Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s32ndDamian View Post
Actually it "DO" hunt, like someone up there said, it's an "F"'ing video game.
I don't ever recall seeing the following in any episode of ST either...
1) A ship with the name SIRBOUNCYONES
2) An officer in SF named DEEZNUTZ
3) A Klingon spamming "Holla at ya boi *****ez!"

Let's back up to the point where most of us realize this isn't real, it isn't a movie, it's not a book.
Thank you for your time.
/discuss
This is not real

Dang it!!! I quit my job after I got my commission in Starfleet yesterday.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tallen View Post
Does anyone know how Cryptic in their "version" of the Star Trek lore justify all these liberated borg captains and officers?

I just can't see Starfleet making Borg senior officers and captains when they are currently in a conflict with the Borg, a-la First Contact.

Just doesn't fit for me. Lifetime sub should have been something else, perhaps genetically enhanced Starfleet Officers a-la Bashir?
Technically, all star fleet did was make a liberated borg an Ensign. It was fate that makes them an Admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2010, 03:30 PM
on a side note...genetically enhanced race is a damn fine idea for a new race

Ala-Bashir
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Wow, you sure it's not real? I never knew that

All your points are not really relevant as for it to be relevant you'd have to assume Cryptic control how players express themselves, they don't, well, not noticably yet.

I'm talking basic design, basic lore, things Cryptic have instilled into the game.
The FACT it's a GAME really throws all of that out of the window doesn't it?? Since it's interactive entertainment and not real canon?!?! I'm not rally making fun of you, just saying I wouldn't expect too much in that department. Fact is people want to fly ships, play as the borg, etc, so it's going to be written in.
Lt. Commander
# 25
Quote:
No, thats exactly my point as it happens.

They ordered the Enterprise NOT to come to the Wolf 359 fight because of Picard.

Then, they were not really at war with the Borg, the Borg just showed-up.

Now, were being sold the story that the Borg are making a consolidated push on the Alpha Quadrant. So why, when fearing a Borg invasion, do they appoint NEW Borg Captains and Bridge Officers?

Doesn't follow im afraid.
Wrong battle.
Lt. Commander
# 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsunami View Post
But on Sector 001 battle (first contact) they were ordered to stay away, due to fear over picards sanity when facing the borg again.
I don't think they feared his sanity so much as it was an unknown factor and they didn't want to risk it. They might have thought the Borg would be able to re-assert control. We have to remember this was only Starfleets second real engagement against the Borg.

And while Picard was able to tap into the Collective to a small degree, that situation proved they couldn't just re-assert themselves and control Picard. Add to that Seven of Nine's experience and 30 years, and the uncertainty of that factor has vanished. They would now know that liberated Borg individuals are indeed free of the Collective and can, in fact, use their experiences in a notably beneficial capacity.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orisorn
Technically, all star fleet did was make a liberated borg an Ensign. It was fate that makes them an Admiral.
Heh, thats a brilliant answer
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
On that note, Tallen is wrong about wolf 359.

the enterprise was asked to get there ASP

But on Sector 001 battle (first contact) they were ordered to stay away, due to fear over picards sanity when facing the borg again.

Im pretty sure starfleet regulations allow former-borg to be fully reinstated, just not allowed to go fight borg

So, OP, to summarize:

Time of war, they need the officers. starfleet intel probly keeps tabs on them all, and they are probably not supposed to go near the borg.
Hah, yes, your right, im getting my episodes and movies confused.

The main gripe is that they are making Borg Captains/Officers when they are on the brink of a conflict with the Borg, it would be hard to keep them away from the collective Borg if they do invade.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
on a side note...genetically enhanced race is a damn fine idea for a new race

Ala-Bashir
Except that what he went through was illegal and, when it became known, nearly cost him his career in Starfleet. It's possible the Federation has relaxed its rules regarding such things, but I honestly doubt it. To do so would have set a very bad precedence and opened a very dangerous door back into augmentation research.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
I remember the days when a Klingon would be shot dead on sight on the bridge of a Federation vessel. A few decades later and along came Worf. Bridge officer, and eventually commanding officer of the Defiant.

You can now get Klingon bridge officers in the Federation....during a time of war with the Klingons!

Where's the outrage at that?

Times change and opinions towards groups of people change, sometimes in a relatively short period of time.