Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 1 Mac Known Issues - 11/12/13
11-11-2013, 03:25 PM
These are the current known issues as of 11/12/13:

Known Issues:

• Currently, the only way to exit the game is via the in-game options.
    • The close button on the app's window doesn't work.
  • The initial screen resolution selected by the game is lower than recommended.
    • This can be adjusted in the Video Options window.
  • Occasionally UI icons, like radio buttons, can stop drawing.
  • The introductory videos for the tutorials don't display.
    • Players can still hear Spock's mellifluous voice, however, and the rest of the VO.
  • The Bloom in some parts of the game is a bit too intense.
  • Due to hardwardware limitations of the Magic Mouse, players can not depress both the left and right mouse button at the same time.
    • This does work with the trackpad, and with other computer mice.
  • Enabling the Video option for MSAA will cause a number of graphical issues.

NOTE: General STO Patch Notes and Known Issues can be found here.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 11-12-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added the last bullet point
Ensign
# 2
11-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Wow guys, I am thoroughly amazed. That is a very small list of bugs; I've seen many other games where the initial mac ports barely worked at all. Great job on this, and thank you! I've been playing STO on my mac through Wine, and it works pretty well but it has a memory leak. I'm looking forward to switching to the official port. This is a very unexpected but very welcome surprise.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Can't wait till tomorrow to start testing!
Cryptic Studios Team
# 4
11-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalgarm View Post
Wow guys, I am thoroughly amazed. That is a very small list of bugs; I've seen many other games where the initial mac ports barely worked at all. Great job on this, and thank you! I've been playing STO on my mac through Wine, and it works pretty well but it has a memory leak. I'm looking forward to switching to the official port. This is a very unexpected but very welcome surprise.
Much as I appreciate your optimism, I have a feeling that this list is going to grow a bit before the Mac client is out of beta. =P

We're still running around chasing down a bunch of last-minute little issues here and there. Embarrasingly, there are even a few things that work in WINE, but not the official port! :X
Commander
# 5
11-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalgarm View Post
The main client also has memory leakage. For instance, Exchange "all" search may stop working after being in the game long enough, but quitting STO and coming back will fix it. I've seen other similar symptoms that suggest memory leakage. I am not a programmer, but from what I know, bugs that only appear after a program has been open quite a while usually signal leakage.
Ensign
# 6
11-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticcliff View Post
Much as I appreciate your optimism, I have a feeling that this list is going to grow a bit before the Mac client is out of beta. =P

We're still running around chasing down a bunch of last-minute little issues here and there. Embarrasingly, there are even a few things that work in WINE, but not the official port! :X
So is this a Wine like port - or has this been coded from the ground up like a true native app?
Commander
# 7
11-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by torgo124 View Post
So is this a Wine like port - or has this been coded from the ground up like a true native app?
There was a post about this... It uses an optimized version of WINE that is supposed to minimize the framerate loss. Questions like this really should be asked in a different thread.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
11-12-2013, 12:25 AM
So question, you say there is only one way to exit the game from within the GUI that works correctly... does Command-Q exit the game cleanly or essentially force quit the game? Don't want to leave the server thinking I keep getting DCed.
Ensign
# 9
11-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
These are the current known issues as of 11/11/13:

Known Issues:

• Currently, the only way to exit the game is via the in-game options.
    • The close button on the app's window doesn't work.
  • The initial screen resolution selected by the game is lower than recommended.
    • This can be adjusted in the Video Options window.
  • Occasionally UI icons, like radio buttons, can stop drawing.
  • The introductory videos for the tutorials don't display.
    • Players can still hear Spock's mellifluous voice, however, and the rest of the VO.
  • The Bloom in some parts of the game is a bit too intense.
  • Due to hardwardware limitations of the Magic Mouse, players can not depress both the left and right mouse button at the same time.
    • This does work with the trackpad, and with other computer mice.
Look at that bloom! It' so INTENSE! MY EYYYYYYEEEESS!

I hope that gets fixed. And the close button. But won't the game close If I click the upper bar and press shut down program?
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
11-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drozdbot2 View Post
Look at that bloom! It' so INTENSE! MY EYYYYYYEEEESS!

I hope that gets fixed. And the close button. But won't the game close If I click the upper bar and press shut down program?
No, that menu option won't work. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

(Yes, we're already working on the issues on this list.)