Lt. Commander
# 1 Server situation?
01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Okay so as we all know the server went down about 20 minutes ago (maybe more). Since then the support page has been updated explaining that they will be applying a patch from 3:00am to 5:00am (no time zone stated but ill guess its PST).

Now judging by my guess that it is indeed PST there is just over 14 hours until it is 3:00am. The server is not up still however so are we having to wait out 17 hours for the servers to come back online or what?

Sorry but the support page message doesn't really give enough specifics.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeh86 View Post
Okay so as we all know the server went down about 20 minutes ago (maybe more). Since then the support page has been updated explaining that they will be applying a patch from 3:00am to 5:00am (no time zone stated but ill guess its PST).

Now judging by my guess that it is indeed PST there is just over 14 hours until it is 3:00am. The server is not up still however so are we having to wait out 17 hours for the servers to come back online or what?

Sorry but the support page message doesn't really give enough specifics.
That can't be right at all, that was for maintenance they did earlier today. The most recent message about the server going down a few minutes ago is:

Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is available again. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team The Star Trek Online Team
Lt. Commander
# 3 copy and paste ???
01-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Man those guys from Cryptic don't even bother to properly give a downtime reason - they just copy and paste pre-prerepared text from the notepad - and while doing this they actually can't even do that properly

Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is available again. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team The Star Trek Online Team
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUE_The6BillionKgMan
That can't be right at all, that was for maintenance they did earlier today. The most recent message about the server going down a few minutes ago is:

they changed said message to a cut and paster version of whats in the news network forum... we are back on for 3am to 5am. That being said, I have NO CLUE how much time is left
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Yea I started with the first message. I hit refresh and it said 3AM to 5AM. Next thing you know its back to the original message.

I find it quite rude however that they dont even own up and apologise for these hiccups. I know they are expected and a lot of people here are aware of that but it still goes a long way to say 'sorry guys we know we had issues' etc etc.

The best bet is give it 2 weeks and the CEO will be saying what a successful and flawless launch it was and how excited he is that they will be bringing new content in 2 months time blah blah.

The last message from him made me laugh because it was along that vein. It often makes you wonder if you are on the right game/forum. Or perhaps being as its star trek an alternate timeline...

Either way a little message of apologies would go far...
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 01:08 PM
More detailed downtime messages would be nice. Like "Hi folks, we're running the login server on a 486DX... it will be three weeks to have the parts custom fabricated to replace it."
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
The best bet is give it 2 weeks and the CEO will be saying what a successful and flawless launch it was and how excited he is that they will be bringing new content in 2 months time blah blah.

The last message from him made me laugh because it was along that vein. It often makes you wonder if you are on the right game/forum. Or perhaps being as its star trek an alternate timeline...
The CEO of Cryptic Studios does not give interviews or public statements. Cryptic's CEO is John Needham, and he doesn't speak to us directly. I don't think he ever has.

The guy who usually gives these messages is Craig Zinkievich. He's the boss of Star Trek Online, yes, but his title is just 'Executive Producer'. He reports to the guys upstairs. You'll notice Zinc doesn't talk much about business or customer stuff, he talks only about the game, and literally only about the game.

Jack Emmert, the COO for Cryptic, does give interviews. To be entirely fair, he is occasionally frank when something goes horribly wrong. But only in retrospect, months or years after.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acyl View Post
the game.
Damn, I just lost.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acyl View Post
The CEO of Cryptic Studios does not give interviews or public statements. Cryptic's CEO is John Needham, and he doesn't speak to us directly. I don't think he ever has.

The guy who usually gives these messages is Craig Zinkievich. He's the boss of Star Trek Online, yes, but his title is just 'Executive Producer'. He reports to the guys upstairs. You'll notice Zinc doesn't talk much about business or customer stuff, he talks only about the game, and literally only about the game.

Jack Emmert, the COO for Cryptic, does give interviews. To be entirely fair, he is occasionally frank when something goes horribly wrong. But only in retrospect, months or years after.
Well you know what I meant...

Either way we will get a letter from someone high up believing this was all a huge success.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Well you know what I meant...

Either way we will get a letter from someone high up believing this was all a huge success.
Yeah. You're right. They'll never admit stuff has been going wrong. That's bad publicity. So they won't. Even if they do admit there's connection issues, they'll say something like 'whoa, it's awesome, we had so many people trying to log in, this game is SO popular'.

Which is exactly what they said in beta. It's not lying; it's true. Absolutely true. Every word of it. But it puts a positive spin on the whole matter.

That's business, though. If I were in their position, I'd do the same.

Thing is though...objectively speaking - this launch has actually been smoother than a lot of MMOs in recent memory. Like, say, ****. I'm looking at you, ****...