Career Officer
# 11
11-12-2013, 07:02 AM
I must be the odd one out when it comes to grinding, I enjoy playing the grind missions more so when doing them with fleet mates.
and if you want to avoid some of the grind wait until they run a winter or summer special, you can usually raise a few epohh or tropical birds and trade them for marks.
I have reached all lv5 reps on all my toons but still play most of the so called `grind` missions with fleeties just for the fun of it, I play sto every day and still earn marks most days for rom, nuk or omega marks there a great way to earn extra dilithium.
I am quite looking forward to the new rep both personal and fleet and hope they keep adding lots more in the future.
I also have enjoyed replaying the lobi featured episodes with fleeties it much more fun then doing them solo and if you mix your abilities ie sci eng. tact. you can often pick up many more accolades by association then you would do on your own.

having said all that I still challenge anyone to find an online game that is not repetitious at some point.
take world of tanks for example fun though it can be, start with t1 tank grind a few battles, earn experience and silver, buy better gun turret tracks ect, earn experience and silver, buy bigger tank, repeat - repeat - repeat aka grind - grind - grind, the bigger the next tank the greater the grind.
that's just one example I can think of that has plenty of grind and as far as I have seen most online games have a similar grind for greater weapons/spells/wealth whatever.

Last edited by bobbydazlers; 11-12-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Captain
# 12
11-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the input people, again your opinion is always welcome.

I must say with some I have to agree I rather have a good storyline with a winning part then to have to play a mission over and over to get finaly something done.
Give me a story that takes a few ours to complete with a possible break offcourse, I rather do it the starfleet way to think my way true a senario and then be rewarded for it and with that I buy something out off the store.
Also when you are not realy a grinder give an option like the fleetships that you buy something from the store to get it also.
This is my idea but it would be also an solution to those off us who have an job and a famely and not have the whole day to play.

Maybe Cryptic can do something to those people also to have fun and that they might be able to fly nice ships, I mean I bought almost everything I wanted to have from the store.

I think they make some money out off us but you won't find me much on fleet missions and such but if I can I help my fleet I will.
Also I like to add I love the way Cryptic is going with the game but lesser mark would be nice just one coin for all so you can decide what you like to play to earn that mark and spend it, And I do believe that was promissed back then by Stahl just EC, GPL, Dilithium and Marks and that would be it but I notice now with every adventure zone they open their is comming a new payment too like before where going the same direction like we did before when the game launched.

Hope you agree with me on this or maybe you notice something else just let us know in here, Devs your reply here is also welcome.

Last edited by kirk2390; 11-12-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Captain
# 13
11-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk2390 View Post
Like to hear opinions from players ?
Story has no place in a Star Trek game.
Career Officer
# 14
11-12-2013, 09:44 AM
I like it all.. I do prefer the Story arcs.. Yet, I recently joined a new Fleet (Task Force Draco) and though I've been here since BETA I rarely got to try any of the group content.. grind or otherwise. These guys like to group up though so I've gotten to try the group grind stuff and honestly its not really that bad. Its a nice change of pace from the story content (Which you can take people along with you in those you know).

Remeber STO's not just a solo run through, you can, but try some of thos missions and episodes with a group to bring new life to them.. and besides, other players tend to be a bit smarter than your BO's.
Vice Admiral Kheldryn B'ourne-United Federation of Planets-Engineer
"On my planet, we live underground. We're at home in space, Its dark. Let the darkness show us the way."
"I found a bug in Beta, Cryptic squished it. STO Founder and Proud LTS member."
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Want to play an mmo? Get ready for a grind somewhere in your game of choice. I always thought grinding could be a good thing:

1. Meet new folks in groups.
2. Sense of accomplishment when finished

Exciting new periodic content release + mmorpg = grinding previous content.

Once the grinding is gone, get ready for the 'there's nothing to do in this game' rants.
Captain
# 16
11-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Like to know if anyone likes the upcomming season 8 or do you feel just like us another day off grinding again and again ?
Did Dan drop all mission writters out an airlock or someting where is the spirit these days ?
Or is Cryptic turning into a free to play grind machine ??

Oh, yea, like you thought it would be different. This game has been a grindfest since F2P, and the bugship scratch cards.
This all happened... more, or less.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Like to know if anyone likes the upcomming season 8 or do you feel just like us another day off grinding again and again ?
Did Dan drop all mission writters out an airlock or someting where is the spirit these days ?
Or is Cryptic turning into a free to play grind machine ??

LOl looking over the release notes proves its nothing but more grind. Welcome to sto. As for me i went over there and got the first mission. Trying to do it was a joke. Unless you like lag just skip season 8 for a couple of weeks. This whole game has been instance and now this. I know its the first day. They didn't think that it would be flooded with players i guess.
Career Officer
# 18
11-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Ugh more grinding.........

Reputation Grinding + Dilithium Grinding + Fleet Mark Grinding = 1 massive unfun experience.

I really hope there is no more blasted Reputations or new Fleet Holdings from now on.
Career Officer
# 19
11-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I really hope there is no more blasted Reputations or new Fleet Holdings from now on.
i hope so to but i think that is wishful thinking
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-12-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm usually the last person to complain about anything in STO, but this Voth/Dyson grind is just that. Another bleeping grind. I looked SO forward to new material, new storyline, something as compelling & in depth as NR was at least. Naw, this is actually worse than Nimbus. It's a crying shame, it really is. A lot of visual talent & hard work went into this, resulting in a very beautiful setting. But it's a hollow & empty atmosphere (no pun intended) The storyline we get simply feels both rushed & utterly lacking at the same time (is that even possible to accomplish with one thing? Sure seems like they did) Grind, grind, and MOAR grind doesn't make up for that in the slightest. I'm not ticked or upset, just hugely disappointed.

I dropped the last storyline mission and trans-warped out on the spot. Like Nimbus, I very highly doubt I will ever go back to the Sphere in it's current state.