pay for a game, you should at least be able to play it without worrying about servers going down every five minutes, server not responding messages, etc. The only only reason they can get away with this is because they don't have any rules or punishment if they disobey those rules. The trend will continue to get worse if people don't join together and put a stop to it. Microtransactions will get worse, etc.
Please think things through before writing/saying them.

What would such regulation do to actually help us, the gamer? Say a server crashes and they're found in violation of the law. What would happen?

Would they get fined? The company that provides the service getting fined won't help us. They'll have less funds from which to pay developers and thus less resources the make the game more stable and to build new content. Fines would hurt them and us.

Would they be told to fix the problem? Sure. But they don't need legislature to do that. They already have a vested interest in fixing the problem and improving the quality of service: if it sucks they'll lose subscriptions and lose money.

Maybe what you're after is a preventative aspect of it? MMO creators will know of the regulations so try harder up front to ensure a quality service? Makes sense, but there's a downside to that, too. This would add more risk in the development of MMOs. As has been seen, there are always problems when they're first released. So many companies won't bother trying for fear of breaking the law. Games like STO, in particular, that had a rough development process, probably would never happen.

So yes. Before you suggest something, please make sure it's not a canoe full of holes? Now we have a thread with dozens of pages and no point.
Lt. Commander
# 214
01-30-2010, 08:28 PM
I for one will be suing Turbine for all they are worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 215
01-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Sinner
Maybe Denny Crane will take the case!
<Harvey Birdman>

I'll take the case!

</Harvey Birdman>
Lt. Commander
# 216
01-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colon_Burns View Post
I really think such legislation would have a great chance of passing. This is a huge issue in todays society, and the nation would really get behind us.
And then a week later the Circuit courts would start granting temporary injunctions staying it from being enforced, pending their throwing it out as blatantly unconstitutional a year later.
Lt. Commander
# 217
01-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HittingSmoke View Post
<Harvey Birdman>

I'll take the case!

</Harvey Birdman>
Did you get that thing I sent you?
Lt. Commander
# 218
01-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Sinner
Did you get that thing I sent you?
*tear*
Lt. Commander
# 219
01-30-2010, 08:44 PM
I hope this is a troll. The word government makes my blood pressure rise astronomically; only slightly less than idiots who think it's the answer to everything. Politician's don't know their ass from their elbow in just about any topic, even those that concern running a nation.

As much as I like to bang on Cryptic, you can stick your legislation you-know-where.
Lt. Commander
# 220
01-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck1771 View Post
Too Late! The ESRB mean anything to you?
Crap......
Oh well........