Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,426
# 91
12-04-2013, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodarkrider View Post
Well, contrary to popular belief, there are people, who want improvement of models, as the character is important part of STO for them. Don't see why they should cut the 'model guy' at all.
Contrary to popular belief, there are some players that just want a playable game. Ergo given the choice between making an anatomically correct, flat chested, female toon, or say being able to actually complete missions in order to advance the game, I choose the latter. Like I said before, it's an aging engine that was never that good to begin with. The character models are gonna look crappy no matter what.
This all happened... more, or less.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 158
# 92
12-04-2013, 06:07 AM
People working on 3d models are always needed for 3d game. Today they are tweaking character models, tomorrow they may be needed for environment or ships.
You can't just "cut" them, unless you are happy with no further development as all.
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,426
# 93
12-04-2013, 06:12 AM
*facepalm*
This all happened... more, or less.
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,426
# 94
12-04-2013, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedacthunist View Post
People working on 3d models are always needed for 3d game. Today they are tweaking character models, tomorrow they may be needed for environment or ships.
You can't just "cut" them, unless you are happy with no further development as all.
"Okay guys... we're all set with "3D models" right now. You, you, and you, get down to bug fixes, talk to Sizzlechest, he'll get you started."

See? Simple as that. Companies do it all the time. Most able-bodied managers are aware of this practice. It falls under "Time and Personnel management". Most one trick ponies find themselves out of work these days. Of course, if Cryptic really is a company where everybody does one job, and one job only, that would explain a lot.

"Oops... hey, no work on models today, guess I'll just look at dirty pictures all day, and get paid for 10 hours."
This all happened... more, or less.

Last edited by capnkirk4; 12-04-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 158
# 95
12-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
"Okay guys... we're all set with "3D models" right now. You, you, and you, get down to bug fixes, talk to Sizzlechest, he'll get you started."

See? Simple as that. Companies do it all the time. Most able-bodied managers are aware of this practice. It falls under "Time and Personnel management". Most one trick ponies find themselves out of work these days. Of course, if Cryptic really is a company where everybody does one job, and one job only, that would explain a lot.

"Oops... hey, no work on models today, guess I'll just look at dirty pictures all day, and get paid for 10 hours."

Except 3d modelers and skinners aren't coders. Different kind of job. You can at best move them from one kind of models to different.

And don't expect from the company to replace them with more coders, since they may be needed for next season.

And no, people doing graphics almost never do actual coding. 3d artist may be 2d and concept artist as well, but rarely is a programer.

Last edited by meedacthunist; 12-04-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,013
# 96
12-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
"Okay guys... we're all set with "3D models" right now. You, you, and you, get down to bug fixes, talk to Sizzlechest, he'll get you started."

See? Simple as that. Companies do it all the time. Most able-bodied managers are aware of this practice. It falls under "Time and Personnel management". Most one trick ponies find themselves out of work these days. Of course, if Cryptic really is a company where everybody does one job, and one job only, that would explain a lot.

"Oops... hey, no work on models today, guess I'll just look at dirty pictures all day, and get paid for 10 hours."
Well, one of the art team clearly told you, that the modellers can't fix the game bugs. But you still keep griefing here about how you want bug fixes and how they should stop working on character models. That also proves they don't have one person to do it all, doesn't it? Sheesh, some people.

Also, people want improvements on the character models, that is clear enough. But, just because this is done by the art team, it doesn't mean it removes the ability of the company to remove bugs. As these departments are separate from each other and probably work independently on each other. So, please, stop hating?


Quote:
[10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.
bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh.
Twitter - @JanDarkrider (RP & self-parody in character)
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,426
# 97
12-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedacthunist View Post
Except 3d modelers and skinners aren't coders. Different kind of job. You can at best move them from one kind of models to different.

And don't expect from the company to replace them with more coders, since they may be needed for next season.

And no, people doing graphics almost never do actual coding. 3d artist may be 2d and concept artist as well, but rarely is a programer.
You don't understand. You can chase down/analyze/replicate bugs without knowing how to write a single line of code. Know what? Forget it. You're right. We should just focus on getting all the character models to look as best they can. The rest of the game doesn't have to work. Players can just log in, and admire their toons.
This all happened... more, or less.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,013
# 98
12-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
You don't understand. You can chase down/analyze/replicate bugs without knowing how to write a single line of code. Know what? Forget it. You're right. We should just focus on getting all the character models to look as best they can. The rest of the game doesn't have to work. Players can just log in, and admire their toons.
And what you don't understand is, that one is not exclusive of other. Just because models are being worked on, it doesn't mean bugs are not. So, once again, stop hating here. People are waaay too negative and it's getting old really fast.


Quote:
[10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.
bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh.
Twitter - @JanDarkrider (RP & self-parody in character)
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,426
# 99
12-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodarkrider View Post
Well, one of the art team clearly told you, that the modellers can't fix the game bugs. But you still keep griefing here about how you want bug fixes and how they should stop working on character models. That also proves they don't have one person to do it all, doesn't it? Sheesh, some people.

Also, people want improvements on the character models, that is clear enough. But, just because this is done by the art team, it doesn't mean it removes the ability of the company to remove bugs. As these departments are separate from each other and probably work independently on each other. So, please, stop hating?
Why is expressing an opinion that's contrary to yours "hating"? I understand character models bother some players enough that they have to post thread after thread about the issue. However, some players can't advance in the game because it is broken. Some people can't even log in because the game is broken. Some log in and then CTD, because the game is broken. It's kind of an all hands on deck emergency right now. At least it should be. I realize these issues don't affect you personally, and I'm not 'hating" as you say, just trying to give you some perspective, regarding your concerns for big ta-tas, and fat ankles.
This all happened... more, or less.

Last edited by capnkirk4; 12-04-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,426
# 100
12-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodarkrider View Post
And what you don't understand is, that one is not exclusive of other. Just because models are being worked on, it doesn't mean bugs are not. So, once again, stop hating here. People are waaay too negative and it's getting old really fast.
Still not quite sure what this "hating" bee is you seem to have stuck in your bonnet. So you should be the one who decides the who/what/where/when/why of an open forum? And anyone who disagrees with you, hates you? I don't even know you.
This all happened... more, or less.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41 AM.