Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 03:22 PM
You mean like 7 of 9 type BO or like hey we just found this borg and unplugged him, can we make him captian type BO?
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 03:23 PM
As far as i am ware, Liberated borg were fully reinstated as starfleet officers.

HOWEVER, the op has a valid point. Remember, the Enterprise-E was the best ship the fed had, yet she was ordered to stay away from the borg conflict under fears that Picard would crack under pressure facing the borg again.

So he has a valid point.

Personally i believe that SI (starfleet intelligence) would be keeping a close eye on all of these. It would be a funny thing if every borg charecter got a free counselling officer that stayed on the bridge and did nothing but was just 'there' to keep an eye on them
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Worked for Picard.

Get assimilated, get rescued, become liberated from the collective, go home, get drunk, have a cry about it all, go command starship. I've heard the tale a thousand times.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
Two fine examples that you're ignoring which gives Cryptic their justification. Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise and Seven of Nine.
Not at all, Read my previous post re Picard.

Seven of Nine was NOT a bridge officer. She was NOT a commissioned Starfleet officer and never held a bridge post.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tallen View Post
Yes, but liberated borg serving as Captains and Senior Bridge officers during a conflict with the Borg?

That dog don't hunt.
Actually it "DO" hunt, like someone up there said, it's an "F"'ing video game.
I don't ever recall seeing the following in any episode of ST either...
1) A ship with the name SIRBOUNCYONES
2) An officer in SF named DEEZNUTZ
3) A Klingon spamming "Holla at ya boi *****ez!"

Let's back up to the point where most of us realize this isn't real, it isn't a movie, it's not a book.
Thank you for your time.
/discuss
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Yes, but liberated borg serving as Captains and Senior Bridge officers during a conflict with the Borg?

That dog don't hunt.
Next you will tell us that placing Japanese in Interment camps while the Allies fought them was a great idea
Lt. Commander
# 17
Quote:
No, thats exactly my point as it happens.

They ordered the Enterprise NOT to come to the Wolf 359 fight because of Picard.
Which ended up being a mistake, since it was Picard and the USS Enterprise that saved the day on that occasion.

Quote:
Now, were being sold the story that the Borg are making a consolidated push on the Alpha Quadrant. So why, when fearing a Borg invasion, do they appoint NEW Borg Captains and Bridge Officers?

Doesn't follow im afraid.
Think of it like this, Picard and Seven have had the best of luck when fighting against the borg, perhaps Starfleet is hoping that these liberated officers might give them a fighting chance against this nightmare of a situation.
Lt. Commander
# 18
On that note, Tallen is wrong about wolf 359.

the enterprise was asked to get there ASP

But on Sector 001 battle (first contact) they were ordered to stay away, due to fear over picards sanity when facing the borg again.

Im pretty sure starfleet regulations allow former-borg to be fully reinstated, just not allowed to go fight borg

So, OP, to summarize:

Time of war, they need the officers. starfleet intel probly keeps tabs on them all, and they are probably not supposed to go near the borg.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2010, 03:27 PM
While Picard may have been ordered not to engage the Borg in First Contact, I think the fact he did, saved Earth in the present, and saved Earth in the past... well, if that admiral wasn't dead, he owed Picard an apology.

Instead of seeing that situation as justification to deny liberated Borg officers positions in the fight against the Borg, I think it proves beyond a doubt they can, in fact, be a special asset in that fight.

Also note.... Janeway was assimilated -- sort of -- and not only allowed to remain in command but promoted. :p
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s32ndDamian View Post
Actually it "DO" hunt, like someone up there said, it's an "F"'ing video game.
I don't ever recall seeing the following in any episode of ST either...
1) A ship with the name SIRBOUNCYONES
2) An officer in SF named DEEZNUTZ
3) A Klingon spamming "Holla at ya boi *****ez!"

Let's back up to the point where most of us realize this isn't real, it isn't a movie, it's not a book.
Thank you for your time.
/discuss
Wow, you sure it's not real? I never knew that

All your points are not really relevant as for it to be relevant you'd have to assume Cryptic control how players express themselves, they don't, well, not noticably yet.

I'm talking basic design, basic lore, things Cryptic have instilled into the game.