Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Career Officer
So.... The new WoW expansion was announced and after much confusion about whether it's time travel or not, the emerging answer seems to be that the Garrosh, the big bad guy, went back in time, stopped the orcs from getting corrupted, stopped Draenor from blowing up, and will be launching an invasion from the alternate universe he's created.

So while time travel plays into how it happened, the basic premise of the expansion seems to be that a villain used time travel to create a parallel universe and is using his empire there to invade the main universe.

WoW sure can be Star Trek-y sometimes.
Republic Veteran
# 2
11-10-2013, 10:44 PM
If nothing is new under the sun, that game was old before it was new. It must be thirsty work directly ripping off everything in existence, with such unfaltering dedication. A toast to that, because it seems to work! Creativity is dead, long live the work of others! Without that, where would we be? Probably in a state no less cranky!

End of morning rant.

---
Captain
# 3
11-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Wait, what??? But weren't the Orcs corrupted before the events of the first game????

So he basically undid everything from War-craft 1 onward???????????

Who writes this crap?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 4
11-11-2013, 01:45 AM
Again, Alternate History isn't exactly a new concept; Roman historian Livy, during the 1st century CE, wrote a treatise examining what might have happened if Alexander the Great had chosen to invade Europe rather than the Middle East.

Winston Churchill also wrote an interesting short tale in the form of an alt-hist scholarly document, "What If Lee Had Lost the Battle of Gettysburg?", written from the perspective of a historian in a world where the Confederacy had won the Civil War.

Generally, though, the ur-example is thought to be Philip K. ****'s The Man In the High Castle, published in 1963, and taking place in a world where FDR was assassinated during his first term, and President Garner refused to assist either Britain or the USSR. After the Nazis took Europe, they turned their attention to the US, which they conquered in 1948. Interestingly, this novel includes its own alt-hist novel mentioned in the text, [/]The Grasshopper Lies Heavy[/i], in which the Axis lost, and the world was in the grip of a prolonged Cold War between the US and Great Britain.

So yeah, it's not really a Trek ripoff, as both properties using a pre-existing trope.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Career Officer
# 5
11-11-2013, 01:55 AM
Metzen who else I'm sure the Blizzard writing staff think their Genius's but most of us found the flaw in the story telling a long time ago
Vice Admiral Lufia Rushu
Commander, R.R.W. Ravenclaw
"I would use my Legacy of Romulus title but everyone and their father use that"
Captain
# 6
11-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Wait, what??? But weren't the Orcs corrupted before the events of the first game????

So he basically undid everything from War-craft 1 onward???????????

Who writes this crap?
*looks at J.J Abrams*

Career Officer
# 7
11-11-2013, 02:56 AM
Beating an already dead horse even more. The creative side of these Californians needs a new direction, one that doesnt involve crappy reboots.

Even homeworld is getting a fresh restart and upgrade in graphics for 2014 and a ground control/warzone 2100 "shipbreakers" game likely set before the hyperspace test on Kharak.

I never played WoW, ever. came up through star trek armada, imperium galactica 2, freelancer, homeworld, hegemonia and such. couldn't care less about panda, orcs, elves or whatever else. but in the sense of a mystical medieval setting, time travel ideas break the whole concept of that type of game, but it's likely ripped from Diablo 2 as that is also a blizzard game.

Metzen has Starcraft doing dances with a doom prophecy where an ultimate sacrifice is required to defeat the big bad enemy, Amon. Likely Kerrigan or Zeratul or both and considering the Raynor-Kerrigan love sub plot, it's obvious.

most of thos is getting old, new creativity is needed at some point.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Again, Alternate History isn't exactly a new concept; Roman historian Livy, during the 1st century CE, wrote a treatise examining what might have happened if Alexander the Great had chosen to invade Europe rather than the Middle East.

Winston Churchill also wrote an interesting short tale in the form of an alt-hist scholarly document, "What If Lee Had Lost the Battle of Gettysburg?", written from the perspective of a historian in a world where the Confederacy had won the Civil War.

Generally, though, the ur-example is thought to be Philip K. ****'s The Man In the High Castle, published in 1963, and taking place in a world where FDR was assassinated during his first term, and President Garner refused to assist either Britain or the USSR. After the Nazis took Europe, they turned their attention to the US, which they conquered in 1948. Interestingly, this novel includes its own alt-hist novel mentioned in the text, [/]The Grasshopper Lies Heavy[/i], in which the Axis lost, and the world was in the grip of a prolonged Cold War between the US and Great Britain.

So yeah, it's not really a Trek ripoff, as both properties using a pre-existing trope.
I know it's off the subject, but when your filtering software censors an author's name just because it happens to have the same spelling as a colloquialism for a body part, then there is something wrong with the software.
Captain
# 9
11-11-2013, 03:58 AM
Well, they're at a point where they have pretty much covered the established world (both games and novels), including places and species that were only easter eggs in the original games, so they have to make up something. An alternate universe seems to be a good way to do so and it's not an old thing for WoW either. There have been tons of quests, dungeons and raids dealing with time travel, altering the past and repairing timelines in WoW, ever since Classic.

Imho it's going to be more interesting if WoW can keep up it sub-only track with the whole mmo world going free-to-play or at least having limited free access throughout the next addons, considering that they're already in the process of having large-scale server merges and how the community is going to take the overhaul of character design. It might be a big thing for a lot of people if their character, who they've had for 7-8 years suddenly looks different.
Captain
# 10
11-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
Well, they're at a point where they have pretty much covered the established world (both games and novels), including places and species that were only easter eggs in the original games, so they have to make up something. An alternate universe seems to be a good way to do so and it's not an old thing for WoW either. There have been tons of quests, dungeons and raids dealing with time travel, altering the past and repairing timelines in WoW, ever since Classic.
Did they take out Azshara? Because she seemed like one of the big guns still left to fight against. Of course there's still Sargeras, the evil Titan, but I suspect he'll be the last the game will ever issue a fight against. And there's another go at the Lich King. I don't believe for a second that Bolivar has control of the Nerzghul-inhabited helm, quite the other way around. Hopefully for the players, that will be the next expansion and reflect the Wrath expansion, which i though was the best of the expansions.

Frankly though, I'd have thought they'd left the time travel stuff to the Caverns of Time bits, rather than a full scale expansion. What I'd really considered was going to happen was that portal(s) to a third planet were going to open and the fight would be taken to the Burning Legion there.

Then there is the comment I read, somewhere, that noted that the entire known face of planet Azeroth accounts for maybe a third of the planet, the rest shrouded in the mists like the Pandaran continent was. I think that comment came from a dev. If so, though they'll create new villains, there's still a lot more they can do with the planet.