Career Officer
When I originally started my first Foundry mission, I was going one direction with it that I quickly realized was going to be very difficult, if not impossible, so abandoned the idea.

Now that I've got a good grasp of how the Foundry editor works, I'm considering revisiting the idea for the next mission I do.

Is it possible to branch a map to go to two alternate maps? In other words, the play reaches a spot on the east side of the map and clicks a button--it takes him to one map. If instead, he goes to the west side of the map and clicks a different button, it takes him to a different map?

My thought is that it doesn't seem to be possible, but I wanted to ask to just be sure. If such branching is possible, it opens up some ideas I have. However, it seems the storylines can only be linear--not even allowing you to return to a previous map.

Thanks!
Career Officer
# 2
02-12-2014, 06:40 AM
No, that is not possible.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
02-12-2014, 07:39 AM
I've only seen it done once. In that mission, the map stated with you in a custom made shuttle interior. You had a choice to go down to a planet or its moon. If you chose the moon, it despawned the shuttle interior and spawned a custom moon surface made of rocks. If you chose the planet a different set of objects would spawn for the planet surface. Eventually, no matter where you went, you ended up being transported to an ancient lab which also spawned objects to create a custom interior.

The entire time, the only objective on the storyboard was "Solve the Mystery." Everything was done with triggers hiding and un-hiding objects placed on a single map. If this sounds complicated and time consuming, it is.

@greendragoon
Career Officer
# 4
02-12-2014, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
I've only seen it done once. In that mission, the map stated with you in a custom made shuttle interior. You had a choice to go down to a planet or its moon. If you chose the moon, it despawned the shuttle interior and spawned a custom moon surface made of rocks. If you chose the planet a different set of objects would spawn for the planet surface. Eventually, no matter where you went, you ended up being transported to an ancient lab which also spawned objects to create a custom interior.

The entire time, the only objective on the storyboard was "Solve the Mystery." Everything was done with triggers hiding and un-hiding objects placed on a single map. If this sounds complicated and time consuming, it is.
It gives me the ideas I'm looking for as to how to do it. It does sound ugly. I might try toying with it here and there to get a handle on how to make it work.
Captain
# 5
02-12-2014, 08:43 AM
You'd also have to account in the story for the fact that the split storyline would merge at the transition to the next map.
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Rihannsu
# 6
02-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Well, Pendra(the guy Dragoon was talking about) side stepped that by making it so there was no next map.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 7
02-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Having built one set on top of another, I can tell you that it's quite possible to do the environment switch out on one map, thus giving the player a choice of which custom map loads, but, wow, is it a pain to build the second or third set.

The easiest thing to do is to build one set, then set all of it to invis. Then, build the second set. Eventually you have to sort out the triggers for every object.

Or, I guess you could build set 1, multiselect it and move it out of the way. And then move it back. I wouldn't recommend that based on how multiselect and copy and paste destroyed my maps in the past.

Otherwise, you have to go through the state changes every time you want to adjust a wall, etc. It is not fun.

But it is doable.

Last edited by kirksplat; 02-12-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Career Officer
# 8
02-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Well, Pendra(the guy Dragoon was talking about) side stepped that by making it so there was no next map.
I suppose you could always do it in "Choose Your Adventure" fashion, whereby the mission ends at the decision point, then make multiple, separate follow-up missions stemming from each available choice. Just don't overdo it - not only would such a mission structure become hard to manage with too many alternatives and/or too many decision points, but you could find yourself running into the mission slot limit very quickly (the max is 40, IIRC).
Rihannsu
# 9
02-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Having built one set on top of another, I can tell you that it's quite possible to do the environment switch out on one map, thus giving the player a choice of which custom map loads, but, wow, is it a pain to build the second or third set.

The easiest thing to do is to build one set, then set all of it to invis. Then, build the second set. Eventually you have to sort out the triggers for every object.

Or, I guess you could build set 1, multiselect it and move it out of the way. And then move it back. I wouldn't recommend that based on how multiselect and copy and paste destroyed my maps in the past.

Otherwise, you have to go through the state changes every time you want to adjust a wall, etc. It is not fun.

But it is doable.
carefully naming the objects might help.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 10
02-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
carefully naming the objects might help.
when I do something like this (it's always been in space when I do the "pretend warp" trick) i name them something like this:

01 - Starbase
01 - Ships around Starbase
01 - Warp Component
02 - Warp Trails component
02 - Warp Background
02 - Drop out of warp component
03 - Planet
03 - Bad guys around planet
03 - Background object

The number being which "map" it is. They also get sorted nicely on the left panel

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan