Lt. Commander
Greetings, all!

I've known about STO for quite a while now, and have been on the mailing list for months though not active on the forums. Today I received an email from Cryptic stating that today (Jan. 29 2010) is the last day to get in on the head-start by pre-ordering.

What the heck, I say to myself. I'm going to get it anyway, I might as well get it now and do some weekend exploring.

So, I hit the "find a retailer" link, picked GameStop more or less at random, go their download site, buy the game, and wait. I get two emails almost instantly, both acknowledging the purchase but neither having a key. So I go to the Cryptic page again, find their download site list, and pick FilePlanet more or less at random. There's a que (I'm not a subscriber) so I go to work while it downloads, and get home to find that it has.

Pleased, I install the game; it installs smoothly, no problems. I check my email--still no key from GameStop. The Patcher loads just fine, but tells me "Account Error" yadda yadda, click here. I click, and unsurprisingly it says I have no products.

So I browse the forums and find one post (lost it since, sorry) saying that some pre-orders no longer get you into the head start, and haven't been doing so since the 22nd.

Now, it's no great problem if I don't actually get in on the head start, but I am confused by the fact that Cryptic said I still could, the link on their page sent me to GameStop, and now I can't get a key to get in. If in fact pre-ordering is no longer getting you into the head start, why the email? If they are, what if anything did I do wrong?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. =)
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 02:15 AM
I think I'm in the same boat except I got mine from Steam.

I haven't paid anyone but steam so I don't know if I'm ment to pay for a subscription.

Every time I try to log in it says "Account Error" and like you I have no product key!
Lt. Commander
# 3 Same issue!
01-30-2010, 08:21 AM
I have the same problem. I ordered on Jan 29,2010. And guess what? I order directly from Atari.com just to make sure I would get a Product Key. But Alas! No product key, no email, but surely there is a pending charge in my bank account.

My issue now is that I wanted to try it out on the weekend before the grand opening to see if it would be worth to buy the lifetime membership. However, I am no longer sure what is going on and when will I get my key. So much for going through Atari's website!
Lt. Commander
# 4 >.>
01-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Greetings, all!

Shameless bump, after submitting tickets and emails to all the appropriate places both at Cryptic and GameStop and getting no results.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
My beta key that I got earlyer was also the headstartkey.. got no Idea why tho, bought the game of a Swedish website.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Don't feel too bad, the server has been down pretty much all day it seems so no one is getting a head start at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJet View Post
I think I'm in the same boat except I got mine from Steam.

I haven't paid anyone but steam so I don't know if I'm ment to pay for a subscription.

Every time I try to log in it says "Account Error" and like you I have no product key!
Your key is in Steam.

Right click the game in Steam and go to view CD key.

When I installed and the client launched for the first time, it automatically opened a page to Cryptic to create an account and already had my key in there.