Lt. Commander
# 41
01-30-2010, 03:15 PM
There hasnt been an MMO launch I have been involved in that has gone smoothly.

Technically, STO hasnt launched. Dont know why we are all crying about down time. Its unreasonable to think an MMO is going to be perfect. If people thought that about WoW, WoW would have died a long time ago. WoW had problems at start. Still has problems. Its because people play it. Lots of people. Things break. Servers get over worked. Things happen.

Anyone who think servers that take this work load are going to be pristine, flawless, perfect with 100% up time... Have never worked on servers that handle thousands of logins, streaming data, etc. Even youtube goes down from time to time.

What am I saying anyways? This isnt even retail or started officially yet? No point in beating Cryptic when we arent really paying for anything yet.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-30-2010, 03:16 PM
WoW.
It was perfect from launch all the way to LK *eyeroll
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrailsgalore View Post
After experiencing SWG launch and *** launch, I have built up a tolerance to failed launches. STO is nothing to complain about really.
I'm not complaining, but I'm also not the one saying best launch ever. All I'm pointing out is that this is NOT the best launch ever, period.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Wasn't Earth and Beyond pretty smooth also if memory serves me.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdecardo View Post

Technically, STO hasnt launched. Dont know why we are all crying about down time. Its unreasonable to think an MMO is going to be perfect. If people thought that about WoW, WoW would have died a long time ago. WoW had problems at start. Still has problems. Its because people play it. Lots of people. Things break. Servers get over worked. Things happen.

Anyone who think servers that take this work load are going to be pristine, flawless, perfect with 100% up time... Have never worked on servers that handle thousands of logins, streaming data, etc. Even youtube goes down from time to time.

What am I saying anyways? This isnt even retail or started officially yet? No point in beating Cryptic when we arent really paying for anything yet.
Ok so you sound like one of the "hey stfu it's beta" people. Headstart IS launch, not sure how you can claim it's not. People are playing that paid for the game, playing a couple days early is their reward for ordering earlly. Additionally, just like when people in beta kept saying "it's only beta" I have to ask, given what YOU deem is launch, do you REALLY think something will be different in 3 days??? Seriously, think about that.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLord View Post
Some people have convenience memory. I conveniently remember what I want so I can B**ch, whine, and moan about something. The greatest MMO ever, WoW, had so many issues in the startup that I still remember my friends and family screaming when the crashes occur. LOL

So where do we go from here? Well I went and got some food, watch a little TV, talk to my wife, and pet the dogs. Life is to precious to bust a vein on something like a game. You know, it's snowing outside and I'm going to take pictures while my dogs play in it.
I don't think it's convenience memory. It's just a matter of convenience period. I'm truly happy that this server down time has afforded you to spend some time with your family and has allowed you to eat. But what about people in different time zones whose only times to play were when the server was down? I totally understand that this is just a game, but the principle of it is that people have paid $50-60 on something that's letting them down.

Consider this. You go to a restaurant and you just spent money on a terrible meal. You complain and the management says too bad. It's just one meal out of thousands of meals in your lifetime right? And you'll probably never go back to that restaurant. But the point is that you're still upset because you paid hard earned cash on something of your choosing...and it was crappy. Same thing applies to STO.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:

Lol again. All you guys comparing STO to WoW are missing the point. WoW launched in 2004. Are you telling me that there had been ABSOLUTELY NO PROGRESS made in 5-6 years? We continue to accept, AND PAY FOR, mediocrity.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-30-2010, 03:35 PM
I am not mad and have taken the time to read and do other things. People do have a right to be a little upset though because if they are like me, I would really like to be playing the game because I only have tonight and tomorrow to decide on special subscription rates. Sure I am having fun but I really wanted to get past where I did in beta before I decide if I wanted to drop over $100 on a sub on top of the $60 already. I have been through many MMO launches and I understand these things happen and that is what I am not ranting and raving like a lunatic but I haven't had a clock over my head for special offers before and it's been down longer than the planned maintenance this morning.

People also have to understand that for some people, these problems do not instill confidence and can kill a new MMO for them. We are just over 29 hours since headstart and already had quite a few hours of downtime. Let's not fool ourselves either because most of the people that bought this game are probably trying to play this weekend too so it is release day for the fans. The headstart was part of the package when we pre-ordered the game. It's called an incentive, not a favor. It benefits them as much as it does us so they can try and avoid these issues after the official release day.

Unless I missd something we haven't had any updates since it happened almost 3 hours ago either. A few words on what is going on or even an ETR might help calm some people that are really angry about this downtime because they are probably just sitting around refreshing the page or trying to log in and see if it is back up yet. Then again there are a lot of MMO's out there that don't even acknowledge a problem so I guess we can be happy they at least acknowledged the problem and that they are working on it. Either way this can't be a good thing. They could have reset the whole cluster and had it running by now. So I am really concerned we are dealing with something much more serious than a simple server glitch.

I wonder how calm everyone would be if they come back and announced the database was corrupted, failed being backed up and everyone now has to start all over from scratch? Anyway, I am off to play something else since it looks like it is going to be a long night for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrailsgalore View Post
But then that would mean it was not perfect.
Hmmm... Reaching, anyone?
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:

You sound like you know a bit more about the technical side of this than I do, but from my perspective the question I have isn't comparing STO to any specific MMO, but rather to the state of the industry in general. Cell phones have gotten better over the last 10 years, televisions (think of no plasmas or LCD's) have gotten better over the last 10 years, cars have gotten better over the last 10 years, etc.... They are better in large part because they have improved upon the mistakes of the past.

The question is why aren't MMO's getting any better? I don't mean in terms of game play or graphics or any of that, I mean in basic server stability. It seems to me that after all this time server stability would be a no-brainer.

I'm not really whining, its just a curiosity on my part. Should expectations ever improve or is the state of this industry just stuck on continually repeating the problems and mistakes of the past. Just my 2 cents.