Lt. Commander
There were quite a few complaints in Open Beta by people who had just found the game too easy.

I am not necessarily one of those people, yet have found a way to increase the difficulty.

So, if you are one of those people who have found a game exploit, a character build who is so maximized that you cannot fail, or you are just that darn good - feel free to do this rather than complain that the DEVS did not make the game to your elite level of play.

Simply team up with one or more people. Find a group and team up. Set loot to free-for-all. Just do not actually do the missions with eachother. The more people you group with, the harder the game will be. You will still be able to loot everything that drops. There will just be more enemies, and sometimes even more powerful enemies.

Congratulations, you have now used innovative thinking to match innovative thinking. Your uber skill/build will now be tested to see just how good it is.

I hope this helps anyone looking for more challenge out of this game.

**DISCLAIMER** This is not meant to be a flame post, nor do I suggest you actually do this. However the option is there for people looking for a little extra challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Or they could just introduce respawn penalities for certain situations.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
On the topic of game difficulty, the issue is that a game should be a challenge, and there should be some aspect that requires skill. You don't always win at chess. You don't always win at Monopoly. You sometimes lose when playing Risk.

The idea is that a game should provide a challenge. Otherwise, it's just a sandbox. A sandbox can be fun. Lots of people have fond memories of their sandbox, all turtle shaped and green with that big shell of a cover.

With a video game, there should be a lot of room for challenge. The problem many people have with MMO's of late is that unlike other games, MMO's are playing to the lowest common denominator. It's like rewriting the rules of chess so that instead of a balanced game where skill prevails, they've rewritten the rules so white can't win, and only black can take pieces. Chess suddenly becomes much less enjoyable.

So, when a new game comes out under an IP that people really like, the game part is as important as the IP part.

I'm not suggesting anything in particular about what is right or wrong. I love a good challenge, but I also enjoy playing games and just focusing on the story and the plot. Sometimes I want to be challenged, really have to try to win, and when I fail, it's because I didn't do the best I could. So I try, and try again. Other times I want to feel like I'm wading through destroying enemies left and right, I want to feel powerful.

This hopefully gives a little more insight as to why people complain about the level of challenge in a game, whether it's too hard or too easy.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 01:32 PM
The game difficulty is fine already. If you're looking to get your behind kicked, then get it into some PVP action.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
From what little I saw of beta (only made it to rank Lt. commander 2), difficulty does increase. Not a whole lot, but at that level there were times where I had to snap to it and be smart, or I'd have been 'sploded by the enemy ships on missions. From what they said about the "endgame" missions they are adding, it sounds like those will be the real challenge. Most MMOs start out ridiculously easy. Not to mention many people playing right now have already done the beginning missions so many times they could do it while asleep. :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I for one do think that game difficulty is fine. This just happens to be something I came across while teaming up with a friend last night. We got moved to different missions in the Delta Volanis Cluster and I was surprised how the difficulty level kept. I have to say, it took every trick in my bag to when it without my friend. We tried it again with another person, and it was crazy!

I think the whole game is well done, but I know that many thought difficulty was an issue. And rather than complain to the DEVS, I had hoped that maybe they could instead read my thread and realize there was a way to work within the limits of the game we have been provided.

Again, hope this helps to those it may!