Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
01-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Paynicus
Lord of the Rings Online was pretty smooth, but not one has launched without some issue.
I agree with this statement, I played in open beta for LOTRO as a pre-order customer, same as in STO, and the open beta/head start period was exceptionally smooth. It almost seemed "too" quiet...the game just worked, it was quite impressive. I think the actual launch day may have had a hiccup or two, but nothing I can remember.

Certainly, at the point in LOTRO that we're at now with STO (open beta behind us, second day of head start) the differences between the two are literally like night and day. So it CAN be done.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
01-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
most of the people *****ing don't understand MMOs.

it's not even launch day, cryptic's doing us a favor by letting us play early. chill people. I say again..

Cryptic is doing us a favor by letting us play early

they're not obligated to let us have prelaunch, chances are they're still ironing out the Kinks for the game to go live
Perhaps then they shouldn't offer a head start. Or at least when advertising such they should have some fine print: "Game is still undergoing fixes, please expect many hours of down time." But then that would certainly cut into the pre-order sales wouldn't it?

And just to head off some folks - while I'm disappointed with the current outage (one must admit it is starting to become rather long) I'm not freakin' out and don't hate Cryptic (at least not yet).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
01-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
most of the people *****ing don't understand MMOs.

it's not even launch day, cryptic's doing us a favor by letting us play early. chill people. I say again..

Cryptic is doing us a favor by letting us play early

they're not obligated to let us have prelaunch, chances are they're still ironing out the Kinks for the game to go live
I agree with your post except for the obligation part. They are the ones who gave early launch as an option. They obligated themselves to the task, voluntarily. Anyone expecting them to honor that obligation is in no way left of field.

As for the bugs, well it's just sort of the modern day working paradigm of game design (especially MMOG's.) Games are rushed through and then fixed once an income stream has begun. That's just the current prevalent business model. Anyone who doesn't grok that seems to me to be pretending that their head is half in the sand.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
01-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
most of the people *****ing don't understand MMOs.

it's not even launch day, cryptic's doing us a favor by letting us play early. chill people. I say again..

Cryptic is doing us a favor by letting us play early

they're not obligated to let us have prelaunch, chances are they're still ironing out the Kinks for the game to go live
Lol. I understand that people payed real money for the opportunity to play in the Head Start.

Look, people b.itched about STO during the OB and people like you said, "...but it's the OB, wait for the Head Start Launch and the things will be fixed." Now that we're having issues during the Head Start, people are saying, "...but it's not the real launch." What happens when this happens on Wednesday, the day after launch? Are you going to say, "...but it's only the first week of the launch..." When does it stop?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
01-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keniden
Lol. I understand that people payed real money for the opportunity to play in the Head Start.

Look, people b.itched about STO during the OB and people like you said, "...but it's the OB, wait for the Head Start Launch and the things will be fixed." Now that we're having issues during the Head Start, people are saying, "...but it's not the real launch." What happens when this happens on Wednesday, the day after launch? Are you going to say, "...but it's only the first week of the launch..." When does it stop?
It won't stop. The fanboys will be singing their praises all the way until the doors close. They always do. The best part is when they come here and say things like the OP "best launch ever" LOL Wonder what he/she thinks now that the server is down for hours. Funny this is how SWG started
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
01-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Some people have convenience memory. I conveniently remember what I want so I can B**ch, whine, and moan about something. The greatest MMO ever, WoW, had so many issues in the startup that I still remember my friends and family screaming when the crashes occur. LOL

So where do we go from here? Well I went and got some food, watch a little TV, talk to my wife, and pet the dogs. Life is to precious to bust a vein on something like a game. You know, it's snowing outside and I'm going to take pictures while my dogs play in it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
01-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCrazyGuy
It won't stop. The fanboys will be singing their praises all the way until the doors close. They always do. The best part is when they come here and say things like the OP "best launch ever" LOL Wonder what he/she thinks now that the server is down for hours. Funny this is how SWG started
After experiencing SWG launch and *** launch, I have built up a tolerance to failed launches. STO is nothing to complain about really.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
01-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlick View Post
Just wondering. I can't recall one. If anyone can, please raise a post. If any other poster can corroborate that statement I will believe that such a thing might be possible.
Lord of the Rings Online. Pretty much flawless in the US (Though in the EU Codemasters underinvested in their internet pipe).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
01-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphsmith View Post
Lord of the Rings Online. Pretty much flawless in the US (Though in the EU Codemasters underinvested in their internet pipe).
But then that would mean it was not perfect.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
01-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrailsgalore View Post
But then that would mean it was not perfect.
Indeed. "Pretty much flawless" does not equal "Perfect".

Good spot.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 PM.