Lt. Commander
I can see a guys log in name on my friends list. Are you nuts? Have you ever heard of hackers?

This is a stupid idea to let anyone see my log in name.

I had my account hacked in WoW.

This is just asking for trouble.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 12:22 PM
The game actually shows your @ name which you were supposed to set different than your login name for exactly that reason
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 12:23 PM
It's linked to your forum name, not your actual email address, or your home address. For instance, mine is listed kamui@kamui. Guess what my email address ISN'T. Either of those names. Don't worry, you're safe.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 12:24 PM
If you can see his login name, it's his own damn fault. When you create the account, you are prompted to enter your username and your forum handle. Do you really think LUE_The6BillionKgMan is my login name?

If you or someone you know didn't bother reading when he was creating his account (most people on these forums can't read, don't feel bad), you can contact customer support and they'll be more than happy to change your forum name.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 12:24 PM
No, actually it isn't your login name. When you create your account you make a login name plus a forum handle, which is used in game so that actual character names are no longer exclusive.

Anyone dumb enough to make both the same deserves to get hacked.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 12:26 PM
A.) Good password habits.

B.) Dont download random crap, and get a rootkit/keylogger

C.) Dont be dumb enough to fall for phishing.

Boom, hacker problem solved.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 12:28 PM
I saw Hackers, yes.

HACK THE PLANET! (and read the screen where it told you to have a different HANDLE than your LOGIN name).

If you DID make them the same, then contact tech support. There are multiple threads on this forum about how to do that. Use your search fu to find them.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 01:26 PM
I may "deserve" to be hacked since I missed something but the very idea that you can make this mistake is stupid. I notice the problem because my firend made the same mistake.

Why would the software even allow this mistake?

Lets say 1 out of 10 people make the mistake and their log in name is visible in the firends list. That is a lot of people who "deserve" to be hacked.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartshot View Post
I can see a guys log in name on my friends list. Are you nuts? Have you ever heard of hackers?

This is a stupid idea to let anyone see my log in name.

I had my account hacked in WoW.

This is just asking for trouble.
Your login and @global are both Heartshot? Hmm... Yeah mine are different. You'll never guess what my actual login name is. No, it's not Metallurgist. It's your own fault for setting them up as being identical.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
or you can let people assume that your @handle is just your forum handle, not your login name. it's not like when you look at it it states whether it's a login name or a forum handle.

keep your mouth shut and people will be none the wiser. don't use a stupid password and don't download anything you're unsure of and you won't get your account hijacked.