Ensign
# 51
11-12-2013, 10:03 PM
It's possibly due to the lack of the wine skin overhead, I'd imagine a lot more things might've been involved wih the wine port, also, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I'm noticing a lot of hanging and crashing when working around the new dyson areas. This particularly happens on loading screens.

Regardless, it's great that it's native now at all, I wasn't a fan of the wine port personally, and through Parallels it worked but with 'meh' results. Now overall it's much smoother. Keep up the good work, we've all waited long enough for the Mac version, I'm sure the Mac community can wait a bit longer while bugs are worked out

System: MacBook Pro w/ Retina 15 inch
OS X ver: 10.8 Mavericks
GPU: 650m
Memory: 8 gigs
CPU: Intel Core i7
Settings: graphics bar at maximum, msaa off
Resolution: 1440x900
Ensign
I really want to play this game on my Mac, but it froze up to the point where I had to "Force Quit" the game about six times during the Federation tutorial.

Now that I'm on the Starbase, it's locking up almost immediately--less than 30 seconds between crashes. *sigh* Unplayable.

Model Name: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2010
Processor Name: 2.93 Ghz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
Software: OS X 10.9 (13A603)

Ideas?

-Buxley
Ensign
# 53
11-13-2013, 12:03 AM
So I managed to log in last night (UK time). The problem I thought I had with the launcher was not a problem... it was me being stupid and overtired and trying to launch a half-installed wineskin version of the game from a while back. Many d'ohs!

Anyway, once I got in game, I was able to play smoothly at higher settings than I am used to on my Dell laptop. I expected this as my iMac has a superior video card and a lot more RAM.

Once I altered the resolution in settings, I had no issues with the UI or with excessive brightness. I did notice that some graphics weren't loading (some of the numbers floating above asteroids in the Azure Nebula Rescue were grey squares and the points reward box didn't have a graphic in my inventory). I also had to enter a 'one time code' three times haha, although it didn't ask me again this morning thankfully.

My main issue, as others have reported, was the fact that the game crashed/hung several times, resulting in me having to power down the computer in order to exit the game. I remember it occurred once during the intro to the Dyson ground battle zone and once during the load screen to enter ESD.

Overall, I'm really impressed with how smoothly it runs. I just hope the crashes can be resolved, or at the very least, a way to exit and restart the game without having to power down can be suggested/created.

Thanks for all the hard work! Here's an Apple for you... an apple... get it? *Engages personal cloak and runs away*
Ensign
# 54 Launcher Freeze
11-13-2013, 03:17 AM
I don't know if any one else if having this issue, or if it's just my computer. But it seems that every time I quit out of the game the launch window appears and 'freezes'. The Gateway advertisements still rotate, but none of the buttons work, nor am I able to shut it down properly (STO menu > Quit). I end up having to force quit it every time.

Also some severe lag in certain areas like Earth space port and Borg battles where skins tend to go missing.

Running
Mac OSX 10.7.4
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
Ensign
# 55
11-13-2013, 03:30 AM
The game just hung again for me, but I was able to avoid a cold restart by pressing Option + Alt + Escape and then hitting enter twice to force quit the game.
Lt. Commander
# 56
11-13-2013, 06:09 AM
FYI...when the launcher crashes and the Cryptic Error box pops up about gathering crash information and "Writing Full Dump" nothing happens. I've let it sit for 30 minutes before with no progress on the bar.
Ensign
# 57
11-13-2013, 06:33 AM
For the freezing/crashing issue, could it be the ATI video cards? When testing last night on my Mac Pro with an ATI Radeon 5770, the game would consistently crash. When using my MacBook Pro with the nVidia card, the game played for several hours without issue.
Lt. Commander
# 58
11-13-2013, 06:50 AM
If you have ATI and Integrated Graphics you can force the use of the integrated graphics with this app https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33905/gfxcardstatus

I use it all the time! Primarily because my laptop stays cooler and performs just as well with this game under the IGX. Using the discrete AMD chip gets the fan spinning higher and the laptop hotter.
Ensign
# 59
11-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Crash report. Action sequence: Romulan character, clicked "Transwarp to New Romulus". After loading screen, arrived in Earth orbit. Docked at Earth Spacedock. After a loading screen, walked out of the transporter room, game froze and crashed to desktop.

Specs:
iMac 27-inch, Late 2009
CPU: 2.8 GHZ Intel Core i7
RAM: 16 GB 1333 MHZ DDR3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB vram
Graphics settings: 3/4 (Anti aliasing up to 4x, others set to Low)
Character: Somara Tel'eth

Last edited by ariamaza; 11-13-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Career Officer
# 60
11-13-2013, 07:56 AM
I don't know if this is just on the mac side, but the old bug of it constantly putting abilities back on my toolbar that I had removed is present and annoying as ever. I know this had gotten fixed on the windows side a while ago.
"Back off man....I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman