Lt. Commander
# 1861 My Ship
04-26-2012, 06:32 AM
The U.S.S St Leonard - Rhode Island Class Vessle,

Leonard was a religious man, who took patronage over prisoners,
According to legend, who he freed from their cells saw their chains break before their eyes. Many came to him afterwards, bringing their heavy chains and irons to offer them in homage. A considerable number remained with him, and he often gave them part of his vast forest to clear and make ready for the labours of the fields, that they might have the means to live an honest life.
Lt. Commander
# 1862 How do you name your ships?
04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
I was just thinking, how do you guys decide on the name of your ships for characters? Any methords, i mean, i allways name mine for one chacter after planets, like, a defiant class i call the U.S.S. Pluto because it seems fitting or the Saturn for the Oddesy class (Seems fitting due to its abilty to have various things orbiting it, like worker Bee's, Escout or the saucer)
Lt. Commander
# 1863
04-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welly16
I was just thinking, how do you guys decide on the name of your ships for characters? Any methords, i mean, i allways name mine for one chacter after planets, like, a defiant class i call the U.S.S. Pluto because it seems fitting or the Saturn for the Oddesy class (Seems fitting due to its abilty to have various things orbiting it, like worker Bee's, Escout or the saucer)
At first, I used Greek/Roman gods, but then I realized that a lot of people do that.

I tried going to Wikipedia and searching "lists" so that I could find things in a series to name my ships after; planets, presidents, continents, sci-fi authors, casts of movies, etc....

Dirty little secret: I finally settled on the cast of a favorite sci-fi show, and now my ships are the U.S.S. Stewart, U.S.S. McFadden, U.S.S. Burton, U.S.S. Frakes, U.S.S. Dorn, U.S.S. Sirtis, U.S.S. Spiner, U.S.S. Muldaur, and the Runabout U.S.S. Wheaton.
Lt. Commander
# 1864
04-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Thats pritty cool, i see all these ship names running around and sometimes i wonder what brought the name on it
Lt. Commander
# 1865
04-28-2012, 11:57 PM
When I'm not making anime hintwinks, I use canon.

For example, my Dreadnought Gal-X is called the Yamato because itís from the mirror universe, where USS Yamato did not get blown up by the Iconians, and survived long enough to be retrofitted with a Wave Motion Gun, like its 1979 space-faring namesake.

Oh wait, thatís another anime hintwink! :p
Lt. Commander
# 1866
04-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Hah, i have no idea what an Animiwink is, but okay! and thats kinda where my making came from, Cannon, kinda... Because i got Star Trek Amarda II, which, was an awesome game in my veiw (but i would of loved to have single player skirmish's), and it came with a "U.S.S Jupiter" Card, Arika Class, So, when i reached level 20 and got an Arika call, i naturaly called it the U.S.S Jupiter, Moved to the U.S.S Pluto (now Pluto MK I) and now use U.S.S. Saturn and U.S.S Pluto (Retrofit)
Lt. Commander
# 1867
04-29-2012, 05:15 AM
I name all my Fed engi's ships after songs from a certain band, my Fed tac's ships after Diablo 2 unique items, my Fed sci's ships after Babylon 5 Minbari names, my KDF tac's ships after Homeworld (the 3D PC RTS) ships and characters, and finally my KDF sci's ships after various Middle Eastern gods & goddesses.
Lt. Commander
# 1868
04-29-2012, 05:20 AM
I name all my ships for my Sci toon after NASA missions:

Viking
Cassini
Opportunity
Curiousity
Messenger
Lt. Commander
# 1869
04-29-2012, 05:26 AM
on one of my characters all my ships had a viking theme - Ragnarok, Vallhalla, Midgard, Mjolnir etc
on another (T'Challa aka Marvel's Black Panther - and yes a Caitain) all the ships were named for elements in that characters story: Avenger, Vibranium, Ororo, Wakanda etc
on Sif my science officer most of the ships have been named for puzzles - Conundrum, Enigma etc or scientists - Tesla, Fermat etc

over on the KDF side I mostly went with what the randomiser would generate although my last BOP is called B'Dog - Bad Dog (I was watching the School Reunion episode of David Tennants run on Doctor Who and K9 was called Bad Dog by Tony Head's character and I thought it was a pretty fitting description of a BOP - a nasty terrier of a thing which nips away at you and then bites hard!)
Lt. Commander
# 1870
04-29-2012, 05:44 AM
Depends on the character
my vulcan @name character names his after science programs (Horizon for example)
My primary named the Galaxy class thundershild after the warship in war of the worlds
But my Favorite ship name is the USS Blaze (named after the character johnny blaze)