Career Officer
# 11
11-14-2013, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspidey2 View Post
Believe me, it's far, far better now.
Although you're not thrown at the Borg right away. You will get to fight them, just not within the first five minutes.
in addition the storyline is a lot more convincing then where it was. it was a shame Cryptic removed the old STF at QS, it would explain the entire reason for the Borg invasion.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.
Captain
# 12
11-14-2013, 05:01 AM
I thought it was an AMAZING start, and it makes it a tad more believable how a cadet gets command of an old miranda class ship out of the academy. I mean the situation with the borg makes it more believable that Starfleet really is short on capable officers and they need you in the hot seat.

My ONLY complaint is the fact that you can't sub say one of the 500 zen ships like the NX or ToS connie or in my case for the science officer an Oberth if you already have it purchased.
How I feel when I hit Transwarp
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
11-14-2013, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talonxv View Post
I thought it was an AMAZING start, and it makes it a tad more believable how a cadet gets command of an old miranda class ship out of the academy. I mean the situation with the borg makes it more believable that Starfleet really is short on capable officers and they need you in the hot seat.

My ONLY complaint is the fact that you can't sub say one of the 500 zen ships like the NX or ToS connie or in my case for the science officer an Oberth if you already have it purchased.
Well, you can't very well sub it out when Ms. Flores cites the ship you're on by name and model in cutscene mode. Besides, you could never sub the noob ship in any of the tutorials (Romulan, KDF, or even the old Fed one) until you were given back control and set loose upon your shipyard, so it's not like anything was changed.
Rihannsu
# 14
11-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Well, you can't very well sub it out when Ms. Flores cites the ship you're on by name and model in cutscene mode.
assuming that the same programming used to tell if your playing a vulcan for the toast scene can be used to tell the class of starship you might chose, if it was possible, at the character creation it would be simple for the voice actress to do a couple of extra lines. there is only eight tier 1 ships anyway

IMO choosing your ship class at the character creation screen would be a nice feature after all you spend so much of your time as the starship its just as much as a character as your avatar
Captain
# 15
11-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I still don't like them moving Vega to Sirius Sector.
In the real world, Vega is in fact only about 25 light-years from Sol. How tiny is the sector supposed to be?
-------------------------------------------

"You're as crazy as the people on Twitter!" - Samuel L. Jackson
Career Officer
# 16
11-14-2013, 06:51 AM
Vulcan is 16LY away and Andoria is 20LY away, notably in the Procyon sector, Beta quadrant. Vega is 90LY away in star trek and that its nearby neighbor systems are Jouret, Pollux. if anything both Pollux and Vega should be around Regulus and Tau Dewa.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.
Rihannsu
# 17
11-14-2013, 07:12 AM
I have no idea why people still worry about the exact location of planets in star trek. the show has contradicted locations, distances, even the position of entire empires since day 1.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 18
11-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Well, you can't very well sub it out when Ms. Flores cites the ship you're on by name and model in cutscene mode. Besides, you could never sub the noob ship in any of the tutorials (Romulan, KDF, or even the old Fed one) until you were given back control and set loose upon your shipyard, so it's not like anything was changed.
Well read down in the next part

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheatitan View Post
assuming that the same programming used to tell if your playing a vulcan for the toast scene can be used to tell the class of starship you might chose, if it was possible, at the character creation it would be simple for the voice actress to do a couple of extra lines. there is only eight tier 1 ships anyway

IMO choosing your ship class at the character creation screen would be a nice feature after all you spend so much of your time as the starship its just as much as a character as your avatar
Yes and no. I actually was able to grind out some Zen and buy some extra slots and had enough to buy the Oberth. It would of been nice like you said at the creation screen to pick a ship to start out with, if you have bought the ship. Basically if you bought the 3 starter ships, you could pick from the miranda or the other 3.

I mean it's not hard to program that in. Couple of do while loops and rock and roll. Plus a little more voice acting isn't too bad.
How I feel when I hit Transwarp
Ensign
# 19
11-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Does anyone have a video link or even a link to a written progression of events of the way the Fed story started out before? I would like to either jog my memory or see if I actually somehow missed the whole startup sequence.

Thanks,

Force

(Edit: Got a couple PMs of the links, thanks gonna check out the new tutorial when it's back up)

Last edited by forcemajeure; 11-14-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
11-14-2013, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcemajeure View Post
Okay perhaps my memory is as buggy as a newly-released MMO expansion. In the past month and a half (ish), I started 3 Fed captains (that is the period since I first signed up to STO).

The parts I recall are being welcomed to Starfleet Academy, being told to talk to various officers, sent to rescue the SS Azura, go help out the Delta Volanis colonies, etc. I don't recall being sent to Vega colony, or fighting the Borg, or anything I would describe as 'awesome'.

I also recall getting a couple crappy common BOffs to start with (Mira - Andorian, etc) whereas my Klingon and Romulan start with purples.

It's possible that everything was so new to me back then (I mean, way back 7 weeks ago) that I simply glossed over it all in my venture to see the next new thing.

Does anyone have a video link or even a link to a written progression of events of the way the Fed story started out before? I would like to either jog my memory or see if I actually somehow missed the whole startup sequence.

Thanks,

Force
Bwah? The original tutorial started as follows:

1. Play STO intro video narrated by Nimoy
2. Zoom in on your newb ship while a voice plays of someone from the Khitomer calling for help
3. You start in the lounge and run up to the bridge, where you talk to the captain, tap a console, and talk to Zachary Quinto.
4. Beam over to the Khitomer, use a tricorder, shoot some borg, shoot some things beside borg, shoot some more borg.
5. Get told that they blew up the bridge on your Miranda and you're the highest ranking officer alive, get a Boff of your choice.
6. Go to space, transport some people, learn to use full impulse, warp out
7. Fight some probes, fight some spheres, fight a cube
8. Beam down to the Vega colony, learn to use a rifle and a kit
9. shoot some borg
10. Beam out and report back to Earth, and talk to admiral quinn, who orders you to talk to Malcolm Sissel and rescue the Azura.

Last edited by unangbangkay; 11-14-2013 at 08:19 AM.