Lt. Commander
# 121
02-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Bump for the evening before I head home from work. I will try to get today's edit in after I get home
Lt. Commander
# 122
02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi ,

actually i am asking me: How does a Skill Work?

An example: if i skill Starhship Shield Maintenance: does it make my shield bigger and the rechargevalue bigger?
Or does this Skill only push up the Effect of "Emergency power to Shields"
In this Case it wouldnt make a sense to learn these skill if i didnt have a shield ability like "Emergency power to Shields". Right???

An other Question is: Does my skills push up the abilitys of my Offficers??
Example: My EngineerOfficer can use Tachyon Beam II, and I skilled Starship deflectors.
Does my Starship Deflector skill push up the the ability Tachyon beam from my Officer?

Many Thanks and sorry for my very broken english )
Lt. Commander
# 123
02-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOISO View Post
Hi ,

actually i am asking me: How does a Skill Work?

An example: if i skill Starhship Shield Maintenance: does it make my shield bigger and the rechargevalue bigger?
Or does this Skill only push up the Effect of "Emergency power to Shields"
In this Case it wouldnt make a sense to learn these skill if i didnt have a shield ability like "Emergency power to Shields". Right???

An other Question is: Does my skills push up the abilitys of my Offficers??
Example: My EngineerOfficer can use Tachyon Beam II, and I skilled Starship deflectors.
Does my Starship Deflector skill push up the the ability Tachyon beam from my Officer?

Many Thanks and sorry for my very broken english )
So the effect of any individual skill will depend on the skill itself. Some skills help your ship directly, while other skills add to benefit of abilities and bridge officer powers. Here's two examples:

Cruiser Captain is a skill that affects your ship directly. It gives bonuses to hull strength, speed, and maneuverability when you're in a cruiser.

Starship Shield Maintenance on the other hand affects abilities - it gives an additional bonus when you use the ability. I believe (but I could be wrong here) that this only applies to your abilities as a captain however. So if you were a tactical officer, you probably would not want to spend points in Starship Shield Maintenance.

Generally speaking, you'll want to train skills that will boost your own abilities either in space or on the ground, or that provide passive bonuses to your ship.

I could be wrong on that however, and hopefully if I am, someone will correct me
Lt. Commander
# 124
02-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Ok, minor edits made from feedback received yesterday.

As always, if anyone has additions or changes (especially after the patch this morning) please post them!
Lt. Commander
# 125
02-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Just so you know Trace, we featured your post on the latest episode of our podcast. It's so damn useful!
Lt. Commander
# 126
02-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RurouniQ View Post
Just so you know Trace, we featured your post on the latest episode of our podcast. It's so damn useful!
Wow, cool! I hope that encourages folks to come add things to it as well
Lt. Commander
# 127
02-06-2010, 05:26 AM
A little bump for the weekend
Lt. Commander
# 128
02-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Thorne
Starship Shield Maintenance on the other hand affects abilities - it gives an additional bonus when you use the ability. I believe (but I could be wrong here) that this only applies to your abilities as a captain however. So if you were a tactical officer, you probably would not want to spend points in Starship Shield Maintenance.
The maintenance skills do effect BOff abilities. For example putting points into Starship Shield Maintenance will improve the Engineering BOff "Emergency Power to Shields" power.
Lt. Commander
# 129
02-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejin
The maintenance skills do effect BOff abilities. For example putting points into Starship Shield Maintenance will improve the Engineering BOff "Emergency Power to Shields" power.
Ah, this is good to know, thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 130
02-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Here's a tip you can add to ground combat:

Hit G to target the nearest "Exploited" target. Makes vaporizing them alot easier.
Closed Thread