Lt. Commander
I find it hard to believe the servers going down is because of too many people ... If it is, then that's just sad .. not because of the overload, but because of the inability to just limit the amount of people. Many, many online games have to do this in the beginning to keep the servers from going down .. Yes it's frustrating to try to play a game only to be told to try again later because there are too many people..

But I'd rather have that than the servers going down simply due to load ..

Again, I'm actually hoping it is a bug / coding issue and things are just crashing based on the program, not the amount of people.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 06:05 PM
I dont care what it is, i want meh STO!
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryeal View Post
I find it hard to believe the servers going down is because of too many people ... If it is, then that's just sad .. not because of the overload, but because of the inability to just limit the amount of people. Many, many online games have to do this in the beginning to keep the servers from going down .. Yes it's frustrating to try to play a game only to be told to try again later because there are too many people..

But I'd rather have that than the servers going down simply due to load ..

Again, I'm actually hoping it is a bug / coding issue and things are just crashing based on the program, not the amount of people.
My bet, from experience with similar scaling issues, is that the problem has to do with the rate of influx. When the server is up and stable, people come and go at roughly constant rates. When the server first comes up, thousands of people try to get on at the same time.

One of the reasons this causes problems is due to load spirals. A load spiral is a case where load causes you to slowdown and the slowdown causes load, leading to a useless system. For example, if thousands of people try to log in at once, the time to retrieve the list of characters will go up. With the time to retrieve the list of characters going up, the average person will spend more time in the "getting list of characters" phase. As more people try to log in, the number of connections to that part of the system increases exponentially.

Also, things start to happen out of order. Remember the bugs during OB where your toon would be in space or your ship on the station? That was due to load causing things to happen outside the normal order. When things start happening in unusual order, bugs get triggered that were always there but never cause a problem.

Also, adding more servers can cause problems of its own. Adding more servers to reduce the load on each one increases the load on the systems that coordinate the servers. If the system that coordinates the servers can't keep up, it might think servers aren't working (because it hasn't processed the reports that they are fine) when they are, and take them out of service.

Adding complexity and scale to increase performance also creates new failure modes. Complex systems have more resistance to some kinds of failures but also can fail in more complex ways.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 06:10 PM
They probably don't have nearly enough instance servers because most people play solo.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawkan View Post
They probably don't have nearly enough instance servers because most people play solo.
Although that could be a cause for the stability issues, I doubt most people play solo. Most people probably don't even know how to change the teaming mode, and since the default is to join open instance teams, that's what most people will be doing.