Starfleet Veteran
# 31
11-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticcliff View Post
>snip< The minimum requirements we have are what we've decided to support. It's based on the hardware that Cryptic, PWE, and Transgaming have all been using for testing. It might run on older hardware. >snip<
Well, it won't even startup in 10.6.8. So I'm SOL for the time being.
Formerly known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012

If the KDF can get a Fleet D7 (That can be upgraded to a T5-U), the Feds should have a Fleet Exeter.
Career Officer
# 32
11-12-2013, 10:50 AM
If your hardware is enough to support the game, it's enough to upgrade to Mavericks. Mavericks is free on the app store, so do that and you should be good to go. Just make a backup first just in case. Also, if you have old software or printers, verify it works in Mavericks.
Lieutenant
# 33
11-12-2013, 10:53 AM
I think i will be able to play this on my MAC ;D
http://imageshack.us/a/img823/3483/i5cx.png
Ensign
# 34
11-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Just to say I'm sooooo excited! I haven't played for years after I lost the partition on my old (vastly inferior) macbook. Have recently been missing the game so I've been trying to get round to installing windoze on my new mac mini - and now I don't need to!! Thanks so much cryptic.

I'm 30% patched up and will soon be playing with my (almost 4 year old?) character I'm feeling that my old reliable constitution refit class may be slightly outmatched these days from what I'm reading on the forums... I did get up to galaxy class but couldn't bear to let the old USS Glowworm go so I just messed around in PVP annoying my colleagues by turning up in a vastly inferior ship Before anyone says Glowworm is a rubbish name make sure you read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Glowworm_(H92)

Anyway see you all in game soon and I look forwards to being blown up by you.

I may post a very similar post in the introductions thread aswell - sorry if that is bad etiquette? Just fancy getting back involved.
Starfleet Veteran
# 35
11-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
If your hardware is enough to support the game, it's enough to upgrade to Mavericks. Mavericks is free on the app store, so do that and you should be good to go. Just make a backup first just in case. Also, if you have old software or printers, verify it works in Mavericks.
Oh my hardware can, but I can't upgrade to Mavericks just yet (even though it's free) I can't say why on the forums, but let's just say that the App Store doesn't recognize my computer... Even with my store bought Snow Leopard...

I really wanted to be able to leave the whole reboot into windows to just check Doffs or in game email or manage the starbase...

Guess I'll have to wait till I upgrade.

Thanks Cryptic for doing this port. Even if I miss out because I'm an edge case, it's awesome to have the option.

If the KDF can get a Fleet D7 (That can be upgraded to a T5-U), the Feds should have a Fleet Exeter.
Starfleet Veteran
# 36
11-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by storatt View Post
Careful... They tend to not like "those kinds" of computers here.

Career Officer
# 37
11-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Well, I won't criticize your morals since I honestly don't care about Apple's EULA. I play fast and loose with it sometimes out of necessity. I just don't understand Hackintoshes. The advantage of a Mac is that it's stable and streamlined thanks to the OS and hardware coming from a single vendor, and the OS therefore only having to support a known set of configurations. If you want the flexibility of a DIY rig at the expense of that stability, why not just use Windows (or Linux)?
Ensign
# 38 Alternitive way to play
11-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Ive been playing sto for the last few months on my Macbook via wineskin
and i know for a fact that you can play sto on dual core with wineskin
so if mac client dosn't work for you try Wineskin
Survivor of Romulus
# 39
11-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by storatt View Post
Yeah, don't think Cryptic will be supporting you. I completely understand though, my MacPro 3,1 kind of blew up a few months back and I was forced to fall back to my MacBook Pro for a while. Just upset the new MacPro you cant upgrade the GPU if your life depended on it. Its the whole reason I actually spent the extra grand on the thing, and for 5 years it was GLORIOUS. Normally my built Windows boxes only last 3, so the extra 2 years was so worth it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanlonehawk View Post
Oh my hardware can, but I can't upgrade to Mavericks just yet (even though it's free) I can't say why on the forums, but let's just say that the App Store doesn't recognize my computer... Even with my store bought Snow Leopard...

I really wanted to be able to leave the whole reboot into windows to just check Doffs or in game email or manage the starbase...

Guess I'll have to wait till I upgrade.

Thanks Cryptic for doing this port. Even if I miss out because I'm an edge case, it's awesome to have the option.
Must... resist... helping...
But its a kind of hard now to legally justify a hacked mac now. Before Mavericks you can make an argument under First Sale doctrine... but without an exchange of currency its difficult to say the business relationship isnt primarily through the EULA contract... which forbids you from doing it. Do love hacked macs though, its just your pretty much on your own at the end of the day. I gladly have paid a premium in the past to cut a few extra steps off of installs and upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
Well, I won't criticize your morals since I honestly don't care about Apple's EULA. I play fast and loose with it sometimes out of necessity. I just don't understand Hackintoshes. The advantage of a Mac is that it's stable and streamlined thanks to the OS and hardware coming from a single vendor, and the OS therefore only having to support a known set of configurations. If you want the flexibility of a DIY rig at the expense of that stability, why not just use Windows (or Linux)?
With a Hackintosh the main appeal is a huge increase in flexibility, and if you're careful with your component selection and process its just as stable and sometimes even more streamlined than the real deal. A lot of people want to be able to upgrade more than just storage and ram in their computers plus be able to touch their system. Its what I loved about the old Mac Pro line, sure it cost more but the possibilities were almost endless. Now Apple just killed it off, even on laptops you can't upgrade things like the memory anymore (late-2013 MBP the ram is soldered on). Its just to keep things simple to the average user and get every last millimeter of thin-ness they go too far for several users and we have to suffer.
I love OS X, Love my MacBook Pro, loved my MacPro, and can't comprehend what Apple is doing... so I completely understand a draw to build your own.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 40
11-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi Captains,

I've just made an update to the CPU section:

• "Intel Dual Core Xeon 3.0 GHz / Intel Core i Series 2.4 GHz" has been replaced with "Intel Core 2 Duo".

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment