Commander
# 1 Account Temporarily Suspended?
01-03-2014, 12:07 PM
I don't get it. Either I'm ignorant or I have no idea what's going on.

First, I went off on a rant in zone chat yesterday and my account was temporarily suspended. I understand what I did was wrong and appealed to Cryptic to restore with the assurance that my behavior would change, and it did. My account was restored.

So, what happened? Instead of going off in zone chat, some users started loot stealing from me today while doing Defera and rather than go off in zone chat, I reported the two users for loot stealing and MY ACCOUNT GETS TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED?

I don't know if I'm missing something here but how does reporting gamers for loot stealing result in the person filing the report getting suspended? I'm at a loss because since my account was restored yesterday, I've been behaving myself. I just don't understand Cryptic at all ...
Star Trek: Delta Crashing. Some things NEVER change.
Captain
# 2
01-03-2014, 12:10 PM
In the 4 years I've played STO, I have never seen a function that allows you to steal loot drops from other players... They drop for you, and only you (or in cases of team, based on a Need/Greed/pass system that most people just press Need on).

So basically you must have been trolling when you reported them, cause you can't steal from other players.

Edit: Don't misunderstand... I am not saying you did it purposely, but given that you had done something inappropriate just shortly before (by your own admission), and considering that what you describe, is impossible, you must be able to see how that would raise eyebrows with the mods.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos

Last edited by anazonda; 01-03-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Commander
# 3
01-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Well, I'm referring to the Preserver Artifact mission. There are three Borg guarding each artifact and what these users do is wait while you're preoccupied with the three Bord guards and they run up behind you and steal the artifact loot/objective.

This is nothing more than loot stealing, in a sense.
Captain
# 4
01-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
Well, I'm referring to the Preserver Artifact mission. There are three Borg guarding each artifact and what these users do is wait while you're preoccupied with the three Bord guards and they run up behind you and steal the artifact loot/objective.

I don't think that is how cryptic sees it... It's much like the Battle credit drops in the Battlezone, and you take a handful, when you just made it in... It may be anoying, but theres nothing "stealing" about it...

Just taking advantage of a situation where "money" is available.

And... It suits Cryptics profile perfectly when you think about it.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 5
01-03-2014, 12:21 PM
While definately bad manners, I don't think it's actually considered to be a reportable offense.
----
Yeager-Type; add it as a Federation 'Raider' and watch KDF players go crazy...

Queued Events alone do not player participation bring...
Commander
# 6
01-03-2014, 12:25 PM
I know but to retaliate against the person who filed the report? It's like charging a victim with the crime when they were the victim of an assault. Not only that but no indication from Cryptic as to why my account was suspended in the first place for this second time.
Captain
# 7
01-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Maybe someone didn't get the memo about your reinstatement from the first time.
----
Yeager-Type; add it as a Federation 'Raider' and watch KDF players go crazy...

Queued Events alone do not player participation bring...
Career Officer
# 8
01-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Quote:
I know but to retaliate against the person who filed the report? It's like charging a victim with the crime when they were the victim of an assault. Not only that but no indication from Cryptic as to why my account was suspended in the first place for this second time.
If enough people report you for spamming - the STO server itself institutes a temp chat ban (I'm not sure how long it lasts, maybe 24 hours.) I have a feeling there were enough people who remembered you from your rant; or you told the other players beforehand that you were going to report them -- enough players in zone decided to report you for spam, triggering the temp auto chatban timer again. (or you said something to them that they decided to also report, and a Cryptic GM decided it was ban worthy.)
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Commander
# 9
01-03-2014, 12:40 PM
This isn't a chat ban ... this is an account temporary suspension, which prevents you form logging in through the STO client. It prevents you from playing the game.
Career Officer
# 10
01-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Quote:

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't wait for someone else to do the work, then charge in and take an item or complete an objective that is available for anyone.

There have been complaints about players doing just that in the Dyson Sphere ground battlezone. They stand back waiting for players to capture a point, then charge in and pick up all the command credits that drop. The command credits can be picked up by anyone.

In situations like these it's basically a first come first serve basis. It's not against the rules to do such things, but at most it is very rude and inconsiderate.

As for your account being re-suspended; it's possible Cryptic saw you reporting players for dong nothing wrong as a form of harassment. And since your account was recently suspended for doing something wrong, they may have seen you as a trouble maker and reinstated the suspension they had lifted.

I don't think reporting a player once when they aren't doing anything wrong would get your account suspended. It's of course up to Cryptic to take action against the player that was reported. But if you report the same player several times when they still aren't doing anything wrong, that is a form of harassment because you are trying to get someone banned for no reason. (I'm not saying you did this)

As for loot stealing: there's no such thing in this game. If an item or objective is up for grabs for whoever gets it first, that's not stealing. Like getting to the first place flag at the same time as another player in the winter wonderland competitive race and the other player manages to grab the flag before you do. That wouldn't be flag stealing.