Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
As the title says... my game would crash constantly during ground missions, with an ATI 8950. I took a suggestion from an old thread and turned off dynamic lighting and post processing, and it appears to have solved my problem- I played a whole episode without a crash. The next episode I'll experiment more and try which one causes the crash, but for now, I'm happy.

Too bad the server isn't responding at the moment or I'd test straight away...

I post this as a new thread because virtually every thread in this forum is about the same/similar issue, so hopefully this will fix it for most people.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 05:12 PM
This is a well known fix with many posts about it. This has been an issue since early beta. They need to fix this rather than us, the players, coming up with work arounds.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 05:13 PM
The problem is most people don't bother reading other posts, they just post a thread without looking. So I'm hoping they'll pay a bit more attention to a thread title slapping them in the face. Maybe. :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 06:51 PM
More importantly, I didn't pay $60 to play an ugly game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 06:59 PM
As a tester I turned on dynamic lighting for an episode, it crashed. So I've turned that off and turned on post processing (everything else is set to max, including AA). So we'll see how that goes... I just went through an Orion base with no problems, so I have a feeling it's all dynamic lighting's fault.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm using an AT 4870x2

During OB I crashed on ground all the time.

Turned off Dynamic Lighting. Have not crashed since.

I am getting a strange artifact though. The edges of shadows seems to have large stair shapes to them. And if I move the stairs turn into escalators. Its kinda annoying to look at.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 08:54 PM
None of this fixes my issue unfortunately. ATI 4850 512 meg. Mine gets so overheated that it shuts the computer off within 5 minutes of logging in. I posted this on beta forums on Jan 12 and still no reply from Cryptic. Pathetic. Can't even log into the game long enough to effectively read and comment on the in-game tickets and you get no support here.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 10:46 PM
I played another couple of episodes, dynamic lighting off and post processing on, game stable as a rock. Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevia
None of this fixes my issue unfortunately. ATI 4850 512 meg. Mine gets so overheated that it shuts the computer off within 5 minutes of logging in. I posted this on beta forums on Jan 12 and still no reply from Cryptic. Pathetic. Can't even log into the game long enough to effectively read and comment on the in-game tickets and you get no support here.
I remember one person suggesting typing '/maxfps 30' (without the quotes) into chat in order to put a limit on how much strain the game will put on the video card, have you tried that?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwafu View Post
I played another couple of episodes, dynamic lighting off and post processing on, game stable as a rock. Success!

I remember one person suggesting typing '/maxfps 30' (without the quotes) into chat in order to put a limit on how much strain the game will put on the video card, have you tried that?
Just enable V-Sync. It will cap your fps at your monitor's refresh rate (usually 60Hz)
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwafu View Post

For me, turning off dynamic lighting and/or post processing and/or turning all settings down to minimum did nothing. However, the /maxfps DID work, and I had about a week with no crashes anywhere in the game after that.