Lt. Commander
# 31
01-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Yes, legislators, forget jobs, health care, gun rights, the environment, schools, education, transportation, and infrastructure... THIS is the hot button issue that will make or break you!

Lt. Commander
# 32
Good god man can you imagine Harry Reid, nancy botox and Mitch(I am proud i am an Idiot) MCconel(spelled wrong) fighting over Blues and Phat Loot--please no it is way to disturbing of a mental picture and the consumer would just get screwed anyway it would provide those crooks with yet another avenue to grab our cash.
Lt. Commander
# 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodorn
I think gamers should contact their local goverment representative about establishing legislation so that companys who create mmo's have to meet a certain service level for their customers. This is not to just bash Cryptic, but if you pay for a game, you should at least be able to play it without worrying about servers going down every five minutes, server not responding messages, etc. The only only reason they can get away with this is because they don't have any rules or punishment if they disobey those rules. The trend will continue to get worse if people don't join together and put a stop to it. Microtransactions will get worse, etc.
OMG, you need to go outside some....
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-30-2010, 12:50 PM
It is somewhat regulated by certain local consumer laws. That being said, consumer laws tend to differ on what an "acceptable" downtime is, based on the service being paid for. The acceptable downtime for an ISP before you get a refund is pretty short. This, being a game, is likely not going to get the same treatment. A few hours isn't uncommon, as well. In short, perhaps stop whining? You haven't started paying yet. (Even if you bought a lifetime sub, that doesn't begin until Feb. 2.)
Lt. Commander
# 35
except service outages in the case of online content is simply a fact of life, it's no more evil disservice then your ISP going out, which sucks and is annoying but does happen.The fact is (and if you took cryptic to court over this, this WOULD be their finding) Cryptic is doing their best to deliver their services to you, needed maintinance is a PART of that, and other server crashes are an "unforseeable problem"
Cryptic would in a course course would be found to be acting in "good faith"

now you see that's the thing about consumer protection laws, they don't nesscarily demand perfection they mearly demand good faith deliverance of product. now cryptic is pretty damn good about delivering all things considered, and it's worth noteing when CO went live, on the third day or so something took their servers down for close to 24 hours, they gave everyone a free day. Cryptic did NOT have to do that, but they did... (they're not gonna give us a free day because head start IS free days)

so yeah in a nut shell cryptic's doing their best to deliver a product.

P.S.

you do realize this law proably already is covered and a MMO specific law would likely just kill off MMOs all together because the way you describe it no MMO could manage, even WoW likely has the odd "unexpected down time" occasionally
Lt. Commander
# 36
there are laws, rules and regulations that they need to adhere to, you just need to know where the company and it's servers are based, then sift through the local laws etc to find out your rights.

with this game being owned by an american company, and the servers also being in america, then you will know where to look if you feel atari/cryptic are scamming you/not providing a satisfactory service etc. however american buisness laws are not overly consumer friendly, however when a consumer does have a legitimate claim it can cost the company a ton of $$$'s.
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
This is what politicians know about the internetz.

http://www.healthnoob.com/aging/series-of-tubes/
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chal
The idiots on this thread are two fold, the ones saying government is the problem. and two, the ones saying they cant do anything about it.

You either vote to make government what it is, or you dont vote and hope someone else tries to fix a problem you helped create by not voting, either way if you havent got a solution keep your piehole shut.

As for the the game companies, they are regulated like any business, those that regulate (not government) need to know about the problems.

Your first step is to contact the BBB, if enough people report problems they will escalate. Have a nice day.
Yes when i was voting thats exactly what i was thinking..they will one day save me from EVIL MMO companies. :p
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodorn
I think gamers should contact their local goverment representative about establishing legislation so that companys who create mmo's have to meet a certain service level for their customers. This is not to just bash Cryptic, but if you pay for a game, you should at least be able to play it without worrying about servers going down every five minutes, server not responding messages, etc. The only only reason they can get away with this is because they don't have any rules or punishment if they disobey those rules. The trend will continue to get worse if people don't join together and put a stop to it. Microtransactions will get worse, etc.
I have to think it would be a good idea if it not for the sad truth that the government would probably fail at this I do agree that there needs to be some standard of production though.
Lt. Commander
# 40 Omg
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Jesus on a Cracker