Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 02:37 PM
**** was very smooth, probably the best I have seen. LotRO was pretty good too.

On the other hand, Anarchy Online was a total trainwreck (all zoning transitions failed, so some of us were stuck in a shop for three days), as well as World War Two Online (spawning in upside down with your head in the ground, for example). So far STO, despite the extreme whining by some drooling idiots, is pretty good. A bit of downtime is to be expected.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texada View Post
Warhammer Online was flawless

course in doing so it killed the game

they had to many severs the Population was spread to far out

by time they tried to fix it it was too late
I missed the whole Warhammer Online boat. Too into WoW while it was happening. Your story is very funny though. I suppose a good solution would have been to have too many servers accompanied by some sort of server assignment logic which kept population on the rise.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSloane
CoH was down all the time!!! Wake up man lol, that game was down every day for a month, it was right in my peak time slot as well being in the UK, maybe thats why most of you didnt notice it.
Yeah I would have remembered down every day for a month. Maybe I was just lucky and hit the times when it was actually working.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2010, 02:42 PM
There are always some problems with MMO launches - though some have more than others. STO is still not as bad as the SWG launch, but I'd have to say STO is in the worse half of the population of major P2P MMO title launches. At least when STO is up, the game is playable (unlike some MMO launches)
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlick View Post
Got any names?
Yes i could name a couple, but the tone of your post is that your waiting to pick my answers apart and thats not my reason for posting. So a simple yes there was but its very rare will be all I give. And as far as the launch of this game goes, i have seen much worse and i have seen better....this is about average my concern comes with the fact that every crash results in 2+ hours of downtime and i still see most of the major bugs from OB in game still. that alone causes me to lose some faith in our devs work.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Mars View Post
**** was very smooth, probably the best I have seen. LotRO was pretty good too.

On the other hand, Anarchy Online was a total trainwreck (all zoning transitions failed, so some of us were stuck in a shop for three days), as well as World War Two Online (spawning in upside down with your head in the ground, for example). So far STO, despite the extreme whining by some drooling idiots, is pretty good. A bit of downtime is to be expected.
Yeah, I must say that the bulk of my personal frustration with the STO early launch stems from the Steam screw up, for which I cannot find a way to be comfortable with blaming Cryptic. When the server comes back up I look forward to rolling my liberated borg. (Fingers crossed. )
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-30-2010, 02:44 PM
most of the people *****ing don't understand MMOs.

it's not even launch day, cryptic's doing us a favor by letting us play early. chill people. I say again..

Cryptic is doing us a favor by letting us play early

they're not obligated to let us have prelaunch, chances are they're still ironing out the Kinks for the game to go live
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisen
Yes i could name a couple, but the tone of your post is that your waiting to pick my answers apart and thats not my reason for posting. So a simple yes there was but its very rare will be all I give. And as far as the launch of this game goes, i have seen much worse and i have seen better....this is about average my concern comes with the fact that every crash results in 2+ hours of downtime and i still see most of the major bugs from OB in game still. that alone causes me to lose some faith in our devs work.
Hmmmm, I am not sure you have read my posts then. I am just curious about other peoples experience. I too have seen MUCH worse and a bit better.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemurKing View Post
At least when STO is up, the game is playable (unlike some MMO launches)
Amen to that!
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Anytime STO is compared to another MMORPG, a ***** fest will follow. That's what happens when game companies try to cater to a group of people so dedicated to Star Trek that they will dress up in funny costumes and go to conventions and movie releases!

Here's some food for thought...IF there have been smoother MMORPG launches in the past, then STO fails for not being ready at launch. If there have NOT been smoother launches in the past, then STO fails for maintaining the status quo. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. You're original question was doomed from the beginning