Lt. Commander
# 1 MMO Launches
01-30-2010, 12:41 PM
OK, I'd just like to state to perhaps the younger crowd here, this is just par for the course.

I am not saying it's OK, or we should just accept these type of things in MMO launches, but it is the way it goes.

There are a lot of factors that go into a MMO instead of a single player game, alot of network code and all that geek talk that I know little about.

What I will say is this.

Ii've played a CRAP load of MMO's too many, I rarely am able to stick with it more then a few months but I tend to enjoy the company of my fellow geeks and with that I give you the REAL crappy list of launches.

Anarchy Online...I couldn't play for an entire 3 months with out a crash every hour, oh by the way in the end it was my fav.

Star Wars Online, minus the fact that I cry still about the fam CU and NGE, the first week was hell, you couldn't even play(no one could) for the first 3 days.

UO... DL all the time the first YEAR!!

EQ- probably coined the phrase ROLLBACK, because every crash ROLLED your toon back a few levels.

So those are some of the "OLDER" games. How about "NEW".

EQII- I don't think they learned from EQ!!!! ROLL BACKS!

WOW - Hard to remember foks but THE MIGHTY WOW, had a lot of issues the first MONTH!!! Crashes, DL's, Quests not working and so on.

Age of Conan, The game wasn't even completed, GFX issues, CRASHES again, Quests not working.

Warhammer Online, Not getting rewards from PVE or RVR. Items not loading into your slots oh and guess what...CRASHES....

DarkFall - YOU couldn't even GET AN ACCOUNT to work even when you finally were able too create one. Also, skills would not increase on the right path, not many crashes however.

Fallen Earth - Just a MESS in general the first few days.

And so on and so forth foks. Again not saying it's fair or right, but it is the way of things..

Fire your Trollpedos!

EDITED due to TERRIBLE SPELLING!!!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Alot of the younger generation have missed the FUN we had. I still feel the pain of loosing all my work on my warden in EQ2, which i think is my worsest experience of a launch

People still do not believe that in early wow there was weekends where all NPC disappeared

I think in my own personal opinion this is so far the best Launch of an mmo, the graphical stability and increase is always a bonus. The only reason the issues are happening is the volume of user, which is a good sign for the future of the game
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaidd View Post
Alot of the younger generation have missed the FUN we had. I still feel the pain of loosing all my work on my warden in EQ2, which i think is my worsest experience of a launch

People still do not believe that in early wow there was weekends where all NPC disappeared

I think in my own personal opinion this is so far the best Launch of an mmo, the graphical stability and increase is always a bonus. The only reason the issues are happening is the volume of user, which is a good sign for the future of the game
THIS IS MY POINT!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas23 View Post
OK, I'd just like to state to perhaps the younger crowd here, this is just par for the course.

I am not saying it's OK, or we should just accept these type of things in MMO launches, but it is the way it goes.

There are a lot of factors that go into a MMO instead of a single player game, alot of network code and all that geek talk that I know little about.

What I will say is this.

Ii've played a CRAP load of MMO's too many, I rarely am able to stick with it more then a few months but I tend to enjoy the company of my fellow geeks and with that I give you the REAL crappy list of launches.

Anarchy Online...I couldn't play for an entire 3 months with out a crash every hour, oh by the way in the end it was my fav.

Star Wars Online, minus the fact that I cry still about the fam CU and NGE, the first week was hell, you couldn't even play(no one could) for the first 3 days.

UO... DL all the time the first YEAR!!

EQ- probably coined the phrase ROLLBACK, because every crash ROLLED your toon back a few levels.

So those are some of the "OLDER" games. How about "NEW".

EQII- I don't think they learned from EQ!!!! ROLL BACKS!

WOW - Hard to remember foks but THE MIGHTY WOW, had a lot of issues the first MONTH!!! Crashes, DL's, Quests not working and so on.

Age of Conan, The game wasn't even completed, GFX issues, CRASHES again, Quests not working.

Warhammer Online, Not getting rewards from PVE or RVR. Items not loading into your slots oh and guess what...CRASHES....

DarkFall - YOU couldn't even GET AN ACCOUNT to work even when you finally were able too create one. Also, skills would not increase on the right path, not many crashes however.

Fallen Earth - Just a MESS in general the first few days.

And so on and so forth foks. Again not saying it's fair or right, but it is the way of things..

Fire your Trollpedos!

EDITED due to TERRIBLE SPELLING!!!
You didn't mention ****, ****'s launch was MUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH smooooooooooooooooooooooother. Rico sauve style. There ended up being Queues, but the Login Server was ALWAYS fast, and the game was responsive. Operationally, ****'s launch smoked this launch all over the place. All the quests worked, **** seemed tested... Yea, way to totally skip the launch that kicked the crap out of this one.

We should expect better. Anyone that's been around knows that 1 month of beta is like no where near enough.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 01:07 PM
I dont realy remeber any huge problems on wow start or open beta...

Sure some pugs here and there but nothing major expect 3 hour ques for some servers and crashes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
As far as I remember...

Jumpgate - Launched perfectly.

Lineage II - Launched perfectly.

DDO - Launched perfectly.

Not to mention, a host of F2P Asian grinders.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas23 View Post
Was a lot more than that.

Server Crashes every 5 minutes
All servers full
Client Crashes every 5 minutes
Invincible NPCs
Invisible Invincible NPCs
Invisible Invincible NPCs with a aggro and attack radius of the Entire World Map
NPCs flooding chat with "UNABLE TO FIND PATH"
Quest Items not Spawning
Quests not working

Also these werent just for head start either. These lasted well into 6+ Months. To this day, WoW is far from stable. Their "server maintenance" for patches is usually around 6+ hours which you then have to patch with a torrent client because Blizzard doesnt want to spend a little bit of their massive revenue on a HTTP server so instead you have to worry about hitting your bandwidth limit for the month and getting charged extra for it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
You mentioned a lot of games in there.... that are now 5+ years old... by this day and age they should have caught on to what it takes to release a mmo. Should of seen this coming honestly no game gives lifetime subscriptions that plans to be online for more then a few years.. doesn't make any business sense.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 01:13 PM
My big question is why game developers never seem to build on the experiences of the games that came before them? I like STO, but why are there the same problems at launch that every single other MMO has had in the past? Why does it seem like MMO companies never seem to get any better at it? Cryptic has launched other MMO's before, why is it that there is still rubberbanding, lag, disconnects, server crashes, etc... Content bugs I can understand, that gets worked out with time, but basic server stability...I would think after all the years since UO we would finally be seeing something different.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashie
As far as I remember...

Jumpgate - Launched perfectly.

Lineage II - Launched perfectly.

DDO - Launched perfectly.

Not to mention, a host of F2P Asian grinders.

F2P Asian Grinders are "flawless launches" because all you test in the EN betas are Translation Patches. You arent testing a brand new game. The game had multiple patches over a course of atleast a year.

Same was with Lineage 2. It wasnt a simultaneous release. It was a Translated Release of a later build.