Lt. Commander
# 1 Play or not to play !?
01-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Greetings all,

Someone really needs to help or push me to say that this game is worth buying and or playing !! Being a real Star Trek Fan i have been waiting for this game and I am happy that my computer meets the specifications.

But when I see all the problems that come with the game I am not sure if there is any fun in playing this game. I know that there are allways little problems with games like this and that they will be solved. Being a non english speaker however, its sometime difficult to follow and to find out whats really going on.

I just need this push from someone that tells me that this game is great and that it is playable !

Raimond
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch2010
Greetings all,

Someone really needs to help or push me to say that this game is worth buying and or playing !! Being a real Star Trek Fan i have been waiting for this game and I am happy that my computer meets the specifications.

But when I see all the problems that come with the game I am not sure if there is any fun in playing this game. I know that there are allways little problems with games like this and that they will be solved. Being a non english speaker however, its sometime difficult to follow and to find out whats really going on.

I just need this push from someone that tells me that this game is great and that it is playable !

Raimond
Dutch,

As a long time Star Trek fan I shared your concern, so I signed up for Beta. Now, throughout Beta forum users whined and moaned about everything they could and threatened that all the glitches they were having during beta would carry over so it was a stupid game. Now that beta is over and the glitches have been fixed they're complaining about pre-order bonuses that they already knew they wouldn't get yet.

Please don't take these forums as a rating of actual game play. Many of us are thrilled by this game. It takes aspects of the Star Trek franchise and translates them into a multiplayer environment without being too jarring one way or the other.

If there is a problem it's this: STO is both a Star Trek game and an MMO, so it cannot be perfect in one without hurting the other. The more MMO you have the less Star Trek the stories will feel, the more Star Trek you have the less MMO functionality it will have. So much of the whining you are hearing is from one side or the other complaining that it isn't what they wanted.

Approach this game fresh, expecting neither solely Star Trek nor solely MMO, and you will enjoy yourself much more. Cryptic has already shown a dedication to listening to their fan base. They may never "fix" every complaint, but they can't be expected to when half the fans want one thing and the other half ask for the opposite.

Bottom line, I love it, my fellow Star Trek fan friends and gamers love it, and it is a very playable and enjoyable game. If you are desperately worried about it, find a friend who has it and go nuts for a while to see if you like it.

How you make up your mind and I see you inside.
Deoin