Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodorn
Regardless of what you want to call this, it is a business and needs to be regulated to be fair to the consumers. I really think you would be happier if they had a standard to go by and you could play the game whenever you wanted to without worrying about lag, disconnects, instant server downtime, etc.
Read your nearest economics book. Increased government regulation decreases GDP, therefore increased regulation on MMO's decreases output from the developers in the form of content and expansions in particular.

That being said, feel free to contact your congressional representatives (state and federal) and petition them with your concerns. I'm sure that the aid taking notes from your phone call will enjoy the break from complaints about rampant unemployment and increasing corporate taxes.

If you're not satisfied with the amount of regulation on the market I would suggest moving to North Korea. Glorious Leader regulates everything.
Lt. Commander
# 22
"Hi, i'm from the government and we're here to help." Those are the most dreaded words in the history of civilization.
Lt. Commander
# 23
No, this business doesn't need to be 'regulated'. If a company offers crappy service as the norm it goes out of business. THATS the regulation on crappy service.

Btw, this is the first actual crash after 26 hours that I know of. There have been FAR less problems then other launches, including WoWs. Don't overreact. And NEVER demand Government intervention! Sheesh, is there a thing the Gov't DOESN'T screw up? While costing taxpayers millions?
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Start getting the government involved and you'll see yourself getting taxed for your internet eventually.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2010, 12:47 PM
The idiots on this thread are two fold, the ones saying government is the problem. and two, the ones saying they cant do anything about it.

You either vote to make government what it is, or you dont vote and hope someone else tries to fix a problem you helped create by not voting, either way if you havent got a solution keep your piehole shut.

As for the the game companies, they are regulated like any business, those that regulate (not government) need to know about the problems.

Your first step is to contact the BBB, if enough people report problems they will escalate. Have a nice day.
Lt. Commander
# 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klystron View Post
"Hi, i'm from the government and we're here to help." Those are the most dreaded words in the history of civilization.
QFT

Lt. Commander
# 27
I'm not a politician, but I can say this, if the government were to pass some form a bill creating set parameters of quality for all MMOs... there wouldn't be any. Hey look at that, servers failed, 500,000$ fine. Yea, businesses would drop MMOs faster then crack heads drop the rock when 5-0 roll by. So yea, lets get the government involved and enjoy the video game industry go poof overnight... kind of like our economy.
Lt. Commander
# 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodorn
I think gamers should contact their local goverment representative about establishing legislation so that companys who create mmo's have to meet a certain service level for their customers. This is not to just bash Cryptic, but if you pay for a game, you should at least be able to play it without worrying about servers going down every five minutes, server not responding messages, etc. The only only reason they can get away with this is because they don't have any rules or punishment if they disobey those rules. The trend will continue to get worse if people don't join together and put a stop to it. Microtransactions will get worse, etc.
Let me guess... this is the first MMO you've ever been with at launch? This is my 13th MMO launch, and this one has quite smooth compared to the others. The first few weeks are full of unscheduled crashes. If you're not prepared to deal with that then don't enter your Retail Key and come back in 3-4 months to use your free time when all the kinks are worked out. They're all like this at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryoguns View Post
Really? With nuts like Jack Thompson out there, you want government MORE involved with gamers?

The servers will stabilize eventually as the game gets more ironed out. Hell, it's not even the official release day yet. It's just been headstart for ONE day.
Yes, I want them involved. I think I indicated that in my original post. They had plenty of time in the closed and open beta's to iron this stuff out. They knew about the problems they had when they released the game and went ahead with it anyhow because there was nobody there to stop them or fine them. If they started losing money when the server went down due to fines, etc, the would probably care more about keeping things stable.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
OP, you do know that, the moment any law is passed to allow any sort of regulation in video games, they'll censor them, right?

Don't believe me? Ask an Australian how bad it is when a government body can tell a developer or publisher what they can and can't do to their games.