Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 People are confused.
01-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Just like with EVERY MMO, Game Experience May Change During Online Play. This includes servers crashing. Your $50 pays for the box, packaging, and game CD's. Your $15 a month pays to get access to their servers and play whatever characters you create. None of your money grantees servers will be up 100%, nor guarantees you will have optimal game experience. No where does it state that about ANY MMO.

Copy and paste word for word where Cryptic, or ANY MMO company gives a 100% ( it has to be 100%) garantee that their servers will never crash, their internet lines will never go out, and they will never experience power failures. If you can do that, I will forever keep my mouth closed
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Your well thought out, reasonable post has no place here. This is an internet forum. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrailsgalore View Post
Just like with EVERY MMO, Game Experience May Change During Online Play. This includes servers crashing. Your $50 pays for the box, packaging, and game CD's. Your $15 a month pays to get access to their servers and play whatever characters you create. None of your money grantees servers will be up 100%, nor guarantees you will have optimal game experience. No where does it state that about ANY MMO.

Copy and paste word for word where Cryptic, or ANY MMO company gives a 100% ( it has to be 100%) garantee that their servers will never crash, their internet lines will never go out, and they will never experience power failures. If you can do that, I will forever keep my mouth closed
My $50 (actually 60) paid for the rights to download the game, I did not get a box or cds or any packaging. you may be right that the game does not have to be up 24/7, but as with any MMO if the servers do not stay up to long and/or perform well you can basically say goodbye to the game... Age of Conan is a great example, the servers were terrible, as was the programming behind the game major memory leaks. This causes many players to leave the game, my $15 a month ensures that I am going to be able to play the game, otherwise why would I pay the money to them?

As with any MMO you are also customarily given Customer Service in game through GMs. I am beginning to think that this is a Myth in STO and simply does not exist...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
I found the uniqueness of a thread about server downtime intriguing, so I had to be part of it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckTrek
Your well thought out, reasonable post has no place here. This is an internet forum. :p
Heh.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-30-2010, 01:14 PM
The consumer has a reasonable expectation by law for the product to work when purchased. Having said that... when participating in anything online you are subject to uncertainty of the internet. Some idiot could hit a telephone pole down the street and knock out your DSL for hours... a switching station in another state could go down and cause your latency to go through the roof till it's fixed. A contract may not be negotiated in time and server is shut off. Or in this case, somebody at cryptic tripped and got celebration cake all over the servers.

In the end the consumer always accepts a bit of risk, which is why they are entitled to some expectations. If this down time occurs days or more, then the law falls upon the consumers side and only if it can be proven it's cryptic's fault. We have a hell of a long way to go before reaching that point so get comfy and chill. Go buy the freedom force pack for sale right now on steam for 2 bucks or something. STO can wait.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-30-2010, 01:20 PM
dude you miss the larger point. just days ago the servers were down on average 3x a day. And that could be 2-3 hours at a time. In short it could not handle it

This doesnt appear to be a random event but standard SOP for this game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paynegiver1
My $50 (actually 60) paid for the rights to download the game, I did not get a box or cds or any packaging. you may be right that the game does not have to be up 24/7, but as with any MMO if the servers do not stay up to long and/or perform well you can basically say goodbye to the game... Age of Conan is a great example, the servers were terrible, as was the programming behind the game major memory leaks. This causes many players to leave the game, my $15 a month ensures that I am going to be able to play the game, otherwise why would I pay the money to them?

As with any MMO you are also customarily given Customer Service in game through GMs. I am beginning to think that this is a Myth in STO and simply does not exist...
Age of Conan is still a functioning game and even has an expansion about to be released. But basically the game doesn't even have to be up at all. When you agreed to the EULA, you agreed that what you paid for was either the game CD's, or digital copy, and that's about it. And all Cryptic agreed on was to provide you with those CD's, and ways to DL the client, and that is it. If the servers happen to be up, that is a bonus, technically speaking of course. As far as I know, there is nothing that grants a customer a "minimum" amount of playable hours he/she must be allowed to log on Cryptic's servers, otherwise Cryptic is in breach of contract.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting a game that works. Just because MMOs have an all around lower standard does not mean we should all accept it.

But try not to take it too personaly. Truth be told MMOs are allot more complicated then stand alones.

The moral here is to expect a great game and nothing less but don't flip out and rage quit if there is a problem. Cryptic knows they need to deliver a game that players can enjoy or they will leave. One of the worst offences a game maker can make is to not let players play the game after it's sale.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrailsgalore View Post
Age of Conan is still a functioning game and even has an expansion about to be released. But basically the game doesn't even have to be up at all. When you agreed to the EULA, you agreed that what you paid for was either the game CD's, or digital copy, and that's about it. And all Cryptic agreed on was to provide you with those CD's, and ways to DL the client, and that is it. If the servers happen to be up, that is a bonus, technically speaking of course. As far as I know, there is nothing that grants a customer a "minimum" amount of playable hours he/she must be allowed to log on Cryptic's servers, otherwise Cryptic is in breach of contract.
The part the grants players a minimum playable hours is the right to leave the game when they do not get what they feel that they are entitled to. I want this game to succeed, I do not want to see this MMO fail, but be honest to yourself and everyone here that keeps quoting the EULA and stuff. If the servers are constantly down, NOBODY is going to play, unless you are a sucker lol... Why would anyone pay $15.00 a month for something that they cannot play? Seriously think about it...
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 PM.