Survivor of Romulus
# 1 The Next Big Update...
11-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Given that we've how had the excellent Romulan story content do you guys think it's about time that Cryptic set themselves the task of "remastering" the majority of the Federation story missions? Given the quality of the Romulan and now the Klingon content the Federation missions look pretty poor, other than a few which have already been given touch ups in the past. I think we all know that a majority of new players will tend to create Starfleet captains first over other factions since it's probably what they know and saw in the shows, or at least it's what I've seen when trying to get friends to play the game.

I say this because we have a glaring inconsistency in the experience new players will have when they're levelling up. We have the new tutorial, then SS Azura and Diplomatic Orders (great!)... then bam back to the launch content for a while until you manage to play the excellent Doomsday Machine and then again back to rubbish missions. Such varying quality of the work probably doesn't do much to instil confidence in new players and thus a higher chance they won't become paying customers. Before Cryptic can even think about introducing any more adventure zones or half-baked factions (like the Cardassians for example) they need to address this issue.

Curious to know what the rest of you think. Should they try to attempt this or just focus on more rep grinds and adventure zones?
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
Captain
# 2
11-08-2013, 06:03 AM
They are, Geko talks about them updating the old Fed missions that are now 4 years old to bring them into line with the new kdf/romulan missions

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13329611 it was in the podcast here
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Given how many missions there are and how long they've said it takes just to create one featured episode, I don't anticipate the Fed missions being done for several more seasons. Plus there's no guarantee that remastering them will make them that much better, since a lot of the Klingon Front missions are terrible due to the multitude of nebula missions that remove full impulse.
Captain
# 4
11-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I want most of all for them to make the storylines more different.

Also, give us some followup to the SPOILER Undine infiltration of the Romulans thing. Talk about your "What Happened to the Mouse?" situation.
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 5
11-08-2013, 10:49 AM
And this for "Suspects", as long as I'm suggesting things.
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 6
11-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufpterrell View Post
Given that we've how had the excellent Romulan story content do you guys think it's about time that Cryptic set themselves the task of "remastering" the majority of the Federation story missions? Given the quality of the Romulan and now the Klingon content the Federation missions look pretty poor, other than a few which have already been given touch ups in the past. I think we all know that a majority of new players will tend to create Starfleet captains first over other factions since it's probably what they know and saw in the shows, or at least it's what I've seen when trying to get friends to play the game.

I say this because we have a glaring inconsistency in the experience new players will have when they're levelling up. We have the new tutorial, then SS Azura and Diplomatic Orders (great!)... then bam back to the launch content for a while until you manage to play the excellent Doomsday Machine and then again back to rubbish missions. Such varying quality of the work probably doesn't do much to instil confidence in new players and thus a higher chance they won't become paying customers. Before Cryptic can even think about introducing any more adventure zones or half-baked factions (like the Cardassians for example) they need to address this issue.

Curious to know what the rest of you think. Should they try to attempt this or just focus on more rep grinds and adventure zones?
"Excellent Romulan storyline?" Really? What Cryptic should do next is a major code cleanup, fix all the glaring bugs that have been around since pre-launch, fix all of the features that used to be in-game but got broken, and later removed, due to their "updates". Make ship interiors a viable part of the game. Allow people to assign their crews a "standard" uniform. Allow Admirals to form 5 ship fleets, and allow them to promote BOs to Captain. Allow people to craft items that are comparable to the rep grind/fleet junk. Clean, and polish all ship models in-game. That would be a start.
This all happened... more, or less.
Captain
# 7
11-08-2013, 08:53 PM
I will say three things that go to the first few posters' comments.

1: I do agree that most of the Federation missions need to be remastered. I will also ad that while some missions are not that popular, DON"T DELETE OR REMOVE ANY OF THEM!!! Every series has its poor calibur stories to contrast with the best. Star Trek is no different. If the mission is not popular, then it should take a lower priority to the more popular ones (if they even get updated, just don't remove them completely).

2: I am glad to hear that Geko says it is a high priority. Now Cryptic/Perfect World needs to deliver on that promise.

3: I would NOT be bothered it it takes a while for them to be updated. I would rather have it come out slowly and piece mealed rather than not at all. Heck, both "Diplomatic Orders" and "Doomsday Device" were both psudo-featured episodes when they were remastered. They could easily take a few of those missions and special release them in pairs much like they did with the afore mentioned missions.
Captain
# 8
11-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
I want most of all for them to make the storylines more different.

Also, give us some followup to the SPOILER Undine infiltration of the Romulans thing. Talk about your "What Happened to the Mouse?" situation.
Supposedly they explained that in an issue of Star Trek magazine that came out like two years ago.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.