Career Officer
# 121
11-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Anyone figure this one out?

The launcher runs fine and I can log into the game, but after about 5 minutes, it seems that my network connection drops where I can't do anything *but* I see others moving about.

Any thoughts?

I have enabled "prevent app nap" on the launcher.
Ensign
# 122
11-24-2013, 09:25 AM
I can't even get the game to start on my Mac. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro: 2.7Ghz Core i7, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000 card (512Mb), and I'm running Mavericks. The STO icon appears in the activity bar and I get the game menu on the top, but that's it. Nothing else happens. Any ideas what the problem is?
Career Officer
# 123
11-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomparis86 View Post
I start playing and soon my Mac: Frozen... Help me!!
I have the same issue, within 15 minutes of play the game freezes. I can force quit out of it but I've left it for 10-20 minutes at a time to see if it will recover and it never does on its own. This is on my Mac Pro with 10.9. On my MacBook Air with 10.8 I don't experience the same lockups which is interesting. I have disabled App Nap on the MP with 10.9

To Recap STO consistently locks up on this system.

Mac Pro
14 GB RAM
GTX 680
Mac OS 10.9

Does not lockup on

MacBook Air
4GB RAM
HD 4000
Mac OS 10.8.5
Career Officer
# 124
11-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devek2 View Post
I can't even get the game to start on my Mac. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro: 2.7Ghz Core i7, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000 card (512Mb), and I'm running Mavericks. The STO icon appears in the activity bar and I get the game menu on the top, but that's it. Nothing else happens. Any ideas what the problem is?
Force quit the launcher and reopen it. Usually after 2 or 3 times the launcher will actually load.
Ensign
# 125 Two Macs, two results
11-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Alright, let me say I'm really enjoying this beta.

I play STO on 2 Macs (when I'm not using my home PC) and up to yesterday I've been using Parallels Desktop to run it under a Windows emulation. It was far from good, but steady and stable.

Now I run it "native" on a 2011 iMac, Intel i5 2.5 Ghz, 8 Gb of ram, Radeon HD 6750M and OSX 10.7 Lion, and it's rolling very very good!
I switched most of the eye candies to Low in order to obtain more FPS, but the game works just great and it really looks good for being on such a system.

Now, I also happen to have a 2009 MBP, Intel Core 2 Duo 2,26 Ghz, 4 Gb of ram, Nvidia 9400M and OSX 10.9 (one of the last of his species) and the game seems to work out quite well.. but I can't turn off the Half Resolution toggle, which makes my game look like LEGO Star Trek. I'm not sure wether this is a bug or a restriction, but in a time when I used to boot it from a Bootcamped W7 (on this very machine) it was much better looking without that Half Resolution thing.

Any suggestion?

Last edited by matyasblues; 11-26-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Ensign
# 126 Half Resolution Option
11-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpyecho View Post
same here; except it's every third time for me, sometimes two.
That and I didn't see if this was mentioned before - but NPC and character faces seem to have a (and I believe I'm using the correct term) mesh issue [Edit: that is the wrong term, I mean whatever the detail that are wrapped around the model]. Namely the faces have dark areas. The graphics otherwise are fine.

Sometimes also a second login window will appear after successfully entering the game.

Incidentally I'm running OS 10.7.5, if further info is needed will supply upon request.
I noticed that too and looking at the video options revealed a "Half Resolution" option, which is stuck at "On" and I can't seem to turn it off.
Ensign
# 127
11-26-2013, 09:13 PM
Hi, guys. I'm SO happy you've brought STO to the Mac platform. I usually play on my cheezmo Win 7 laptop, but since the 188... error, i've been using my iMac. The hardware is significantly different, but let me say, the game looks BEAUTIFUL!

I wanted to mention a weird graphic issue/bug I've been experiencing: When an NPC has a pop-up dialog box while on the GROUND, over the NPC's face, there is a scaled-down, ghosting of the main screen, kind of like an "emboss" effect. By main screen, i mean, my player screen minus the NPC pop-up box.

Lemme know if I should post some screenies.

thanks!

d3n
Ensign
# 128
11-29-2013, 08:35 PM
No glitches for me except:

1) The first time I try to load the launcher it always force quits. I have to launch it again and it works fine the 2nd time. This happens every time I try to play.
2) The game crashes every time I try to enter the embassy from New Romulus.
Ensign
# 129 Mac Issues
11-30-2013, 12:07 PM
I get barely any glitches except:

1. When I play the secret message on New Romulus after achieving tier 1(New Romulus reputation), it crashes every time. If you skip the message then the game does not crash.
2. When I play the game for more than two hours the game starts to not load all of icons on the screen and the login screen is all white. To fix this I have to turn off the game and then turn it back on and then it is fixed.

3a. It is a little annoying when you make the game in windowed mode then when you go to a loading screen then it changes to full screen mode
3b. I am in full screen mode and then when I am in the loading screen it switches to window mode.
3c. This all depends on what the game it set to when you start the game. If you start the game in full screen then you get problem 3a when you switch to window mode in the middle of playing a game. If you start the game in window mode then you get problem 3b when you switch to full screen in the middle of playing a game.
Problem 3 is just annoying but not really a problem.

Problem 2 is the biggest problem hope you can fix it.

But I am really happy that there is a mac version now.

Last edited by bennytrek; 11-30-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Ensign
# 130 Gets disconnected
11-30-2013, 08:38 PM
I have been playing since the Beta opened and thoroughly enjoying the game. But today after about 5-10 minutes of play-time it disconnects my internet, exits the game and then I have to re-select my wireless network or restart my airport to reconnect to the internet. It has done this consistently after trying to get a good stable play session for about 2 hours now. This is the first day it has done this.
Anyone encounter or know how to fix this problem?

less game-breaking:

I've been having the problem where it takes 2 or 3 tries to get the launcher to start properly and having to force quit the launcher when I am done playing (Apple + Q does not close the game).