Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Survivor of Romulus
# 11
11-11-2013, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sernonserculion View Post
If nothing is new under the sun, that game was old before it was new. It must be thirsty work directly ripping off everything in existence, with such unfaltering dedication. A toast to that, because it seems to work! Creativity is dead, long live the work of others! Without that, where would we be? Probably in a state no less cranky!

End of morning rant.

---
I basically agree with everything you said and feel the same way, except the ranty part cause I don't really care about WoW. So as to that....yeah whatever.

You know now that WoW has done it we can expect other games to take the same path as always and if questions fly their way it's gonna be "WoW has done it!".
R.I.P. Creativity and fresh new concepts.
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Captain
# 12
11-11-2013, 05:03 AM
All this Copycat stuff of late has made me really miss 80's sci fi.

It actually seems original now.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 13
11-11-2013, 08:12 AM
For those calling for originality, truth is very few things are original. And considering it's human nature to take existing concepts and improve them or attempt to do different things with them, this is exactly how it should be. It's better to do something WELL than to do something UNIQUELY.

Whether or not this is done well is another story, however, and as I am unfamiliar with that particular game, I will reserve judgment.
Career Officer
# 14
11-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
Well, they're at a point where they have pretty much covered the established world (both games and novels), including places and species that were only easter eggs in the original games, so they have to make up something. An alternate universe seems to be a good way to do so and it's not an old thing for WoW either. There have been tons of quests, dungeons and raids dealing with time travel, altering the past and repairing timelines in WoW, ever since Classic.

Imho it's going to be more interesting if WoW can keep up it sub-only track with the whole mmo world going free-to-play or at least having limited free access throughout the next addons, considering that they're already in the process of having large-scale server merges and how the community is going to take the overhaul of character design. It might be a big thing for a lot of people if their character, who they've had for 7-8 years suddenly looks different.
I keep expecting a F2P announcemet. There have been hints at how they could monetize this.

But then again, there's probably one more BlizzCon before that expansion comes out.

I think what excites me more (and I'll be disappointed if they don't do this) is this:

If this is an alternate Draenor where none of the events of the other games happened...

Then that means there's an alternate Azeroth. They're claiming that Warlords of Draenor sets the stage for the next expansion after that.

My hope is that this means the post-WoD expansion could be set in an alternate Azeroth, totally Un-Cataclysmed but free to pursue all the plotlines dropped or bungled in the normal timeline.

Meaning an alternate Ashbringer story. An alternate Scarlet Crusade. Van Cleef. Illidan. Bolvar. A high elf Sylvanas. All in a version of Azeroth where the orcs never invaded but wherethe Burning Legion is getting a foothold. It would be a nice way to get people back into the franchise.

WoD looks to be revisiting Outland in a changed form. And that might be nifty. I doubt I'll raid or regularly sub but I might play for a few months. But what would get me excited is an alternate universe tak on Vanilla WoW that revisits the human, dwarf, and eleven lore.

I ca also see a clear direction to go with WoD. Everyone tries to "fix" the timeline only to find out that they're in a totally separate universe. But separate universe means a separate Azeroth in trouble. The Fel Orcs from the new universe join the Horde. The Alliance gets the new universe's High Elves. And they get to go through an alternate Azeroth full of all the characters whose potential was wasted in the normal universe, helping to fend off the Burning Legion.
Captain
# 15
11-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
All this Copycat stuff of late has made me really miss 80's sci fi.

It actually seems original now.
Oh, yeah, 80's scifi original: Knight Rider, Airwolf, Street Hawk, Pole Position, M.A.S.K., and any other show featuring a futuristic vehicle with onboard computer or A.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
For those calling for originality, truth is very few things are original. And considering it's human nature to take existing concepts and improve them or attempt to do different things with them, this is exactly how it should be. It's better to do something WELL than to do something UNIQUELY.
Good point. Many don't know or don't remember this, but much of Shakespeare's works were not original but based on others' works. He just retooled them and made them classic.
Captain
# 16
11-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Or, to quote the first Grand Master of Science Fiction...

Quote:
"File off the serial numbers, change the body lines a bit. give it a new paint job, switch it over the state line, and it's yours!- that's the secret of literary success. Editors always claim to be looking for new stories but they don't buy them; they buy 'mixture as before.' Because the cash customers want to be entertained, not amazed, not instructed, not frightened."

- Richard Campbell in Robert A. Heinlein's The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 17
11-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
Oh, yeah, 80's scifi original: Knight Rider, Airwolf, Street Hawk, Pole Position, M.A.S.K., and any other show featuring a futuristic vehicle with onboard computer or A.I.
If those shows were brought back now, they would be!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Empire Veteran
# 18
11-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadowdark View Post
*looks at J.J Abrams*

The difference is JJ didn't overwrite the original; just created a new timeline alongside it XD

So far the only actual changes to the original timeline is the destruction of Romulus, and the disappearance of Ambassador Spock.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Captain
# 19
11-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
The difference is JJ didn't overwrite the original; just created a new timeline alongside it XD

So far the only actual changes to the original timeline is the destruction of Romulus, and the disappearance of Ambassador Spock.
Still stupid.

Empire Veteran
# 20
11-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Still stupid.
Well, that's your opinion, but it's still a fail of IDIC
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.