Career Officer
# 1 Autopilot while on bridge?
01-30-2014, 01:37 AM
So here's an idea.
How about when you set your ship to autopilot to a destination, it keeps flying even when you go to the interior?
You can track your progress on the galaxy map, and would give players a extra reason, to use shipboard functions during travel downtime.
Maybe too much, but being able to alter course would be neat too.
Now i know we'll prob never be able to get direct control, nor see other players trough our view screens. Tho that would be really sweet, but autopilot the ship should be doable.
Career Officer
# 2
01-30-2014, 02:52 AM
You have put a lot of thought into this idea and I commend you.
Unfortunately (no sarcasm here) this has been brought up before and there's a big problem that makes this impossible right now:
STO does not distinguish between the player on the ground (the bridge is considered a "ground" map) and in space. And you can exist only once in the game so as soon as you enter your bridge the ship that represents you in Sector Space disappears while your ground representation appears on your bridge.
And what does not exist (your ship in sector space) can not travel and thus can't be tracked from your bridge.
Sorry, it's a good idea but with the current engine and the way it is set up it's just not possible.
Captain
# 3
01-30-2014, 07:18 AM
I suggestet to replace the sector space travel with ship interior travel entirely (in a pretty similar way) a few times already. I think that is almost a must...
Career Officer
# 4
01-30-2014, 07:40 AM
I'd suggest having access to the instatravel options while on the bridge. One doesn't have to be in sector for those to occur. Also, they could make a system option available for there to be a new bridge access to travel by determining the time it takes to get from the major starbases from ESD for example and make that a timed wait time while one is messing around on the ship. It makes sense as this is typically what happens anyway in the series with some type of timer on the ui while on the ship.

This is of course in combination with the expansion of the ship interiors previously suggested by the playerbase.

I for one as a vet would love this as an addition to the cargo bays bank access and exchange in another part of the ship and have civilian vendors like ferengi traders (since they appear in our rosters anyway) somewhere in one of the locations (perhaps 10-forward style location we already have) who sells commodities and resources for Fleet expansion projects.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.