Lt. Commander
# 1 Opening another Chat window
01-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know a way of doing this or have they not added this
yet. It so sucks to not be able to see combat in one and chat in another
without having a spammy mess.

Also Zone chat needs to get turned off or otherwise any time you need
to track anything, zone makes that useless.

This is driving me up the wall!!

I want to talk to other people, see zone chat, but I also want to track things
happening in combat, or separate channels, or do things every other mmo
allows! (Even back to EQ1 days!)
Lt. Commander
# 2 Ditto
01-30-2010, 10:28 PM
I for one came to the forum to see an answer to this question. I must have spent 30 minutes trying to find the setting to add a chat window. My preference is to keep the general zone chat in one window then have the fleet and whisper chat in another.

Thanks for helping with this feature.

Logos
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 10:44 PM
There is a key for it; Social option, but now that the server has thrown me, can't remember..

But there is another way.

On your chat window, Left Click (or Right-click?) on the top header of it, where you see your other chat selections. It brings up a menu that you can edit your existing chat channels or you can make a new one with customized options to show combat, zone chat, local, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold-Rush View Post
There is a key for it; Social option, but now that the server has thrown me, can't remember..

But there is another way.

On your chat window, Left Click (or Right-click?) on the top header of it, where you see your other chat selections. It brings up a menu that you can edit your existing chat channels or you can make a new one with customized options to show combat, zone chat, local, etc.
This only allows you to create more tabs within the same window. Definitely helpful for separating chat channels. But it does not allow you to create entirely separate windows at present.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 10:52 PM
I agree, the game needs the ability to have multiple chat windows... or at the very least, two.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 03:58 AM
I agree. I like the busy atmosphere generated by zone chat, but there's so much of it that it makes it difficult to hold a conversation. I'd like to be able to display zone chat in one window and fleet/team/private chat in another window.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 04:48 AM
Im desperately trying to set 4 chat tabs: 1 for general spam, 1 for my /w + team, 1 for my own combat/dmg and 1 for the rest of the teams combat/dmg.
Somehow it seems to pick random settings (have combat self in general chat) Since there is no button to save 1 tab, i cant save 1 tab and go on with the other. Also looked for a button to set chat to default but could not find it so far. So if anyone knows how to do this i would be happy aswell.
I would appreciate an answer and im hoping im being a tard and forget a setting or so cos its better then a stupid bug.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripen_sc
I agree. I like the busy atmosphere generated by zone chat, but there's so much of it that it makes it difficult to hold a conversation. I'd like to be able to display zone chat in one window and fleet/team/private chat in another window.
Yeah, Same here. The one big issue is, I want to talk and see zone chat, but
any window it's in.. it takes over. And hense there is only one window... I
keep zone chat off always.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 03:44 AM
I don't know about other MMO's, but Everquest has a very good chat / window system. You can open multiple windows, use filters to assign one or more channels per window, and you can set the chat text bar of each window so that when you type in it, it automatically goes to that channel.

I have noticed that hardly anyone chats during missions, and I think this is due largely to the fact that you cannot have multiple windows open so you can see what is going on at a glance.

This really needs to be fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-04-2010, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosvik
I don't know about other MMO's, but Everquest has a very good chat / window system. You can open multiple windows, use filters to assign one or more channels per window, and you can set the chat text bar of each window so that when you type in it, it automatically goes to that channel.

I have noticed that hardly anyone chats during missions, and I think this is due largely to the fact that you cannot have multiple windows open so you can see what is going on at a glance.

This really needs to be fixed.
This and some more reasons:
When you want to talk to your team you either has to write "/team, blabla" each time or set the chat to team or has to check the wanted channel by the drop down - the chat don't remember last used chat. And guess what: I prefer to be "the quiet quy" and keep talking to my fleet/buddys the comfortable way.
I don't know exactly why but the chat-system just feels "not right". I Can't tell exactly why, I played a lot of games with different chat-systems but this is way different for some reason.

Different windows (and chatboxes at each window!) would help. I still have to figure out why the chat feels way other then other chats I did and do use in other games...