Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by landerfha View Post
Maybe he meant the shirt tuck
you ninny this is the combat section of the forum so all he could mean is the picard manouver picard used on the stargazer xD
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I already had some discussions with a collegue who's also playing STO.

Given the fact that the Picard Maneuver is one of the best known attack maneuvers in the Star Trek universe it SHOULD be in the game. Here is what I would suggest it to be like:

What should it be?
The Picard maneuver should contain a brief Warp Jump and it should be a devastating attack.
Also it needs to be difficult to do and should not be availlable to everybody as it requires exceptional skills.

Solution?
The maneuver should be a tactical bridge officer skill of a high rank. That would limit it to advanced players. In effect there should be a minimum distance for that warp jump, say 10-15 km - just out of weapons range. The ship should target directly at the enemy vessel as the jump needs to be well aimed. If those conditions are met the maneuver could be possible.

What it should do:
When executed the maneuver should result in a short charge up sound followed by a brief warp effect that transports the ship directly to the target, specifically to a position that would allow EVERY forward facing weapon to be fired. The maneuver should also trigger the weapons automatically and should IGNORE all shields. That would certainly blow small enemies out of the water and would do significant hull damage to larger enemies giving the player who used it an advantage.

The attack could only be used prior to a battle or if you manage to get yourself far enough away from the enemy.
How do you guys like this setup for the maneuver?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Why not just call it the "I Win" button Merced?

"Commander, prepare to Win"
"Aye Sir"
"Press the I Win button NOW!"
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithos View Post
i would love the shirt tug thing.
Check yoru emote listing; it's already there
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2010, 07:33 PM
My take is its now built into the ships subsystem to happen automatically when about to take damage that would destroy the ship. The explosion and respawn is what you see. I also keeps you a warp bubble to give the crew enough time to repair everything and attend to wounded.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2010, 07:40 PM
I hate that maneuver

*Vaguely remember the episode starring the Ferengi with the hate on for picard (Damon Bok?)*
Riker: "Mr Data, what are the ways to counter act the Picard Maneuver?"
Data: "You cannot. It is un-beatable"

GTFO!!

Even if you know he is using the maneuver?

Like Picard is basically saying "Hai guyz, picard maneuver inc! lulz"

Why not use it all the time if its that good?

One of those "I Hate Picard moments"....pretty close to a "I hate Star Trek moment"

/e Pushes vein back into neck
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2010, 07:50 PM
haha I was just thinking that earlier while in game that it'd be sweet to be able to do it, Would be ok if it was similar to the abilities like Alpha attack pattern, Just hit it and it performs the move. But I think it'd be better if the game allowed you to perform such a maneuver manually, would open up a whole new combat tactical system to the game
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanese
I am wondering why we are unable to do the Picard manouver.
What is the "Picard manouver", is it where, instead of fighting the enemy, you try to talk him to death, and when that doesnt work, get assimilated over to his side and help to destroy the federation, what a *****! (not forgetting pretending to be french, but speakiung like an RSC actor and putting everyone else on the bridge to shame with you strong cloear delivery and diction!)

Funny thing, in that craapy Insurrection film, didnt Riker use the "Kirk-something-something-corbomite-something" manouver? Guess the Picard one isnt that good after all!
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Quote:
I already had some discussions with a collegue who's also playing STO.

Given the fact that the Picard Maneuver is one of the best known attack maneuvers in the Star Trek universe it SHOULD be in the game. Here is what I would suggest it to be like:

What should it be?
The Picard maneuver should contain a brief Warp Jump and it should be a devastating attack.
Also it needs to be difficult to do and should not be availlable to everybody as it requires exceptional skills.

Solution?
The maneuver should be a tactical bridge officer skill of a high rank. That would limit it to advanced players. In effect there should be a minimum distance for that warp jump, say 10-15 km - just out of weapons range. The ship should target directly at the enemy vessel as the jump needs to be well aimed. If those conditions are met the maneuver could be possible.

What it should do:
When executed the maneuver should result in a short charge up sound followed by a brief warp effect that transports the ship directly to the target, specifically to a position that would allow EVERY forward facing weapon to be fired. The maneuver should also trigger the weapons automatically and should IGNORE all shields. That would certainly blow small enemies out of the water and would do significant hull damage to larger enemies giving the player who used it an advantage.

The attack could only be used prior to a battle or if you manage to get yourself far enough away from the enemy.
How do you guys like this setup for the maneuver?
I love the Picard Manu... its wicked and the idea is sound. Maybe with some tewaking they could get it in

Quote:
"Commander, prepare to Win"
"Aye Sir"
"Press the I Win button NOW!"
LM*O!! This has been the best laugh I've had all night with the servers always going down today.... nice

And for Dk above - this is the Picard Manu... but the "talk to death" manu is also very viable

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Picard_Maneuver
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Aside from the premise of it being a "high rank" tactical skill. After all, if it were an advanced tactical skill, there's no way a Cruiser could have pulled it off, lacking tactical consoles of high enough rank to support the maneuver.