Lt. Commander
# 1 LFG HOGGER sto vs wow
01-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Do you think Star Trek Online can take on WOW or at least become #2 in the MMORPG world? i played in the beta for both games and i must say that sto was the winner at making the game more fun in beta and what i know from when the game gos live for every one else they are going to have some cool stuff for us to get our hands on what dos every one else think,

lets hear every ones pro vs cons ill get my list going to
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 02:52 PM
This should be interesting...

...grabs some popcorn and sits back...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Make sure when comparing the 2 games that you are looking at WoW at the time of their release date, not currently. They are(were) both buggy but nothing to terrible. WoW had terrible patch days, which Cryptic has done a great job with.

I think in the end WoW will still be #1, though STO will probably get high up there, until KotOR comes out.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 02:57 PM
No, and no. WoW was great. I played it for over 4 years, and it still had a warm place in my heart, though I left it 7 months ago.

I doubt STO will be second. That being said, it's a fairly good take on the Star Trek universe. (As far as MMOs go) WoW is king, and it will BE king until Blizzard decides it's time for Starcraft Online,, or WoW 2, or whatever. STO won't compete. It won't even be in the same league... But it'll be fun, and I'd predict profitable.

It a world where the gold standard is a game that would take in 150+ million a month from subscriptions, maybe a fiftieth of that isn't too bad.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Beat WoW? Defiantly not. Number 2? probably not. Top space game? Eve will remain top.

I think however this game will gather a strong number of subscribers and should be able to reach 100k subs alone if only due to a strong player base which will be drawn to the game by the IP.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Hogger? Alliance = fail
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 03:00 PM
I was hoping the servers would come up quick, guilds doing ICC in an hour >_>
Lt. Commander
# 8 Pro vs cons
01-30-2010, 03:02 PM
World of ********
Pros- fast the game dosnt feel slow your always doing something
lots of gear to choose from, lots of instance to do from lvl 1-80 blizzard always has new content being worked on and many people to play with

cons- maybe fast game play but its the same quest over and over again go get me this iteam go kill that mob here bring this note to that guy over there. im not a dex-ex guy people. the servers are never stable and new content is always bugged o lets nerf some more shi* how about you guys fix pallys you know that class that can roll your face naked???

STO- pros the game starts out in mid battle a borg incounter was fun for me brings back the good ol days of watchin SNG- your fighin on foot in the ship, takin your ship savin people from a ship thats going to blow the hell up. you can go inside your own ship look around your bridge cool fun stuff.

cons - from what i have seen from the game there isnt much i can say some lagg issues but every new game has that look at wow they still have server lagg its bin out 6 years, i guess the only complant i have is at some points its slow movin the missions where i just scan **** is boring give me somthing to shot at and then im good to go lol
Lt. Commander
# 9 sto vs wow
01-30-2010, 03:05 PM
i dont think sto will ever beat wow not in a long run, BUT eve i think its got it owned up down left and right, eve was a fun game but sto takes what eve has and makes it better. sto editer for custom aliean and ship are great lots to choose from
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibilicus127 View Post
Beat WoW? Defiantly not. Number 2? probably not. Top space game? Eve will remain top.

I think however this game will gather a strong number of subscribers and should be able to reach 100k subs alone if only due to a strong player base which will be drawn to the game by the IP.
Sorry, No. EVE Online only has roughly 300,000 subscriptions. The Star Trek IP alone will earn STO more than that.

But no, STO won't beat out WoW. WoW appeals to a much larger audience than Star Trek, and frankly Star Wars appeals to a larger audience than Star Trek.

Some of that is subject to change with Abrams revitalizing the IP for a new generation and Lucas digging the hole ever-bigger for Star Wars, but I'm sure 'Wars will have more subscriptions than 'Trek and WoW will retain more than both. It's not about quality so much as it's about IP appeal.