Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 03:12 PM
mmm pie
Lt. Commander
What makes me laugh is that this happens at the launch of just about every MMO l and you peeps are still surprised by it.

Ultima and Eq were messed up for like a week or more. Everybody was quitting, like now. Everybody was never going to play the game again. Just like now. Yet enough peeps didn't, like this will be.

Of course the conspiracy theory would be that it's on purpose so we don't get too far ahead of everyone else.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah, it's happened before. Yeah, it'll happen again. But it's still annoying and less than optimal.
So, they're working on it. It'll get done when it's done. That sucks, too.

So it goes.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Like I said, i was expecting downtime, but i also expected an eta so I know when to try and log back on, I took some time off for head start so I want to get as much play time in as possible. Every time the server went down in open beta they posted an ETA.

If the ETA is monday morning I am fine with that, but I want an ETA so I am not wasting my time waiting for a game to come up.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpost View Post
What makes me laugh is that this happens at the launch of just about every MMO l and you peeps are still surprised by it.

Ultima and Eq were messed up for like a week or more. Everybody was quitting, like now. Everybody was never going to play the game again. Just like now. Yet enough peeps didn't, like this will be.

Of course the conspiracy theory would be that it's on purpose so we don't get too far ahead of everyone else.
Just playing devil's advocate here but didn't UO come out in like, 1997? One would hope the opening day jitters for the very first top selling MMO (no Merdian doesnt count, nor do your muds) would be avoided by companies who have watched some 20+ games of similar genre release in the twelve years since. At least during headstart, you know, when server load is minimal compared to opening day.

That said, it is par for the course with MMO's.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0rh4mm3r
Sorry, I expected downtime during the headstart, but how about a frickin ETA?

ASAP is only an ETA if the server is being rebooted.

2.5 hours is not ASAP, and not having an update after 2 hours is not ASAP either.

1st, it took 30+ minutes before cryptic even acknowledged the server was down, and then they gave us no ETA.

Now, here we are 2.5 hours on and still no update.
I agree, I had to work all day. I was like "Sweet now I can go home and finally play some STO." I had no idea how wrong I was, or how disappointed I would be. Oh and I don't wanna hear anyone say things like "Shutup it's beta." We all know that this will be going on AFTER headstart also. They don't seem to care that this is headstart and a peak time for people to play. I know a bunch of people who have been trying to play for every minute of this headstart. Sadly I had to work 8-4 today and 9-5 yesterday so I've had very little time to play.

It's not headstart if we can't play.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0rh4mm3r
Sorry, I expected downtime during the headstart, but how about a frickin ETA?

ASAP is only an ETA if the server is being rebooted.

2.5 hours is not ASAP, and not having an update after 2 hours is not ASAP either.

1st, it took 30+ minutes before cryptic even acknowledged the server was down, and then they gave us no ETA.

Now, here we are 2.5 hours on and still no update.
From http://www.merriam-webster.com

Main Entry: ASAP
Function: abbreviation

"As soon as possible"

Might want to take a moment and review that entry. While you're at it, read this one as well.

Main Entry: ETA
Function: abbreviation

"Estimated time of arrival"

Unless the servers are physically in transit to some other location, an ETA will do you no good, as they won't be arriving anywhere.

2.5 hours, 2.5 days, 2.5 weeks. It's all the same. As soon as possible means just that. As soon as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
If they could give us an ETA it would have been 2 hours ago. I'm sure they will let us back in as soon as possible.

The disconnects happened around noon (PST) so I thought it was like "I'll just commit that before lunch" and it's gonna be fixed once they finished the sandwich but apparently there is a much bigger trouble. So relax, it's gonna be up again soon.

UPDATE: the game says "you are not allowed ... " so something has changed, I feel it's gonna be up in just a few minutes now! Also, agree to the post before me about ETA, it really isn't proper use of the term but whatever, the vast majority of the people just communicate on a lower level, although one would expect more from Star Trek fans but one may be wrong apparently.
Lt. Commander
# 29 No Eta!
01-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Well 3.5 hours later & still down with no ETA. The least they can do is let us know when we might be able to play.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-30-2010, 03:36 PM
lol at definition of soon..

http://www.wowwiki.com/Soon

on launch day i'm goona play dragon age or global agenda... it's going to be hell for a day or two... the few betas i did i've never seen a clean first day..