Captain
First, a definition. We of TV Tropes have a term called fridge logic, defined as something you don't realize didn't make sense until a few minutes after you watched the show (e.g. when you're looking in the fridge).

Now, the subject of the thread. Don't get me wrong, I love my Fleet Avenger to death, but some fridge logic hit me about it recently. Namely, what's the point of putting windows on the inside of a dual neck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Stephen Franklin
Just one second. If you saw a child from one of these "inferior" species bleeding to death and all you had to do was move a finger to save its life, you wouldn't do it?
Ensign
# 2
11-30-2013, 07:57 PM
What moron would put windows on a warship to begin with, or expose the bridge like starfleet does, or put the ftl engines on pylons extending from the ship?

just go with it
Captain
# 3
11-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadiikaa View Post
put the ftl engines on pylons extending from the ship?
I think they explained that as a warp physics thing in one of the technical manuals. Don't quote me on it, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Stephen Franklin
Just one second. If you saw a child from one of these "inferior" species bleeding to death and all you had to do was move a finger to save its life, you wouldn't do it?
Ensign
# 4
11-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
I think they explained that as a warp physics thing in one of the technical manuals. Don't quote me on it, though.
fair enough i guess, still no excuse for the rest of the rather dumb design choices.
Captain
# 5
11-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Obviously, the purpose of windows is simple: If you have unwelcome guests roaming about the ship, you can just roll down the windows and let them out. Whether the windows are actually facing into anything with a view is completely unimportant. Being windows is just camouflage, to keep the enemy from suspecting that they're not harmless.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
11-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Now, the subject of the thread. Don't get me wrong, I love my Fleet Avenger to death, but some fridge logic hit me about it recently. Namely, what's the point of putting windows on the inside of a dual neck?
So they can wave to the neighbours across the street, so to speak? Most high rise buildings have windows that face another monolithic building with more windows in it, I guess people sometimes just like to look out side, no matter what the view is once in a while.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Rihannsu
# 7
11-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadiikaa View Post
What moron would put windows on a warship to begin with, or expose the bridge like starfleet does, or put the ftl engines on pylons extending from the ship?

just go with it
the reasoning for the warp engines on pylons was because they are very powerful and potentially dangerous, so they put as much distance as possible between them and the habitable hull.
Captain
# 8
12-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc;13774901 Namely, what's the point of putting windows on the [i
inside[/i] of a dual neck?
Obviously your 24th century starship architects have a sense of fun. Perhaps it was for peeping toms or for the crew to moon one another from the comfort of their quarters. Imagine if it caused a scenario like in the film Rear window!
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Career Officer
# 9
12-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Quote:
For crew comfort all cabins have an 'outside' view. Made as a basic requirement for equality so now all of them have a window. Even if that window is going to face a bulkhead. So bureaucracy in action.
Career Officer
# 10
12-02-2013, 12:51 PM
hmmm...
In Star Wars, windows are a form of *TranspariSteel, just as durable as the Hull.

I also remember Picard saying (In First Contact) something about the "windows" not actually being there, that it is just a force field barrier.

Last edited by taylor1701d; 12-02-2013 at 01:06 PM.