Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PISTOLcm View Post
It's called a ping flood, it happens to almost all major online releases. Give it time people, ffs

Hell, my buddy's ISP had outages that they referenced to Modern Warfare 2's release
True, but most peoples thought pattern stops at WHY CANT I__________!!!!!! instant gratification.
I had to go thru steam to re dl the client 3 times do to internet foul ups and "corrupted files"
so heres my first 30mins in headstart and then Off to work!
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-30-2010, 08:07 PM
I find all this quite gratifying personally.

It's going to launch, complete with problems that are slightly better than they were, but problems nonetheless.

People will buy the game, get fed up with the server outages & other issues, they'll then quit. We'll be left with the hard core Star Trek game fans, and a lot of the WoW moaners will vacate as well. After a couple of months, we'll have a pretty cool server with 70% of the the morons gone. Much better than a polished release with a server running below capacity. If that had happened, just think of all these idiots that we'd be stuck with.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2010, 08:08 PM
While I am just as frustrated as the next player that the game's downtime happens to coincide with the times I'm actually able to play, I do not understand the mindset that causes enough rage to consider cancelling a lifetime subscription.

Do you really think that these server problems will still be around in three months? A year? Two years?

Every MMO that has launched has had server issues when it launched, regardless of the popularity. It's just one of those things that happens.

Furthermore, anyone who has been responsible for deploying any sort of software to production servers know that no matter how much you plan, something goes wrong. At my work, for instance, one of our recent production launches got screwed up because in our "prepare production server" documentation, someone had accidentally deleted a line for a directory that needed to be created.

I have full faith that Cryptic came into this knowing how many people would be hitting their servers, and I fully anticipate the administrators have been working hard to keep things going, and will likely be putting in even more overtime when launch happens, to make things as good as they can for the players.

But frankly, things just happen. If you really think you can do better, get a job as a system administrator managing production servers. Companies would love to have you if you can do a production deployment without any problems ever.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2010, 08:33 PM
@Axiem:

It's called frustration, pure and simple. These are the same issues we saw in OB. We were told that new hardware was on the way on 1/16. However, the same issues keep cropping up. When you've spent ~$300 on a game, it's extremely frustrating to have the same thing keep happening.

It's also frustrating to constantly refresh the support page and see some vague message, or sometimes no message at all for up to half an hour. It leads people to wonder whether or not Cryptic has the infrastructure to handle this game or not.

On top of that, many Lifetime Subscribers had a delayed head start (I didn't have the ability to play my chosen race until ~4 hrs post head start launch).

On some level, I think many Lifetime Subscribers are apprehensive given what they've experienced in the last two days and the latter half of Open Beta. We've spent quite a lot of money to play this game, and it's very lacking in polish and network/server infrastructure.

And then when you consider that they've nickel and dimed CO to death after only six months, it gets worrying. Sometimes you just have to repeat "It's going to be okay... different production staff means we won't pay $10 per zone in the future..."
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2010, 08:37 PM
There's about 250 Lifetime subscribers that read/post here. I don't see "many" of them having the same concerns as you. If they did, this thread would be a whole lot larger.

"Most" players realize this is natural and expected for a newly launching MMO. In fact, so far, this launch is much smoother than many of the other MMO launches.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Sinner
There's about 250 Lifetime subscribers that read/post here. I don't see "many" of them having the same concerns as you. If they did, this thread would be a whole lot larger.

"Most" players realize this is natural and expected for a newly launching MMO. In fact, so far, this launch is much smoother than many of the other MMO launches.
You do realize there's more than one thread, right? You do realize that lifetime subscribers talk to each other outside of the forum sometimes, right? Go read any one of the threads about the server issue and you'll see plenty of Lifetime Subscribers who have concerns.

Look, STO is far from a perfect game, It's barely even launch-ready. I've played MMOs since before they had graphics, so I've been around a few launches. STO's Head Start wasn't great, but it wasn't SWG either.

No need to fanboi it up.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Glad to know you're talking to the majority of lifetime subscribers outside of game. That must be incredibly daunting.

Thanks for the history lesson on your gaming background, it changes everything. If your so experienced you'd also know the majority of players never even touch a forum or IRC for that matter. They're busy playing.

No need to fanboi it up? Hardly, just reminding folks that when you post "most", or the majority, you better have some census data to back it up. Stop putting words in others mouths. Give your opinion only and not tell everyone else theirs.

You're frustrated, that's fine. That's all you need to communicate, not assuming your frustration is shared by everyone else.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Sinner

Don't go speaking for Lifetimers. Just because we aren't constantly *****ing in the forums doesn't mean for a second that we aren't ****ed. I, for one, have been working on "fatal errors" that I DID NOT have in beta for two days. I STILL can't even log in because of client crashes.. Crashes I did not see much in beta. There seems to be no need in flooding the threads.. they aren't talking to us anyway. What would be the point.

That doesn't mean we aren't irritated about the money we spent for frustration.

This isn't my first beta. Hell, this isn't my 20th beta. I know how it works, but I also know that it would be nice to know when issues are on the table. There are tons of folks that are having crash issues. Ive changed operating systems, graphic drivers, hard disks, everything. It would really be nice to know its not a problem with MY rig. Can't assume it isn't... even if it did work in beta, the last update might puke at my drivers, etc.

Some meaningful input from these guys would at least let us know if we need to keep pounding or stand by for an update.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
ya its still beta till like 6 months into game when they finally fix all the stuff that should have been fixed at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
resumes season 4 of TNG

Heres the important part:

*waits patiently*