Lieutenant
# 21
11-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Oh, well. Might as well get +1 postcount out of this redundant thread.

You are aware that you can set your title to any rank you've earnt, right? Just remember to salute my VA when you see her on the grounds that she's earnt that rank, saving the galaxy many times over.

Some of us DO like the ranks, dude.
***The above ramblings are, as always, my own opinion. Based on my experiences and interpreted by my mind, they by no means reflect the universal truth (unless coincidentally). Peace.***
Commander
# 22
11-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talonxv View Post
Exactly watch Deep Space 9. Remember that 50 ship fleet that eventually retook DS9 from the dominion. Commanded by a Vice Admiral.

For starters hell even captains of ships almost never leave the ship unless it's of diplomatic importance. They don't do ground combat, let alone Flag officers.

Flag officers also do not sit in the 'hot seat'. They have a flag bridge aboard ship where the command the fleet, commanding the ship is left to the Captain of the ship who is in by turn the "Flag Captain". Basically he passes orders to the flag captain who has his communication's officer in turn pass along orders so the Admiral can focus on developing tactics and strategy while the beams are flying.

I go back to the whole Idea of Junior captain, Senior captain[in regards to seniority how the navy really does it] and fleet captain. Then when we get this level cap you get promoted to Rear Admiral cause a Rear Admiral usually is incharge of a squadron of ships.

Rank in this game so frakked up.
how about the fleet of ships that converged near Earth in Voyager episode ENDGAME. Admiral Paris ordered them to use all necessary force to kill the borg sphere and then boom Voyager shows up.

SO we need to be able to command our own fleet as Admirals.
Captain
# 23
11-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2485 View Post
how about the fleet of ships that converged near Earth in Voyager episode ENDGAME. Admiral Paris ordered them to use all necessary force to kill the borg sphere and then boom Voyager shows up.

SO we need to be able to command our own fleet as Admirals.
Exactly or atleast a squadron. I mean if I'm going to have the rank, I'd like the duties and hitherto that a Vice Admiral does. Not just being a glorified captain.
How I feel when I hit Transwarp
Captain
# 24
11-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofasternow View Post
This is my headcanon right here. They learned their lesson with Kirk.
"Sir, please, you don't have to continue punching that Ferengi, Admiral Quinn just said you don't have to commit felonious assault to get a demotion, they've already got a ship ready for you to take command of at spacedock."

"...but it's Drozana station, not Federation space, and this guy's been having me rewire relays for hours! Can't you just look away for five more minutes?"

"...I believe I can make an exception."

"Good man."
Commander
# 25
11-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Admiral Ross was the Vice Admiral that essentially controlled the entirety of the Federation's forces during the Dominion War. He controlled entire fleets (plural) and had his own ship, the U.S.S. Belleraphon (Intrepid class).

He was on sight during the final battle against the Dominion when the allied forces made the push to Cardassia to finish the war. However, never before that was he on the front lines. He always commanded from Starbase 375, which was a very small starbase (in comparison to Earth's space dock). Both during Operation Return (DS9 retaking) and the First battle of Chin'toka, Sisko commanded the entire fleet proxy to Admiral Ross.

Point being, these are the duties of a Vice Admiral, not Kirking it up and blowing up random new races you discovered because they pissed in your cheerios.

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
Empire Veteran
# 26
11-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Common MMO misconception - from a story point of view, your character is a unique snowflake. Thus, there are NOT hundreds of Vice Admirals running raound, only your character and the NPCs.

After all, it makes no more sense that hundreds of characters all ran some mission and saved the universe, than it does that there are so many admirals.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Captain
# 27
11-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naevius View Post
Common MMO misconception - from a story point of view, your character is a unique snowflake. Thus, there are NOT hundreds of Vice Admirals running raound, only your character and the NPCs..
From a story point of view, it still doesn't make a lick of sense to have an O-9 captaining a single starship and being ordered around by an O-6 or O-7. Whether or not more than one of you exists in the storyline is irrelevant.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer

Last edited by starswordc; 11-11-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Commander
# 28
11-11-2013, 11:58 AM
See my example of Vice Admiral Ross, that is what the Vice Admirals do. The ranking system in STO is garbage and needs a rework. They're just to "swamped" with new lockbox material to do anything about it.

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
Captain
# 29
11-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
From a story point of view, it still doesn't make a lick of sense to have an O-9 captaining a single starship and being ordered around by an O-6 or O-7. Whether or not more than one of you exists in the storyline is irrelevant.
Prime Example, Captain Straslund on DS9 ordering your ship around like your a commander. That was annoying. But again I just consider myself a captain, not an admiral and as such he's SO on station so he's well within his rights to order my ship to do jobs.

Though I never understood why DS9 was a Captain's billet anymore instead of say a VA's billet or atleast a RA.
How I feel when I hit Transwarp
Captain
# 30
11-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talonxv View Post
Though I never understood why DS9 was a Captain's billet anymore instead of say a VA's billet or atleast a RA.
The way I read it, Sisko commands the station but he reports to an admiral managing Starfleet's regional operations (e.g. Nechayev).
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer