Lt. Commander
# 1 EvE Veterans, read here
01-30-2010, 01:49 PM
My character name here, as in EvE is Logan Williams. I've played EvE now for 5 1/2 of it's 7-8 year life. There seems to be a big deal about how EvE players come in and cry how this is different from EvE. People complain about server issues, playability issues, PvP issues (yes, I too want to be able to grief in this game) and we're catching alot of the blame because we complaqin alot.

What we and others need to realize is EvE IS 8 years old. It's HAD it's share of the exact same problems. When STO is 8 we'll probably have much the same level of reliability as we experience there. This game has MASSIVE potential, and I don't see anything major that will cause me to leave. i.e. it's good enough that I bought the lifetime sub. Besides, at least here that don't have "Soon (tm)" as a trademark yet
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
i agree. entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 02:09 PM
I forgot to add...... that we EvE players seem to be complaining about the lack of free space. You're forgetting that EvE didn't have a stellar 30+ year history as verious series and movies to try to remain true to. You're also forgetting that currently everything is on a more horizontal axis. In time, maybe we'll get a more 3-D map and addititions can be added up or down. Besides, be honest, as an EvE player when did you ever leave your map in 3D mode?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I actually do leave my map in 3d mode in eve, mostly to marvel at the distances between stars and the red globs of warnings of where people were located at or dying at.

But yes, and really, if we all wanted another eve... why wouldn't we all just go back to eve?

i wanted something different, its why i didnt resub to eve again.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Incoming trollpedoes! All hands brace for impact!
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 02:19 PM
To the old Eve players, remember life before Castor? No stop button, get stuck on an object whilst trying to warp and you were stuck.

No cloak on jumping, hit jump and your ship was at the next system's JiP where any there could see and shoot you whilst you looked at a black loading screen. Same with undocking. What about the many ship models stuck to your ship after warping...
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Theres been a lot of chat comparing STO to WOW and EVE and people seem to be missing the point, if you like EVE and it's death penalty erm,,, play EVE! it's not dead and it fills it's own market, Personally I played EvE for 6 years but I'm bored of it now so I've moved on and it's nice to go barreling into combat without thinking how many days I may have to spend grafting to replace me losses.

WOW I have no idea I've not played it but much the same argument if you like WOW play WOW, STO isnt trying to be EVE or WOW it's trying to be STO so appreciate it for what it is imo.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganWilliams
...PvP issues (yes, I too want to be able to grief in this game)...
If that is your mentality then you are really in the wrong game. A mainstream title that has a core PvE system is not going to allow that and might even consider griefing a bannable offense. Hopefully they will get things right and find a decent balance for competitive PvP, but that will be the focus, not ruining someone else's gameplay experience.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Great thread IMO

I think alot of the peoples problem is sooo many people just have the grass is greener on the other side of the fence mentality. They dont remember or dont want to remember the bad times in the games they are currently playing

Also many of them like/love Eve WoW EQ etc and have many many hours invested into their game of choice so they either dont want to see another game succeed because they are afraid it might hurt their game or they have the mentality that what I play is better (just because they play it) so I want yours to fail to show the game I play is better. People never want to be "wrong" even though there is no right or wrong saying STO is better or worse than the game they have been uber at for years
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 02:45 PM
holy crap, a EVE player admitting that PVP in EVE is mainly griefing
bookmarked

(not that it isnt well knoen already, just that its usually "no thats not thr only reason we" lol)