Commander
here's my question. fo?r the last year, I have been using plasma damage type because of the embassy consoles, and also the 3 piece Romulan space set with the experimental beam array. But the new carrier has got me thinking about anti proton beam arrays, especially with the new 360 degree model. Would the extra critical hits and severity make anti proton worth losing the advantage of plasma damage Plus the embassy consoles and plasma hyper flux

If you like Foundry missions, try mine here!
Commander
# 2
11-08-2013, 04:55 PM
The embassy consoles give a plasma bonus to all weapon types.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
11-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Do people not know the meaning of the word 'viable'?

Yes, antiproton damage is still viable. So is just about any energy weapon damage.
Captain
# 4
11-08-2013, 05:06 PM
If you sunk all that money into plasma already, I wouldn't worry about it. AP is most viable when you have a jacked up crit rate, but if you're built for something else then play to your strengths.
Commander
# 5
11-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
Do people not know the meaning of the word 'viable'?

Yes, antiproton damage is still viable. So is just about any energy weapon damage.
Sorry. Yes I know every damage type can be "viable", if some couldn't, the game wouldn't be balanced. But plasma has been heavily recommended lately because you could use the embassy consoles to add additional damage. So I guess what I really meant was...

Does the extra critical hit and severity of the antiprotons make them equal to the plasma + embassy console bonuses in terms of the overall dps potential?

P.S. I'm thinking of using them for an aux to bat battlecruiser for a Fed tac captain with no significant resources put into special weapons yet.

If you like Foundry missions, try mine here!
Captain
# 6
11-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Every weapon in this game has specific circumstances where they would be better in your build vs someone else's. Ships heavy on flow capacitors can use tetryon or polaron weapons to their advantage. Those who run Romulan sets/consoles benefit from plasma (the proc itself has other modifiers). Then there are elite and hybrid weapons that can offer other advantages. In the end, it comes down to your build and what you're trying to get off it.
Lieutenant
# 7
11-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Antiproton is unquestionably the best weapon type right now and in season 8 it's only going to get better. However, The Omni-directional Beam array is only worthwhile if you are using a cannon build and have an extra tactical bridge officer slot you can use on a beam ability. Plasma is only more popular because the cost of entry is much lower than Antiproton and much more obvious.
Captain
# 8
11-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Well, one of the reasons Plasma became such a big deal was that there was stuff other than Tac consoles that buffed it's damage, including the Embassy consoles and the Romulan weapon/console set. With Sphere of Influence, there's now a set that buffs AP damage by 10% if you equip both the warp core and the 360 AP beam array. Though, that means that you're locked out of a [AMP] Elite Warp Core and you're stuck with a fairly low DPS beam array in one weapon slot(the tooltip on it lists less DPS than the Mk X common beam arrays the Obelisk comes with).

There's lots of stuff coming S8 that will buff Critical hit and/or Critical Severity that will be great to use with weapons with innate Critical Severity boost, including Fleet Tactical Consoles (currently better than MK XII purple in base damage boost + a Critical hit or a Critical Severity boost) and the new Voth energy weapon/torp/console set buffs both via different set bonuses.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidevant View Post
Antiproton is unquestionably the best weapon type right now and in season 8 it's only going to get better. However, The Omni-directional Beam array is only worthwhile if you are using a cannon build and have an extra tactical bridge officer slot you can use on a beam ability. Plasma is only more popular because the cost of entry is much lower than Antiproton and much more obvious.
It's also useful if you are running the Obelisk Rift Core on a science vessel for the extra AP boost from the set bonus. Doing this on my Orb Weaver now and it works quite well.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-09-2013, 12:10 AM
If only there is a wider variety of modifiers for high end antiproton weapons... I believe antiproton's power can truly unleashed if we get to choose our weapon combination (and not dmgx2 + accx2 vs dmgx3 + crth/crtd/acc)
Imagine an antiproton weapon that shoots 90% crtd (crtdx3, coupled with dhc's innate crtd and ap crtd), boosted by the new tac consoles from spire holdings and romulan boffs. It'll be overpowered.