Lt. Commander
# 51
02-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyYoung View Post
there is no crafting in STO? not that ive seen, you collect annomolies and trade them and 1x unit of an item for a better version of it. You havent crafted anything you simply swapped items for an item...
In all honesty, is 'traditional' MMO crafting any different? Trade ingredients for product.

The Memory Alpha upgrade method is more fitting to Trek than fabrication of basic items - that's what replicators are for.
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconnaise
I honestly think they couldn't think of any way to include a crafting system. Thinking about it more just makes me think this is the most logical answer. How would you put in crafting in a star trek mmo? The only thing I can come up with really is something similar to what they have which is a system that upgrades what you have. I mean in the series the engineers like laforge and obrien would modify what they have perhaps making it run better etc. The closest thing I have seen in star trek was in voyager with the photonic holograms mining dilithium when the doc was seeking equal treatment. Why would we mine our own resources anyways when we can use holograms? Look at todays assembly lines for any product and they automate as much as possible.

Upgrades seem the best solution so far imo.

So ummmm.... who builds the ships? Who makes all the parts inside the ships... what about the weapons.... surely not everything is made with a replicator.
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
So ummmm.... who builds the ships? Who makes all the parts inside the ships... what about the weapons.... surely not everything is made with a replicator.
People who shouldn't be commanding their ship out on the front lines.

That said, there's very little in a Starfleet ship that didn't at least get assembled from replicated components.
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
People who shouldn't be commanding their ship out on the front lines.
So that would give STO another form of gameplay.... that would be a good thing. Too much pewpew and not enough anything else atm.

Quote:
That said, there's very little in a Starfleet ship that didn't at least get assembled from replicated components.
Replicators still cant assemble things. Crafting is exactly that.... assembling items from ingrediants.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Quote:
So that would give STO another form of gameplay.... that would be a good thing. Too much pewpew and not enough anything else atm.
Yes, but I'd rather see at least halfway complete Klingons before even thinking about adding economic personnel into the game.

Quote:
Replicators still cant assemble things. Crafting is exactly that.... assembling items from ingrediants.
If the current system is silly, then just buying parts for anything from the same industrial replicaor and slapping them together is even sillier.
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Yes, but I'd rather see at least halfway complete Klingons before even thinking about adding economic personnel into the game.
Agreed there but honestly it should all be in by now.... its release

Quote:
If the current system is silly, then just buying parts for anything from the same industrial replicaor and slapping them together is even sillier.
/sigh it doesnt have to be like THAT... use your imagination. Crafting can be very viable but im not about to draw a whole plan out for it.... thats not my job.
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Agreed there but honestly it should all be in by now.... its release
Hey, it's an obvious rush job. But better to finish what they have half-included first.

Quote:
/sigh it doesnt have to be like THAT... use your imagination. Crafting can be very viable but im not about to draw a whole plan out for it.... thats not my job.
Can't have a crafting system patterned on Eve or Galaxies without crapping all over the lore.

The 'rare data' + basic item system fits well, and is close-ish to how the plot device phlebotinum of the week would be generated. The system suffers from the tendency of item acquisition systems in STO to be slapdash laundry lists rather than item selection by specification. This is annoying but also a broader issue.
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Quote:

True.

But another thing to keep in mind is this: There are no real artisan crafters in Star Trek.

Leah Brahms designed the Enterprise-D but didn't BUILD it. Sisko designed the Defiant but wasn't active in every component of its construction. Scotty or Spock or Data or LaForge might get an idea for a device but they always have a team they turn to to build it or a machine that simply makes it from the blueprints.

******** style crafting would be positively theme-breaking. Among other things because it's based on making money off of a trade, something both Star Trek as an IP and Cryptic in its previous games have pretty staunchly opposed. Cryptic puts in some core economic conceits to get stuff cycling around but generally tries to avoid instilling their games with a profit motive. In the past because they said they felt it was "unheroic" for super-heroes and I'm sure their attitude towards Starfleet captains isn't much different.

In a Cryptic game, you do fun stuff with money. You have maybe a few nice upgrades or cosmetic things to save up for. But make no mistake, Cryptic DESIGNS their games to produce lots of millionaires who have nothing to do but think up ways of giving money to new players, friends or new characters.

In WoW, lowbies spam you asking for gold to buy a sword or pay a repair bill. In Cryptic games, high levels folks will spam you asking you to take money off their hands.

And I, for one, prefer the latter. 'Cause I feel like a jerk for ignoring somebody asking me for money and you should too. It breeds contempt for newbs and encourages realistic behavior. If I wanted to behave realistically, I'd go outside. I want to behave like an altruistic hero in a utopian economy, not feel put upon to pay my own bills and contemptuous of anyone else who wants my money/resources.
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrailsgalore View Post
What is the purpose of crafting if we have replicators?

Very true. Although i'd miss crafting in mmo's its something to break up doing combat all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 60
02-02-2010, 01:03 AM
OP I disagree with the results you forsee, mainly because I can't see this game being successful. In fact, I think its going to tank, in short order. Cryptic has demonstrated what their business ethic is- they don't have one. This is the second game they have launched with a gross lack of content (lol klingons) and now, on the FIRST DAY OF LIVE, they are already selling content in the CSTORE (Ferengi and fed klingon). Once again, they launch a game that is devoid of content, completely filled with holes, and now they are going to charge their players to add in everything that should have been in at launch. This game is already on the express elevator to hell.