Career Officer
# 11
11-11-2013, 02:03 PM
I'd personally give it a try before ruling out your hardware. These specs really only indicate what PWE are willing to support and not necessarily what will run.
Career Officer
# 12
11-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark09 View Post
These specs confuse the hell out of me. I get that there's a difference between the two sides, but the minimum requirements on Windows are a Core 2 Duo at 1.8 Ghz, meanwhile the Mac side says you need an iSeries at 2.4 Ghz *minimum*? That's a significant jump in processing power for something that runs like glass on the BootCamp side already.

Hoping they're being overwhelmingly optimistic with those minimum requirements.
The Windows side has a native Direct3D 9/11 client, the Mac side is undoubtedly going to run under an emulation layer, since I can't imagine they've managed to port their engine to OpenGL with the intent of managing two concurrent separate codebases for both renderers. Hence the significantly higher system requirements on the Mac end.

I think they're only being overwhelmingly optimistic with the 256MB vram minimum requirement, for reasons that are rather obvious for anyone who has played with /showmem 1 set.
Career Officer
# 13
11-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomorph View Post
The Windows side has a native Direct3D 9/11 client, the Mac side is undoubtedly going to run under an emulation layer, since I can't imagine they've managed to port their engine to OpenGL with the intent of managing two concurrent separate codebases for both renderers. Hence the significantly higher system requirements on the Mac end.

I think they're only being overwhelmingly optimistic with the 256MB vram minimum requirement, for reasons that are rather obvious for anyone who has played with /showmem 1 set.
Anyone with integrated graphics will likely better on Mavericks than other versions, as Mavericks can dynamically apportion graphics memory (ML and earlier are fixed), and can compress memory to free up more space. Not sure how big of a deal this will be though.
Lieutenant
# 14
11-11-2013, 03:49 PM
so...does this mean that an ATI Radeon HD 4670 card will not work? cause its not listed on the specs....
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-11-2013, 04:00 PM
We'll all find out what works and what doesn't tomorrow!
Lieutenant
# 16
11-11-2013, 04:08 PM
well the problem is im running 10.6.8 mac and the only way i can test it out is if i upgrade, running the chance of completely messing my computer up. i think its called a hardware crash or something like that....not very good with computers....
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke3424 View Post
well the problem is im running 10.6.8 mac and the only way i can test it out is if i upgrade, running the chance of completely messing my computer up. i think its called a hardware crash or something like that....not very good with computers....
Luke, updating to a newer OS does not typically lead to a computer crash that would destroy your data. If you have a friend that's familiar with the Mac OS or a local Apple Store I'm sure they would help you learn more and explain how upgrading works.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 18
11-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomorph View Post

Managing two separate rendering systems is exactly what we can't do yet.

Having said that, the wrapper layer to OpenGL is quite fast. It's Transgaming's system optimized for games, and then optimized specifically for Star Trek on top of that.

The minimum requirements we have are what we've decided to support. It's based on the hardware that Cryptic, PWE, and Transgaming have all been using for testing. It might run on older hardware.

I'm actually very interested in hearing what everyone has to say about performance differences between Mac and PC for those running dual OSes.
Commander
# 19
11-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticcliff View Post
Managing two separate rendering systems is exactly what we can't do yet.

Having said that, the wrapper layer to OpenGL is quite fast. It's Transgaming's system optimized for games, and then optimized specifically for Star Trek on top of that.

The minimum requirements we have are what we've decided to support. It's based on the hardware that Cryptic, PWE, and Transgaming have all been using for testing. It might run on older hardware.

I'm actually very interested in hearing what everyone has to say about performance differences between Mac and PC for those running dual OSes.
10.6.8 is the last version that supports PowerPC programs like SimCity 4 Rush Hour and Civilization IV. The only reason to update has been to get Java 7. It's unfortunate that Apple chose to not renew the Rosetta license which enables PowerPC support.
Ensign
# 20
11-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Mac Minimum System Requirements:

• Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later
  • CPU: Intel Dual Core Xeon 3.0 GHz / Intel Core i Series 2.4 GHz
  • RAM: 4GB+
  • Hard Disk: 10GB Free Disk Space
  • Graphic Display: Intel HD3000 / Nvidia 9600M / AMD HD2600 with 256MB+ VRAM
  • Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
I have an Early 2011 Mac Book Pro here are my specs:

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.9
CPU: Intel Core i7 2.2 GHz (SandyBridge)
RAM: 16GB RAM
Hard Disk: 10GB Free Disk Space (256GB SSD with 192GB Free)
Graphic Display: Intel HD3000 with 512GB VRAM / AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB VRAM
Network: Internet Broadband Connection (28MB down 2.5MB up)

I have played various games on this Mac (Call of Duty4 MW / Dragon Age 2-a Cider Game port-and STO in BootCamp) and it seems to do well. I understand that my CPU is not "officially" supported but was wanting to know your thoughts on this. I really do not want to have to buy a DataDoubler from OWC and get another SSD for BootCamp to run STO. (The money I could save could be used toward ZEN). I will more than likely D-load it anyway and give it a run to see how well it does, I just want an opinion on it. I will be posting my findings on the forums.

Last edited by dudeplayinchicks; 11-11-2013 at 05:34 PM.