Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenzodiac View Post
As a whole this has been really amusing.
People have been freaking out too much about this game.
Between minor crashes and immersion breaking all I can do is read the forums and picture 90% of the population being morbidly obese covered in cheese doodle dust sitting in a dark room in a skin tight but ill fitting star trek tee screaming at the monitor in frustration.
I'm willing to wager the only people complaining are:

1. People who have never played an MMO before
2. People who have only played WoW, and even then only started playing recently
3. People under the age of 18
4. Trolls
5. Generally annoying people
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethzero View Post
"Mature playerbase" and "MMO" can never be used in the same sentence.

Its like dividing by zero.
Or George Bush and Smart in the same sentence with "is" in between.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Anytime you get these themed MMOs you attract people who are not used to MMOs, many of which are just used to regular computer and console games. So they expect that because they have paid to play, that they will actually get to be able to play whenever they sit down at the computer. They expect that they will be playing a game that is stable and that the content that is in it works. They expect that they are playing a finished product, albeit one that will have a lot more content added.

Come to think of it, if general MMO players' expectations of game launches and being treated like a customer instead of a nuisance weren't so low, perhaps we'd get better games.

Scorus
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fLithm View Post
So true. People really need to relax... damanding their money back. Seriously, if you just have an ounce of patience while they fix things, the game will only keep getting better.
Paitence yes. The problem, from my perspective, is quite simple. The beta ended and all the free keys they threw at the internet expired. That means the only people left who CAN login are the people who pre-ordered. It is highly unlikley that those who were in the beta converted to preorder customers in a 1:1 ratio. it is also true that not every preorder would have been in beta (despite being able to do so), but... it would seem the majority DID.

So, there should be LESS people trying to login, do stuff and generaly futz around in game.

During open beta I didn't really have many issues... just the usual bugs. Here we are, day 2 of 4.... the bit we actually paid to get access to by pre-ordering (the headstart phase), less of us around. And 3+ hours of server outages, whacky maintenance and so on. None of which really happened in OB.

So it's easy to see why people are a little peeved.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
As a whole this has been really amusing.
People have been freaking out too much about this game.
Between minor crashes and immersion breaking all I can do is read the forums and picture 90% of the population being morbidly obese covered in cheese doodle dust sitting in a dark room in a skin tight but ill fitting star trek tee screaming at the monitor in frustration.
You sir, are my hero.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorus View Post
Anytime you get these themed MMOs you attract people who are not used to MMOs, many of which are just used to regular computer and console games. So they expect that because they have paid to play, that they will actually get to be able to play whenever they sit down at the computer. They expect that they will be playing a game that is stable and that the content that is in it works. They expect that they are playing a finished product, albeit one that will have a lot more content added.

Come to think of it, if general MMO players' expectations of game launches and being treated like a customer instead of a nuisance weren't so low, perhaps we'd get better games.

Scorus
Well see, we cant even go down that route. Most of the complaints have included "It wasnt like this in *insert*" which invariably is incorrect and the person is just looking back through rose tinted frames.
Lt. Commander
# 17
Quote:
People cant really handle downtime at all. I am wondering if people quit their jobs and bought a lifetime sub so they can live out their Trekkie fantasies in the comfort of home.

People are freaking out over a couple hours. Its still early in its life. No MMO can perfectly forecast what is going to happen at launch. Wow didnt, ask the population of Khadgar what it was like early on. Same with **** and any big name MMO that has come out in the last few years. It happens. Suck it up, walk away from the game for a few days and come back when it all is running smoother.

If you play something at launch its going to be rough. This is a fact for any MMO out there that has any sort of release hype.

Get some fresh air. Nothing you do is going to get you to the level cap first. I promise, you're better off relaxing or going to play an established MMO for the first few days if you are getting stressed over the same thing that happens during every launch.
Its simple. Its internet so anonymity turns even a mouse into a tiger. All these people who are on rage, threatning and abusing Crytpic and devs, do you think they act so impatient in real life? no way. I am sure all of these internet tough guys take lots of sh*t from their boss, wives/gfs and don't even open their mouth. If they were really that impatient in real life they would be changing jobs and wives every 2 days.

On internet no one can touch them so they can be total jerks.
Lt. Commander
# 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fLithm View Post
So true. People really need to relax... damanding their money back. Seriously, if you just have an ounce of patience while they fix things, the game will only keep getting better.
Patience is not free. Cryptic is no more owed patience on getting their product working than customers are owed patience over paying their bills. Or do you expect that Cryptic will gladly let people continue playing on a lapsed sub because of a customer's complex situation?

If people are frustrated enough with the game that they no longer consider it worth their money, that is their right. The state of any other previous MMOs is irrelevant in that determination. Either a product is worth the price in the mind of the buyer, or it is not, and that is something to be decided solely at the discretion of the consumer. The opinion of others in that determination is also irrelevant.

I am enjoying the game to the point that I laid down a lifetime subscription, but if others no longer feel STO is worth their money, then getting a refund and leaving is their logical course of action.
Lt. Commander
# 19
Quote:

People are freaking out over a couple hours. Its still early in its life. No MMO can perfectly forecast what is going to happen at launch. Wow didnt, ask the population of Khadgar what it was like early on. Same with **** and any big name MMO that has come out in the last few years. It happens. Suck it up, walk away from the game for a few days and come back when it all is running smoother.

If you play something at launch its going to be rough. This is a fact for any MMO out there that has any sort of release hype.
Your right mate.

People can not foretell server load and data center loads / response times during a mmo start up. Unfortunately this is a fact. People need to remember there is life outside the game. The guys at the BIG C will get it sorted.
Lt. Commander
# 20
Quote:
People cant really handle downtime at all. I am wondering if people quit their jobs and bought a lifetime sub so they can live out their Trekkie fantasies in the comfort of home.

Get some fresh air. Nothing you do is going to get you to the level cap first. I promise, you're better off relaxing or going to play an established MMO for the first few days if you are getting stressed over the same thing that happens during every launch.
Well put sir!