Lt. Commander
# 1511
02-23-2011, 03:44 AM
U.S.S. Kerensky and U.S.S. Allard-Liao
from the Blood of Kerensky Battletech books.

U.S.S. Marcus Cole
from my favourite character in Babylon 5.

then I have a few ships named after places I've been or places I've lived in, or even places I wish to see/move to..
U.S.S. Stockholm (sweden)
U.S.S. Wilmington (north carolina)
U.S.S. Nebraska
U.S.S. Sangerhausen (germany)

and then of course a few that were given to me by the random-generator:
U.S.S. Oceania (which always cracks me up, I imagine a dystopian ship where all my crew-members are worried about me (Big Brother) looking over their shoulders).

oh, and of course a Nostromo and a Sulaco. cause, you know you gotta.
Lt. Commander
# 1512 I know how you feel...
02-23-2011, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basekid View Post
I only keep my newest ship, and it is called the Whale because the ship (cruiser) handles like one
I got tempted to break from my naming convention, paint the sluggish monster white and call it U.S.S. Moby ****. Frustratingly slooow.

Anyways, I do have a naming convention, taken from the DarkSithian Navy ( both "wet" and space) which in turn is taken from ancient shipping company names: all ships have an adjective and the word "leech". So, my shuttle and runabout are the "tiny leech" and the "harmless leech" while my current ship is named "daring leech".

As to exactly where I got this "ancient shipping company" naming convention, it comes from the book "Tai Pan" by James Clavell, where all the ships from the "good guy" company had the "cloud" name ( i.e. "resting cloud" ) while all the ships from the bad guy company had the "witch" name.

As to what is the "DarkSithian Navy", obviously it's the navy that belongs to the Evil Federated Empire of DarkSith, a fictional space empire made up by me for another game and that puts together elements from several of my favorite sci-fi sagas and books. And, yes, as the name suggests, they are Dark Side of the Force followers. There is a lot to tell about DarkSith, but the only relevant piece of data as of right now is that the Emperor's name is Darth Thanatos, which is the name of my ingame character.
Lt. Commander
# 1513
02-23-2011, 05:45 AM
The name generator?
Lt. Commander
# 1514
02-23-2011, 06:00 AM
The Nostromo Ill give a cookie to the old folks who may know where that is from

(Favourite Movie of all time)
Lt. Commander
# 1515
02-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzuli View Post

Alien be da movie
Lt. Commander
# 1516
02-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzuli View Post

Nostromo is Italian for "Mate" or "Boatswain" It is also the title of a novel written in 1904 by Joseph Conrad (Set in the fictional mining town of Sulaco. ) Later it was used as the name of the mining ship in Alien. :3

=edit=
Nostromo was the name of my LRSV. I had another ship named the Moonraker, after the highest sail on a fully rigged ship. ^.^ (I like using nautical terms for my ships, sometimes. :3 )
Lt. Commander
# 1517
02-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Lets see:

Engineer - Federation
U.S.S. Serenity
Taken from the TV show Firefly

Tactical - Federation
U.S.S. Serendipity
Just had the urge to call it that.

Science - Federation
U.S.S. Aphrodite
On a Goddess kick, the character is named Athena and her final ship will be the Lilith

Tactical - Klingon
I.K.S. Xiongmeng De Kuangren
Chinese for violent lunatic, unfortunately the whole name does not fit, so it reads I.K.S. Xiongmeng De Kua. So I will be changing the name.
Lt. Commander
# 1518
02-23-2011, 02:29 PM
U.S.S Ark Royal, after the anouncement that the H.M.S. Ark Royal is going to be decom'd, i thought the name should live on, plus i have a cousin twice removed at lt. com (or equivalent as we don't speak much due to her being out at sea alot).
Lt. Commander
# 1519
02-25-2011, 09:42 PM
The ship I fly under my Galli Frey toon is called the Blood of Daleks... named after one of my favorite audio episodes of the Eight Doctor Adventures :p
Lt. Commander
# 1520
02-25-2011, 11:04 PM
U.S.S. Cassandra NCC 94123 (not sure on the reg number never really looked) rear Admiral Lustrati, Commanding

(was originally Arch Angel) named after my partner who passed on and i was playing and thought it would be a geeky cute way of remembering her (even bought a sovereign model ship and have started painting it based on my ship in-game) so far as ive seen she's the only ship named it too

U.S.S. Discovery

Started a new science char and thought the name fitted a science vessal